LT Headers vs ST Headers - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-01-2015, 12:03 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah when I wrote that I was thinking TT, there would be too much delay for a single I would think. And I have seen cars wit the turbo where the back seat was. I tend to think of things that are not so easy as easy because I have access to my dad's body shop so on that my opinion may be skewed...

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
CandymanGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2015, 08:13 AM   #37
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by mergejones View Post
Mr. Alex thanks a lot Sir for all of your help and advice. I really appreciate all what you have done and will continue to do. I will definitely be talking to you when i get home on my parts. When i do my order i plan to do a bulk order so that i can get started right away. As it gets closer to me coming home i will send you a PM so that we can discuss.

Much Appreciated,

Merge
Hey Merge - You're very welcome sir! I try to be as transparent as possible here. One of the perks is that we're not commission based nor do I receive a pat on the back for pushing one part or another - If you were to even call in to speak with one of our Mustang Experts they'll give you a different recommendation. Having been around the aftermarket community for some time and having had the ability to test a wide variety of parts and brands I'm always going to be here for an unbiased recommendation . Don't hesitate to let me know if you're to have any other questions at all and I'm here to help out and let me know once you're about to place your order.

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:42 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandymanGT View Post

My favorite "idiot identifier" is people who try to tell people then need a little back pressure in their exhaust...

i think this "backpressure" myth got started with a game of telephone and people inaccurately regurgitating info.

Negative pressure, caused by a trough behind pressure peaks is what makes exhausts flow advantageously when compared to being pushed right out into atmospheric pressure air. The exhaust tube acts just like a siphon in the way that it uses exhaust charges to pull other exhaust charges out.

I think that this negative pressure concept actually got misunderstood as "back pressure" aka possible reverse flow, or just exhaust flow interference. Which clearly doesn't make sense for evacuating exhaust in a 4 cycle engine.

The only engines that benefit from reverse flow of pressure from exhaust is a 2 cycle engine, and that is only because fresh fuel:air actually enters the exhaust port for a brief moment. Thats why 2 strokes use an expansion chamber. When the exhaust charge hits the constricting cone, a wave of pressure is sent backwards, which puts the escaping portion of fuel&air back into the engine.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2015, 06:06 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
If you plan on staying NA or going with a SC, then go Lt Headers!.. If your going to go the Turbo route, then go with a set of Tuned Length Headers!.. Forget about shorties!.. For the same price Tuned Length will work better!.. I have a set of BBK Tuned Length on my '04 GT and I'm very happy with them!..

You must be confused. Tuned length headers are shorty headers.
Raeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:27 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raeko View Post
You must be confused. Tuned length headers are shorty headers.
no, tuned length means that all the tubes are the same overall length
Old 04-01-2015, 06:40 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Tuned length and equal length are two different things.
Equal length means exactly that. All tubes the same length.
To be a true header, all tubes must be within 1/4" of each other.
Any more variation and they might as well be several feet different because the scavenging effect is lost.
Tuned length means the total length and diameter of the primary tube is optimized for a particular engine combination and RPM.
Length matters as well as primary tube diameter. This ain't horse shoes. It HAS to be right.

So, you can have an equal length header that is not tuned while a real tuned header is both equal length and also the correct length and diameter.

A shorty header is just a low restriction manifold and that's all.

Tuned by AED
*694 RWHP/677 RWTQ* 10.22@136mph
Currently Assaulting California's Roadcourses
Fabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:41 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabman View Post
Tuned length and equal length are two different things.
Equal length means exactly that. All tubes the same length.
To be a true header, all tubes must be within 1/4" of each other.
Any more variation and they might as well be several feet different because the scavenging effect is lost.
Tuned length means the total length and diameter of the primary tube is optimized for a particular engine combination and RPM.
Length matters as well as primary tube diameter. This ain't horse shoes. It HAS to be right.

So, you can have an equal length header that is not tuned while a real tuned header is both equal length and also the correct length and diameter.

A shorty header is just a low restriction manifold and that's all.
Do they specify which RPM range they are trying to optimize? I feel like you could have any diameter/length tube and just say its "tuned" for a certain RPM, because every different tube length/diameter caters to a different RPM and setup.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:58 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
Do they specify which RPM range they are trying to optimize? I feel like you could have any diameter/length tube and just say its "tuned" for a certain RPM, because every different tube length/diameter caters to a different RPM and setup.
You are right about that....lots of words get thrown around in the interest of marketing so you can say about anything you want and get away with it. Like companies that say their headers are tuned or equal length but the tubes are a foot different in length. They bank on the fact that most buyers don't know the difference, and they are right. What I am saying is that a real tuned header starts with math and ends with a product that was designed especially for your car. The rest is all bull****.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:34 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Here are some cliff notes FWIW:

Things that improve velocity help with torque like smaller and/or longer primaries and smaller and/or longer collectors. Things that improve over all flow promote rpm like shorter and/or larger primaries and shorter and/or shorter collectors but at the expense of velocity which is trading torque for RPM. The trick is to correctly size the header to the intended purpose. Bigger is better does not apply here. Chances are real good the the best header for your car is smaller than you think. Big inch motors and big boost like bigger headers. A stock N/A 4.6 would like a much smaller header to make the most of the small displacement and N/A setup. Also cam profile has a big effect. The better header companies do their best to strike a compromise with a few different selections while the rest either copy them or just don't give a rats azz and give you whatever they think they can sell. This is why a cheapie header company can sell a set for a few hundred bucks while a good header company might be a couple thousand and a real deal custom set of headers can cost 5 grand or more.

Tuned by AED
*694 RWHP/677 RWTQ* 10.22@136mph
Currently Assaulting California's Roadcourses
Old 04-02-2015, 05:55 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabman View Post
You are right about that....lots of words get thrown around in the interest of marketing so you can say about anything you want and get away with it. Like companies that say their headers are tuned or equal length but the tubes are a foot different in length. They bank on the fact that most buyers don't know the difference, and they are right. What I am saying is that a real tuned header starts with math and ends with a product that was designed especially for your car. The rest is all bull****.

Ah yeah I can respect that. I am used to that idea from racing 2 stroke motocross bikes. I think the 2 stroke expansion chamber is the epitome of good engineering. They used their brains to make an extremely simple solution without using any moving parts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT