Clutch pedal sticking and making noise - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-27-2015, 12:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Region: Illinois
Clutch pedal sticking and making noise

So I very recently installed a new clutch on my 98 GT. I did a Ford pilot bearing, Ford throwout bearing, flywheel resurfacing, and a Ram HDX clutch. MM quadrant and FRPP firewall adjuster were used as well.

The first 300-400 miles of the break in everything was great. No issues.

I took the car on a 600 mile road trip and I stopped for gas about 3 hours into it and noticed a clicking noise when the pedal is depressed or released, and the pedal jumps and feels sticky.

It is very noticeable when letting it out slowly. When using the pedal quickly it is very faint and not too noticeable. But it makes slow starts difficult as the clutch movement is very choppy. The clutch grabs really really well and operates fine, the pedal just feels sticky.

The car sat outside in the cold all night and this morning the clicking/stickiness was not there anymore. I jacked the car up and took a look in the dust cover and everything seems fine as far as the throwout bearing is concerned. Smooth movement, not binding up. Everything seems in place and nothing seemed abnormal even with the car running.

I'm going to do a new OEM cable today and see if that helps, and I am also going to grease the pivots/bushings on the pedal assembly.

Any ideas of what else it could be? Anyone else experience this issue?

I am really scared its the clutch fork/pivot because that's the one thing I didn't replace...although I did grease it really well during the install.

Sent from my XT1095 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Roxanne- 1998 Mustang GT Convertible: 5-Speed, 2001 PI 2V swap, o/r h-pipe, Magnaflow catback, MGW shifter,
3.73 gears, Auburn LSD, TA diff cover, MM FLSFCs, Ford Strut Tower Brace, J&M SS Brake Lines, and a lot of visual/restoration work.
DutchManDann is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT