2002 mustang gt brakes tight at one wheel - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-01-2015, 11:39 PM   #1

Region: North Carolina
2002 mustang gt brakes tight at one wheel

I am trying to help my son with his brakes. This was a drawn out process. First I replaced his front brake pads. Wi did not turn the rotors because at the time he did not have the money to get them resurfaced. At this time the car had about 80k miles on it. Lest than 10k miles later it was metal to metal but only on the passenger side. After pulling it apart we discovered the caliper was sticking, so we decide to do a full front brake job on it. We replaced the the passenger side caliper that was sticking and decided to replace the drivers side caliper at the same time. We also replaced both front rotors and brake pads as well as the brake hoses. All the parts were purchased at advance auto. We bled the brakes and master cylinder until we had no air. Pedal felt great. We noticed more brake dust on the drivers side wheel than the passenger side wheel, so we jacked the front end off the ground to spin test the wheels. Pass. Side spun freely. Diverse side spun but not freely. 350 miles rotor was scared and brakes on driverse side worn 40%. Advance replaced the caliper, rotor and break pads under warranty. Drivers side caliper still would not release completely so we bleed all the brakes again. Great pedal but drivers side caliper still sticking. Carried to a trusted shop near by and they checked it out and said everything looked good. The caliper still will not release all the way and don't know what else to do with it. I have great pedal . We took the caliper off and this Pistons worked in and out good until you put it back on the car.can any one help or have suggestions?????????
Bodytech73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2015, 05:15 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I have a similar problem with my mustang, that causes it to actually not stop perfectly straight under really heavy braking.

But back to your question:
I need more info to help you better.

I am wondering, what kind of brake fluid are you using? Was it straight off of the shelf? That matters, because brake fluid absorbs water like a sponge lol.

Another thing, is it both pads just clamping onto the rotor? Is the inner pad more worn than the outer pad? or is the outer pad more worn than the inner?

If both the pads in the drivers side caliper are sticking equally, then it is a hydraulic problem, not a caliper problem. You said that you put new lines in, are they both bent smoothly? A kink in the line will act like a check valve when it comes time to return the brake fluid and release pressure from the pad. You see, there is more force pushing the fluid to compress, than there is coaxing the fluid to release the pad. So you can have great pedal feel and a perfectly working caliper, and no air in the lines, but a kink or restriction in the lines will cause problems.

---------- Post added at 05:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 AM ----------

I have a similar problem with my mustang, that causes it to actually not stop perfectly straight under really heavy braking.

But back to your question:
I need more info to help you better.

I am wondering, what kind of brake fluid are you using? Was it straight off of the shelf? That matters, because brake fluid absorbs water like a sponge lol.

Another thing, is it both pads just clamping onto the rotor? Is the inner pad more worn than the outer pad? or is the outer pad more worn than the inner?

If both the pads in the drivers side caliper are sticking equally, then it is a hydraulic problem, not a caliper problem. You said that you put new lines in, are they both bent smoothly? A kink in the line will act like a check valve when it comes time to return the brake fluid and release pressure from the pad. You see, there is more force pushing the fluid to compress, than there is coaxing the fluid to release the pad. So you can have great pedal feel and a perfectly working caliper, and no air in the lines, but a kink or restriction in the lines will cause problems.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:03 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
In all of this did you ever check to see if your slide pins in the caliper bracket will move freely?
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2015, 05:03 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
In all of this did you ever check to see if your slide pins in the caliper bracket will move freely?
He took his calipers to a shop and they looked them over for him so probably. Any somewhat intelligent mechanic would do that
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
He took his calipers to a shop and they looked them over for him so probably. Any somewhat intelligent mechanic would do that
You'd be surprised at what a mechanic can miss. I'm not saying they did but you never know. Checking them is simple enough anyways its not like it would hurt to verify they are in fact moving easily.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:00 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Anyone know how much a brake upgrade would be. I have the stock brakes but they definitely don't stop to well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

---------- Post added at 09:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 AM ----------

I should have went with Brembo but it's so expensive

buddyrich14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 03:58 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
I had the slide pin problem in my back brakes. It's an easy diagnosis and fix.

Have a big Mustang day!
escottcarp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:56 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyrich14 View Post
Anyone know how much a brake upgrade would be. I have the stock brakes but they definitely don't stop to well.

---------- Post added at 09:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 AM ----------

I should have went with Brembo but it's so expensive

Cobra brakes are anywhere from $300-$700 depending on if you buy new or used. Another option is the S197 front brake adapter from FTR that allows you to run 14" S197 brakes but you'll need 18s to fit those.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:20 PM   #9

Thanks for the input guys. I sorry it has taken so long to get Bach to the thread but my wife and I own a restaurant and it takes a toll on us sometimes. Any way I did use regular prestone brake fluid off the shelf. Brand new sealed bottles. I replaced the brake hose and they were clean. Fluid flowed through great. I will look at some of the other things you mentioned after church tomorrow and post again. Thanks again for your help
Old 04-05-2015, 07:23 PM   #10

So Advance auto parts replaced the caliper the rotor and the brake pads under warranty. I installed the new parts bleed all the brakes again and the master cylinder. Great pedal but the drivers side front caliper is still not releasing completely. I even cracked the bleeder to see if it would release and it did not get any better. Any more suggestions?
Old 04-05-2015, 07:25 PM   #11

I also greased the new sliders
Old 04-05-2015, 07:55 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
It can be a link in the line that you replaced as previously stated. That would definitely do what you're describing. Also when you bleed the suspect caliper does is gush out like the others? Or does it dribble out?

Sent from the mothership.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:16 PM   #13

The brake fluid comes out strong. No kinks in the line. Replaced the brake hose. The crazy part about all of this is that before I replaced the factory calipers I did not have a problem with the drivers side. It was the passenger side that was locking up. Now that I have replaced both calipers the rotors and the brake hoses I have a problem with the side that was working fine before.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:21 PM   #14

I did notice that the old pads were worn pretty even.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:39 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Are you sure the slide pins move freely? Even though they are well greased, they might not slide easily. That was my experience.

Have a big Mustang day!
escottcarp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:28 AM   #16

Sliders work great. The calipers do release, just not enough.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:06 AM   #17

Hello everyone and thanks for all your suggestions on my sons brake issues. I am Happy to say that I have solved the problem! I simply went to ford and got a brake caliper that was remanned by ford or whoever they contract it to. The caliper releases fine now. I won't give up on advance auto I have had a lot of luck with their parts over the years. Anyway thanks for your suggestions and comments. I hope anyone who has had a problem like this will get some use out of this thread.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:09 AM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I've had to take the Cardone calipers back before myself but I've never had an issue where a replacement didn't work, they are pretty good. However, good to hear its fixed.

Gotta remember, the parts store remans are put together by someone in China making like 5 cents an hour who really does not give 2 ****s. Good news is its so easy that most of them are fine and if you get a bad one the store will replace it for free. The world we live in...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Tags
2002 mustang