A/C compressor always on - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-05-2015, 11:09 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
A/C compressor always on

Hey folks,

so i just noticed that my a/c compressor is always spinning when i have the air on and only stops spinning when i turn the a/c off, its also making a weird noise when its spinning. should i be worried because i know its not supposed to be on all the time.

and also the cold ac line next the the heater core always drips water onto the spark plug weld on my o/r x pipe and already caused a small exhaust leak. Any ideas on how to re locate that water drip?

Thanks in advance
robin_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2015, 02:42 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
You may be running low on freon and the compressor is having to work constantly. Or the compressor is failing and not building enough pressure in the system to ever turn itself off.
I recommend taking it to a shop that specializes in A/C for a diagnosis.

If the condensation is coming from the drain hole in the HVAC box, you may be able to attach a hose to it and reroute the water away from the exhaust.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:27 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin_gt View Post
Hey folks,

so i just noticed that my a/c compressor is always spinning when i have the air on and only stops spinning when i turn the a/c off, its also making a weird noise when its spinning. should i be worried because i know its not supposed to be on all the time.

and also the cold ac line next the the heater core always drips water onto the spark plug weld on my o/r x pipe and already caused a small exhaust leak. Any ideas on how to re locate that water drip?

Thanks in advance
Most likely you're gonna be low on freon, go buy a can with the built in gauge for it, make sure you use the correct type of freon, I believe its 134a. I had the same problem last year, adding freon fixed the cycling problem so it wasn't constantly running..as for the water, I also noticed the same problem at the end of last summer. I'll address it this summer when it warms up enough for me to actually use the a/c, most likely just gonna re route it with some plastic tubing

"I don't drive fast, I fly low"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2015, 02:36 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8pony View Post
Most likely you're gonna be low on freon, go buy a can with the built in gauge for it, make sure you use the correct type of freon, I believe its 134a. I had the same problem last year, adding freon fixed the cycling problem so it wasn't constantly running..as for the water, I also noticed the same problem at the end of last summer. I'll address it this summer when it warms up enough for me to actually use the a/c, most likely just gonna re route it with some plastic tubing

"I don't drive fast, I fly low"
thanks yea ill try to put freon in it.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:39 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

**update**

so i just put a can of freon into the system and its at 40-45 psi which is good for the temperature here, still the compressor is always on.

There is also a small puddle directly under the compressor ( about the size of 2 quarters) of a clear oily like substance (idk if its the freon but im pretty sure)
the compressor is also making a weird humming noise when its on. Any ideas?
Old 04-07-2015, 03:48 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

The compressor is probably failing.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:52 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
The compressor is probably failing.
should i buy a new one? what about installation you think ill be able to do it at home with basic tools? Thanks.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:57 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

You can replace the compressor yourself but I recommend going to an A/C shop to recharge the system. It requires special equipment to do the recharge.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:37 PM   #9
WJL
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
My car has AC, open the window and push the peddle "Ford Racing AC Delete"
WJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:42 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJL View Post
My car has AC, open the window and push the peddle "Ford Racing AC Delete"
that's what i'm doing right now haha but when its 90 degrees outside with 85% humidity it's kinda uncomfortable
Old 04-07-2015, 04:58 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin_gt View Post
that's what i'm doing right now haha but when its 90 degrees outside with 85% humidity it's kinda uncomfortable
I couldn't do it either. Lol
Where I am living it is not uncommon for it to be 115+ degrees... FOR WEEKS!!!
It "cools" down to 85 or 90 at night!
The ONLY thing that makes it bearable is the relatively low humidity, most of the time.

Not having A/C is completely out of the question...
Old 04-07-2015, 05:01 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
I couldn't do it either. Lol
Where I am living it is not uncommon for it to be 115+ degrees... FOR WEEKS!!!
It "cools" down to 85 or 90 at night!
The ONLY thing that makes it bearable is the relatively low humidity, most of the time.

Not having A/C is completely out of the question...
Yea the 'winter' down here in south florida wasn't too bad its was like mid 70's during the day and 60-65 at night but now it's getting hot again
Old 04-08-2015, 11:42 AM   #13
WJL
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
its not my dd so not that big of a deal for me, if its too hot i just don't drive it
WJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:25 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

if your compressor is leaking anything, its pag oil.

also, im confused. im no expert on hvac, but ive dealt with plenty of "diy ac recharges".
My compressor, when at the right amount of freon, is always on. it only cycles if it hasnt been used for a while at startup, or if its low on freon. in fact, the problem i had was when its low on freon, the clutch would engage and disengage because it was low on freon. this would cause my idle to jump up when its on, and down when its off. eventually, after doing this for a while at red lights , my rpm would hang for an extended amount of time when i let off the gas and throw it in neutral. it would hang at almost 2000 rpm until at a dead stop, and sometimes just hang. Originally i thought it was a bad iac or something until i realized it happens after the idle keeps changing because of the AC cycling so much. I could still be wrong, but that was my observation.

hopefully i can gather more info here and get a better idea of whats going on?

Mine leaks enough after it gets real cold, maybe a bad seal somewhere. but i can smell pag oil through the vents sometimes when the ac is on for a while, only when the vents are open, so im hoping its not my evaporator that needs fixing.

and a side note, if it helps anyone, ive hear Red Angel Stop leak works pretty well for most leaks. Im considering running that in mine as a last resort before pulling it all apart and putting new stuff in.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:47 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

The compressor is supposed to cycle on and off. Just not constantly.
It sounds like it is your evaporator leaking Fenix. The only way that smell can enter the cabin is through the HVAC box.
I recommend changing the heater core while you have the dashboard out, if you do end up replacing the evaporator.
Some A/C shops have the special equipment to test for a leaking evaporator.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:52 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Thats what I was thinking, except for how closing the vents with max ac gets rid of the smell, and I can smell it in the engine bay. It ran fine today. As soon as it makes the smell again, im gonna search for any oil leaking. Maybe a line is getting too cold and an old o ring is leaking when it shrinks from the cold? I really need to get it inspected somewhere. At least get a better answer. Everytime I get ready to pay for something like that, somethin else comes up that I gotta pay for :/

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 04-09-2015, 08:18 AM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

Failing compressor for sure. Easy to replace the compressor itself but I'd just take it to a shop and pay the $40 or whatever it costs for a recharge. Remember you have to completely vacuum the system when its been opened to air, you can't just replace the compressor and throw some parts store cans of R134a into it because you'll have air in the system and it will never work right.

Evap might be bad too... gots to check that out. I had the AC in my 2002 CRV suffer "the black death" which is when the compressor just eats itself and shoots a bunch of **** all throughout the AC system and the whole damn thing needed to be replaced. I found a full kit for $500 on the evilbays and my father in law (who is a master Honda tech) replaced it all for a 30 pack and a pizza including a system recharge. Hopefully you don't need an entire new system which it sounds like you don't since it still works on and off.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:19 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

alright so im gonna order a new compressor because its already in the 92's here now lol

so all i would have to do is to relieve the pressure on the system not by letting it evaporate into the air instead by paying a professional to take it out and then just unhook the old compressor and bolt the new one up and take it to a shop have them vacuum the system and refill it.
do i fill the new compressor with oil before bolting it up or does the oil go in with the freon? what about other parts besides the actual compressor? thanks
Old 04-13-2015, 07:03 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

A/C compressor always on

The oil is injected during recharge of the refrigerant. First they will hook your system up to a machine and press a button. It will be vacuumed down to -30 inches of mercury for 10 minutes. During that the oil will be evacuated from the system. After that it's leaked checked for a pressure drop over 2 minutes. If that checks out they will inject oil and refrigerant into the system to the correct level. After that it will be cycled to make sure it is at operating psi. If all checks out its done and done. Never knew my EPA 609 certificate would come in handy. Lol

Oh and it's illegal to vent refrigerant into the atmosphere. However if there's a "leak in the system" and all of your refrigerant is lost to the atmosphere there's nothing the EPA can do to you.

Sent from the mothership.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:09 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater2111 View Post
The oil is injected during recharge of the refrigerant. First they will hook your system up to a machine and press a button. It will be vacuumed down to -30 inches of mercury for 10 minutes. During that the oil will be evacuated from the system. After that it's leaked checked for a pressure drop over 2 minutes. If that checks out they will inject oil and refrigerant into the system to the correct level. After that it will be cycled to make sure it is at operating psi. If all checks out its done and done. Never knew my EPA 609 certificate would come in handy. Lol

Oh and it's illegal to vent refrigerant into the atmosphere. However if there's a "leak in the system" and all of your refrigerant is lost to the atmosphere there's nothing the EPA can do to you.

driving the car with the new compressor without oil to the shop wont damage anything right?
Old 04-13-2015, 07:15 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

A/C compressor always on

Yea it probably would. Best keep it turned off. Or keep the belt off of it. The oil is in the system to lubricate the compressor.

Also the liquid refrigerant before it expands into a gas carries the oil to the compressor to lubricate it. So I wouldn't run it without refrigerant. I know people run theirs out every week with leaks in their system. But that's just destroying a compressor. And for a new one that hasn't had the oil run through it yet it would probably be worse.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:45 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

The pressure switch won't allow the compressor to engage if there is no Freon in the system so you will be fine until you get it recharged.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:53 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Ah I forgot about the pressure switch! Yup in that case it would be fine.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:59 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Alright perfect

What are some good places to buy a new ac compressor?
And should i also replace other parts while i'm at it? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 04-13-2015, 11:37 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

It depends on how much work that you want to do!
If you want to replace all of the parts that can potentially cause problems, you will have to remove the dashboard to replace the accumulator.

Check Rockauto. They have different A/C component kits and compressors. And they have Motorcraft compressors as well.
That way, you can compare quality and prices with your local auto parts store.

There is a Rockauto discount code in the General Mustang Forum. If the most current code has expired, leave a post to that effect and I'll try to find a fresh one.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:49 AM   #26
Staff
Regular
Staff

Dash is easy to remove though, might as well do the heater core too if you pull the dash for AC parts if it has never bee done. Pull console, drop the steering wheel, pull the radio and the hvac panel out, remove cluster, remove gloveblox door and trunk swithc, 3 bolts under defroster panel, 4 in the middle and 3 on each side, dash falls out. Interior on the SN95 is stupid easy to do like STUPID easy.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT