Forced induction... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-05-2015, 08:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Forced induction...

Would any one here think twice about slapping a supercharger on an original motor with 203k on it? I have been eyeing a vortech V-3 SI kit. I've been told over and over to go positive displacement supercharger though. But the vortech seems simpler and less stress on the rotating assembly. Any thoughts?

Sent from the mothership.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2015, 08:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Turbo is more efficient and makes more power!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
bwright1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:25 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Local speed shop here in Wilmington nc Carolina Dyno they have a lot of mustang customers and I've watched them Dyno many cars and wTched many of the same street race and turbo is where is at plain and simple

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2015, 08:27 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
I'd definitely make sure the engine could handle it, maybe check and see if the engine needs a rebuild...

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:33 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I love turbos. But they're higher maintenance than superchargers. My motor has a long history of ford factory service. I mean I did an oil change 3k miles ago and it's just starting to look a little brown. The motor is clean and has been well maintained. But there's always the thought in the back of my head that something could come up if I were to supercharge it. Right now it's my only dd.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:41 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Have you checked the compression even on the current engine?
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:58 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Compression is within 5 Psig of each other. They tested at 200 Psig

Old 04-05-2015, 10:39 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Long as u stay at 6psi it's direct simple long term bolt on. No electronics, fuel or fire upgrades needed. With an ol workhorse like that I'd do it in a second flat, throw a cheap in tank pump upgrade and a blower tune and drive the dog krap outta it

Sent from my LG-D415 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 04-06-2015, 02:26 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I'd suggest looking into kenne bell. Call em and ask about the high milage and what too look into. For 5k the will supply you with a 9psi charge cooled kit with all you'll need. It will replace your intake manifold, you'll get a chip to plug into your ECU to program it for safe operation, and I think their boost a pump comes with it but if not I don't think it's required. You'll be putting out around the power limit the engine can safely handle and the power is available at any RPM. Just make sure you run a cooler set of spark plugs to avoid detonation. You will of course have to run 91 or 93 octane though, but thats standard for any boost application. You can probably get it dialed in a bit better for milage and power at a dino tuner but I believe the chip allows you to rock out the second your done with the install.

CandymanGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:52 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I already run 93 with my MPT tune. I would like to do a KB. Aren't they hard to get ahold of. And I've heard horror stories of their customer service.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:26 AM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater2111 View Post
I already run 93 with my MPT tune. I would like to do a KB. Aren't they hard to get ahold of. And I've heard horror stories of their customer service.

I think you are confusing Kenne Bell with Tork Tech...

As far as ppl telling you to go Positive Displacement over Centrifugal... really all depends on what you want. A Vortech is cheap, simple, makes the same power and just plain works.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:08 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I haven't really heard anything negative about tork tech. It's been mainly KB. This is why I'm asking these questions. The vortech kit is very appealing to me. And it is available readily.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:26 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

you can't go wrong with a vortech. base non-HO blower. You really just need the blower itself save yourself some cash and find someone upgrading to a bigger one and pick up their old one for a song. You can buy the aftermarket mounting bracket and the tubing you can piece together from build it yourself kits sold at every go fast parts store. The only tricky part is if its a sealed unit or if you have to plumb for oil lines. Otherwise thats it. tubing and mounting bracket. No need for a kit. Just order the turbine from vortech new if you want..5 grand my *** like 1500 maybe for their non-HO. Crazy people with too much money.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:41 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I'm one of those guys that wants new.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:55 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandymanGT View Post
I'd suggest looking into kenne bell. Call em and ask about the high milage and what too look into. For 5k the will supply you with a 9psi charge cooled kit with all you'll need. It will replace your intake manifold, you'll get a chip to plug into your ECU to program it for safe operation, and I think their boost a pump comes with it but if not I don't think it's required. You'll be putting out around the power limit the engine can safely handle and the power is available at any RPM. Just make sure you run a cooler set of spark plugs to avoid detonation. You will of course have to run 91 or 93 octane though, but thats standard for any boost application. You can probably get it dialed in a bit better for milage and power at a dino tuner but I believe the chip allows you to rock out the second your done with the install.

The chip that you tune the car with a new blower is just to get your car to a tuner to have them tune the car. It's not meant to be driven on for a long period of time.

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:19 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I will have it professionally tuned. I am just looking for real world experience with both systems. I would like to know the pros and cons of each and what would suit my wants. I want more power and drivability and ease of maintenance.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:33 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Basically I've decided to not spend 4k on cams and heads for such little gain. And for the price of them I can get a supercharger and call it good.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:44 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Basically I've decided to not spend 4k on cams and heads for such little gain. And for the price of them I can get a supercharger and call it good.

This is why I sold my 2v and bought a 5.0. Don't get me wrong the 2v's can be fast but take a lot of $$$ to be fast

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:50 AM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah, spending that money on heads/cams is retarded when a supercharger will take the power of the motor up well past what the rods can take and that's with the stock stuff.

The Vortech complete kit including the Vortech tune that literally comes with everything is $4000 shipped to your door brand new. That is the one without the aftercooler. The Vortech aftercooler system tacks on another $1k and requires you relocate the battery but if you are dropping the fuel tank to put in the new pump you might as well move the battery while you are at it. Or a lot of guys install the CX Racing intercooler system which is cheaper and requires a little modification.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:22 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I like about the vortech kit. It comes with everything I need. As far as after coolers I'm not so sure I'd need it for the power level I want to be at on the stock bottom end. Eventually, like I said this will be a track only car. But for now it's my only transportation.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:00 AM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

If you are DDing the car I would actually recommend the Vortech over the KB. Keep your foot out of it and the car will behave/drive/gas mileage of a NA 2V which is nice for commuting but if you DO want the power you just stomp the gas and there it is.

And you should not need an aftercooler for 400hp on a bolt on PI car. And if you ever do want to upgrade you can just buy the CX Racing intercooler kit and install that whenever you feel like it.

Edit: I saw you did a compression test and that's great but did you ever do a leakdown check? That'll really tell you if your motor is still healthy enough to take a blower. And if it isn't... I was just on www.car-part.com for giggles looking at 2V motors and they are just silly cheap. One with 100k is like $200 and will go another 100k easy. Saw a 103k mile WAP blocked Explorer PI motor for $500 right near me. 02-05 Explorer motor is the way to go if you need another one btw. Saving 75lbs off the nose of the car is HUGE and the 02-05 Exploders got aluminum blocks.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:05 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I had in mind. I just don't want to wreck my bottom end.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:13 AM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
That's what I had in mind. I just don't want to wreck my bottom end.

Then make damn sure you have a good tune on it and don't go crazy trying to get every last pony out of it either. 400rwhp is about where you want to stop and don't take it much past 5800rpm.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:25 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Id be happy at 400hp.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:29 AM   #25
Staff
Regular
Staff

You say that now...

Old 04-06-2015, 11:46 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Forced induction...

Double post.
It would be a fun car for a daily driver tho. Also the girlfriend told me to get a 2016 GT 350 instead of a wrx sti.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:38 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

There is no MPG advantage between a KB and a Vortec. Keep your foot out of either and the boost wont come on. KBs have a bypass that is vacuum activated. Also with KB you set the boost and it stays within 1 pound. Hell it stays at the set boost through 80% of RPM range its just a little under at lost RPM and a little over at high.

Vortec changes with engine speed to a larger degree. Now there is something to be said for the effect of a vortec's slower build because its not an instant shock to the engine but the draw back is you'll only have your best boost at the top of your RPM range. So KB is better off the line but a Vortec could out power it at higher speeds. Vortec can also beat off the line if you have a set up that can handle launching at RPM. Of course that assumes you can run more boost than the KB can. Since you are limited by your rotating assembly you can't and you will have faster times from a KB that can hit soon than a Vortec.

You can also get the KB in a non-intercooled 6psi kit for about 4k but if you want to go beyond that you'll want the intercooler to decrease the chance of detonation since you don't want to decrease your compression by rebuilding your bottom end.

As far as customer service from KB goes, my cousin never had a problem getting a hold of them and neither have I any time I've called to ask a question or two (seems like every time I get close to putting one on something happens and there goes the fund). I have also never seen a post about someone complaining about the blower. Most posts I've seen complaining about KB customer service are old, talk about trying to get ahold of them around a major holiday, and/or were unrealistic in general expectation.

As to KB chip, I come to the conclusion that you can happily drive it on their tune because they advertise it that way. That said in order to do that safely it will be quite conservative in both attempt to achieve higher MPG and power which means getting a dino tune would be quite beneficial but is not necessary.

You mentioned wanting low maintenance, I can't speak to Vortec maintenance but KB is a sealed unit. You just need to replace the lube in it ever 12,000 miles which you can do yourself for damn cheap and its super easy.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:43 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

That's great info candyman. I am torn between the two. I would love a KB where do I go to get ahold of one? Are they direct through themselves? Or can I find them elsewhere?

Old 04-06-2015, 02:03 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Forced induction...

They are direct from KB. They have a ton of info on their company site. You'd be looking at their 2.1L system. You can contact them through phone or email but email is slower. Glad I could help.

Used doesn't really exist with KB cause people who have them just never seem to sell them.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:12 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I forgot to mention, for at least one year of the GT500 KB was the OEM charger. If that doesn't scream reliability I don't know what does.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:40 PM   #31
Staff
Regular
Staff

The new vortechs are all sealed units. Pick your poison when it comes to kb vs vortech really.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 04-06-2015, 02:46 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

This is very true.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:25 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I have decided on a kenne bell 2.1 I don't think I'll need to after cool it. Just run 7psi and call it a day.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:39 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

I still like turbo!! On 3 every thing you need upr k frame injectors pump INTERCOOLER forward facing header all hardware y pipe upgrade the turbo to ceramic ball bearings shipped to your door 3800.00 that turbo at 6psi stock everything makes almost 400 at the wheels 10psi spring it's 465 at the wheels and buy another waste gate and get even more power! The beauty of a turbo it's free power no belt slippage no broken belts and they are much more efficient! Don't get me wrong vortech makes some kick *** stuff but a turbo will smoke a blower all damn day!!!

Old 04-06-2015, 05:55 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Sure turbos can make power all day. But they have lag and are difficult and costly to tune. My buddy that races his mustang is twin turboed and said just save yourself money and headaches and get a supercharger. Anyways I called kenne bell and they offer military discount and told me that as long as compression was good, 203k miles is fine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT