Cam install - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-07-2015, 01:04 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Cam install

So the cam/long tube install is finally here.. Just to double check on the cam install tho am I missing anything?

I have the cams, stage 3 comp.. Comp beehive springs, new spring retainers, valve gasket set, and valve stem seal set.. Also have 47lb injectors and it will be dyno tuned withing s few days of the install.. The cams will be degreed.. But do I need new cam adjustable cam sprockets or can just re-key the factory ones since they are bolted on?

Am I missing anything?
keeney35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2015, 07:26 AM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
You need the TFS adjustable crank sprocket. And the comp cams... they are the 270s right? You will be VERY close for PTV so the cams may have to be retarded a few degrees to clear but if a shop is doing the install they should know this. Hopefully... I personally would have gone with Cushman Stage 2 NA cams myself. Cushman sells the TFS crank sprocket I'm talking about though.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:35 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I'm looking at these sprockets, my mechanic said these are good
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=311008738052
he's done a lot of cams on these cars and use these and findanza
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2015, 12:11 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

These are what I was talking about. I can't see the link at work because of a firewall but if its a no-name part I would not want it spinning at 6K inside my motor... TFS is all USA made and high quality.

Trick Flow Mod Motor Adjustable Crank Gear - Cushman Motorsports

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:26 PM   #5
WJL
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Scotty what he is talking about are adjustable cam gears, they do look like an off brand if it were me i would be looking at "Fidanza" or something like that
WJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:54 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah I know he is talking about the cam sprockets but he doesn't need those. You can use the stock sprockets on the cams and then use the adjustable crank gears during the degree process. You can use adjustable cam sprockets if you want but its more $$$ for good ones and I would not trust Chinese **** in the valvetrain. That goes to include Eagle rotating assemblies btw...

Old 04-07-2015, 04:27 PM   #7
WJL
Registered Member
Regular

I have to agree, the crank gear is a way better way to go, i would always be thinking about the cam gear adjusters coming loose.

From reading the thread it sounds like he is replacing the cams with the engine in the car, not that you cant check piston to valve clearance while in the car, but if you are talking bigger lift along with advancing valve timing PTV clearance should be checked.

I think it would be way easier to do on a stand but that's me. You could figure it out mathematically but i wouldn't be real comfortable with that ether.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:34 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

My mechanic is pulling the engine and installing the headers and cams... The eBay brand is OBX.. I'm having him install a new tubular k member to help future maintenance.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:06 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

If you put OBX cam sprockets in your car you are spending $thousands on, you're just as bad as the dude in the other thread claiming to have spent $7000+ on his motor and trying to put an ebay turbo on it. I've seen OBX stuff firsthand, it is dog**** quality.

Use the stock cam sprockets and go with the TFS crank gear. Same result, less money, better quality.

I'd also be HIGHLY suspicious of a builder who would use OBX stuff in a motor TBTH...

Old 04-07-2015, 10:17 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I didn't know anything about the OBX but thanks for the education! So the crank gear you mentioned above is what I need, anything else im missing?
Old 04-08-2015, 07:13 AM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

I dunno exactly what else you have but new tensioners is always a good idea, obviously all new gaskets etc... But yeah all you need to properly degree them is the degree wheel kit which I'm guessing the shop has, and then the stock cam gears/spacers/washers. I'd do new bolts for the cam gears too, ARP is preferred but new OEM stuff will hold up fine.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:53 AM   #12
WJL
Registered Member
Regular

I only mentioned it because you didn't list head gaskets in you original post.

You will have to remove and install the heads at least twice if you are going to check PTV clearance and you should do more than just one cylinder IMO.

Good Luck and take some pictures
Old 04-09-2015, 01:39 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1428604746.254125.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	179557

This is how he's doing mine, mine is going on next

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT