Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Break in period

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  scottydsntknow 
#1 ·
Just installed new lower control arms, a new ford racing 8.8 differential, 3.73 gears, and 31 spline axles. I'm wondering how many miles would I need to break it in and if there is anything I should avoid when driving during that period

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#3 ·
When I had my 410s installed the Shop told me not to worry about it. Said take it easy until you come up to temp the first couple drives but other than that just drive it like normal. They told me they have done hundreds of rearends using the Ford racing gears and have never had an issue with a break in period. He did say if it wasn't Ford racing that he would recommend a couple hundred mile break in period, meaning no hard launches etc.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#4 ·
^It's not just new gears though, new diff too. Hopefully he didn't run too expensive fluids in the rear like $20/bottle M1 or something because good practice says you drain the diff at 500 miles of easy driving, check for shavings or any metals and then re-fill with clean fluid and go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.