Throw out bearing - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-11-2015, 11:02 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Throw out bearing

So my throw out bearing is going out. It makes a high pitch noise even if i don't touch the clutch. And it gets louder when i push the clutch.

Any estimate on how much it will cost to replace?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
joe_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2015, 11:11 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Mines going out too
Jay180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:57 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay180 View Post
Mines going out too

What do you hear? Mine is bad. It makes a loud screeching noise. Even when i dont push it. When i push it it is bad.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2015, 12:40 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Also, its really hard to put the car in gear

Old 04-11-2015, 12:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

It sounds like something's loose and tapping kinda like a whistle. And it's hard for me to put it in gears as well but I think it's my shifter.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:00 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yesterday it was okay. I can even shift with ease. And it sounds like a piece of metal grinding on a chalk board.

---------- Post added at 06:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

Cant

Old 04-11-2015, 01:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Lol I feel your pain. It happens to me going to 3rd from 2nd.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:32 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_117 View Post
Yesterday it was okay. I can even shift with ease. And it sounds like a piece of metal grinding on a chalk board.

---------- Post added at 06:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

Cant

Carefullll, when mine started doing that, I was about a block away from home, stopped at a stop light, pushed the clutch in and bammmm TOB shredded on me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 04-14-2015, 10:22 AM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Its going to be whatever the labor is for them to pull the trans. If your clutch is older it is a good time to do that too since the trans is out... and the flywheel.

For parts, go to a dealership and get the OEM ToB/Pilot bearing. When I say OEM, I mean OEM btw... not FRPP. They are not the same, OEM is better and you can only get them from a Ford dealer.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:03 AM   #10
Road Trip!
Regular

Thats sad. My friend wanted to diy fix his throw out bearing and then gave up. He ended up selling his fobra

Sent from my Barbie Dream Phone
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:32 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post
Thats sad. My friend wanted to diy fix his throw out bearing and then gave up. He ended up selling his fobra

Selling it for a 4 or 5 hour job? I know I sound like an elitist but that's pretty ****ing stupid. You can find a shop that will do it for the actual labor it takes if you can't find a place to rent a lift and a bunch of hand tools for an afternoon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:12 PM   #12
Road Trip!
Regular

Well to be honest we didn't know what we were doing and he didn't have the funds to take it to a shop

Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:42 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Yeap most likely TOB

alecas447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:11 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post

I may end up selling my GT because of these F'in TOBs, I don't have the space nor the mechanical knowledge to be swapping out these POS TOBs when they start making noise, my last one starting chirping over 40k miles, than fell to pieces on me. I now have a brand new one with less than 5k that's already chirping, dk if I can deal with another 40k of this. And I also can't afford to be paying mechanics to swap em out left and right..

Old 04-20-2015, 07:28 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8pony View Post
I may end up selling my GT because of these F'in TOBs, I don't have the space nor the mechanical knowledge to be swapping out these POS TOBs when they start making noise, my last one starting chirping over 40k miles, than fell to pieces on me. I now have a brand new one with less than 5k that's already chirping, dk if I can deal with another 40k of this. And I also can't afford to be paying mechanics to swap em out left and right..

It's normal for them to chirp mine has been doing so since the first week it go put in

alecas447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:36 AM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8pony View Post

The original OEM TOB in my 95 Cobra was chirping at 44k miles and was 8 years old when I bought it in 2003. I replaced it with a FRPP King Cobra Kit (FRPP TOB/Pilot) and it was not making noise when I sold it with 66k miles on the car (22k on the TOB) but I'm sure it was just a matter of time. FRPP does not usually have as high a quality as OEM as I have mentioned before but I did not know better at the time and that was also before FRPP had started farming everything out to China IIRC.

Yet another reason to find an 04 Automatic if you want to stick with a New Edge but can't stand the issues with the manual trans.

Basically these are the issues with the stick shifts until 2005...

1- They all have these cable clutch systems and even OEM TOBs probably won't last 100k miles before making noise. Whole trans needs to come out to do the TOB.

2- T-5s have glass jaws. Smoothest shifting and lightest trans and rebuildable to 600ft lbs but in stock form... can't put a blower or nitrous on the car without worrying about shattering 3rd gear. Only came in the 94/95 SN95 pushrods though but you can adapt them to a modular/coyote via a Quicktime bell.

3- T45 in 96-98 is good for 80-100k tops before the paper blocker rings go. Also need the 5/R fork replaced or you'll eventually get stuck in reverse.

4- T3650 from 01-04 were overfilled from the factory which caused a ton of windage issues, and Ford had to redesign a fork an synchro assembly which happened sometime right before the 05 launch IIRC. Very hit or miss how long they will last, I've seen them go forever, my buddy had to have his replaced under warranty in 2005 for his 2004 GT.

Then there is the 99/early 01 cars. These are the ones to get if you want the best manual trans option in a SN95. These had the T-45s that were factory upgraded to carbon fiber blocker rings that last a very long time and an updated 5/R fork. They have no issues besides normal wear/tear, are a smooth shifting single rail design and are good for more power than the stock rotating assy can handle. If I get another stick shift SN95 I will probably look for one of these and then just swap the center console out for an 01-04. They obviously still have the TOB issues but its the best you can do for a modular IMO.

Now... this all sounds like "go automatic ftw"... well if you just want to drive daily and not worry and have a car that will do good consistent 1/4 times then yeah. And get the 04 with the 4R75w. A bolt on/tuned/stalled automatic PI car with a decent suspension setup, 4.10s and some slicks will go 12.5s all day. However, most ppl still love the stick shift even with the manual trans maintenance. I would for sure recommend the 99/00 (early 01) T45 equipped units for smoother shifts and best durability.

#rant

Old 04-20-2015, 09:03 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecas447 View Post
It's normal for them to chirp mine has been doing so since the first week it go put in

thats pretty much what i heard. At least while cold. Mine quiets down after warm up.
Mine chirps with my foot off the clutch. on occasion, I can lift the clutch pedal up and push it down to readjust the stock quadrant (likely stock original cable, may have been changed at 100k miles. dont knowhow to tell for sure) and the noise goes away. not everytime. and not consistent, like only in the cold or only on a hot afternoon. if i push the clutch slightly, it doesnt go away, but when i push enough to start actually pushed the clutch off, then the sound is gone.
either way, the clutch grabs nice and tight. hasnt given me any greif besides noises.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:37 AM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
thats pretty much what i heard. At least while cold. Mine quiets down after warm up.
Mine chirps with my foot off the clutch. on occasion, I can lift the clutch pedal up and push it down to readjust the stock quadrant (likely stock original cable, may have been changed at 100k miles. dont knowhow to tell for sure) and the noise goes away. not everytime. and not consistent, like only in the cold or only on a hot afternoon. if i push the clutch slightly, it doesnt go away, but when i push enough to start actually pushed the clutch off, then the sound is gone.
either way, the clutch grabs nice and tight. hasnt given me any greif besides noises.
Get a Max Motorsports cable/quadrant/adjuster kit. Install it and then while your car is idling just tighten up the adjuster until the chirping stops. Obviously not TOO much but they do need a slight preload on them regardless and they sometimes will make noise if they are just barely touching. Sounds like yours is doing this because as things warm up, things expand and that is probably just enough to get your stuff seated properly.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT