Clutch upgrade!?! Help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-14-2015, 07:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Clutch upgrade!?! Help

03 gt starting to slip ! Not wanting to put factory back in it. Want something better and longer lasting. Exedy 350 ? Or some other brand ? I am new to the clutch world. Note: this is a DD !
mustangt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2015, 01:05 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
You don't need anything too heavy duty for a daily driver, so something with a light pedal is what you should be looking for.
You should always use a OEM throw out bearing, and a OEM pilot bearing, from Ford. Those are the two parts that seem to fail most often, so the factory Ford bearings are the best choice, no matter which clutch that you choose to use.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:08 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
I have the excedy in my car and love it but it is also not my daily so that is something to consider

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2015, 05:00 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Exedy 400 in my DD Mach 1 here, I think the pedal feel is pretty good not overly stiff but then I am 6'1" and 200lbs. Suppose if I were a smaller build my opinion on pedal feel might be different.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FanOfSkynyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:58 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone have estimate of what a shop would charge for labor, plus resurface fly wheel?
Old 04-16-2015, 01:11 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Shop price... they can do it in 4 hours easy if my dad and I can do it in 3.5 taking a break to eat burgers. If they charge you actual book time... prepare thy anus...

Resurfacing the flywheel should be $60 if they will do it. Get the Exedy Mach 400 11" clutch kit from AM.

Exedy Mach 400 Mustang Clutch 7805 (Late 01-04 GT, Mach 1; 99-04 Cobra) - Free Shipping

This clutch grips very well, is rated for 500ft lbs at the flywheel, pedal feel is nice and light and quality is very good.

Make sure to use the 6% off forum discount, once you hit 50 posts you can get it from an AM rep. However, DO NOT use the included TOB, head to your local Ford dealer and get an OEM TOB and Pilot. Note, I said OEM, don't go ordering FRPP and thinking you are getting OEM, they are not the same. OEM is better. You want to be putting the best bearings in as I doubt you want the trans coming out again.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:37 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Shop price... they can do it in 4 hours easy if my dad and I can do it in 3.5 taking a break to eat burgers. If they charge you actual book time... prepare thy anus...

Resurfacing the flywheel should be $60 if they will do it. Get the Exedy Mach 400 11" clutch kit from AM.

Exedy Mach 400 Mustang Clutch 7805 (Late 01-04 GT, Mach 1; 99-04 Cobra) - Free Shipping

This clutch grips very well, is rated for 500ft lbs at the flywheel, pedal feel is nice and light and quality is very good.

Make sure to use the 6% off forum discount, once you hit 50 posts you can get it from an AM rep. However, DO NOT use the included TOB, head to your local Ford dealer and get an OEM TOB and Pilot. Note, I said OEM, don't go ordering FRPP and thinking you are getting OEM, they are not the same. OEM is better. You want to be putting the best bearings in as I doubt you want the trans coming out again.

Right on thanks, yea I heard to get either OEM TOB or ford racing. exedy 400 hm.. alright !
Old 04-16-2015, 08:10 PM   #8
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
I have a Exedy Mach 350 in my Mach and I hate it lol. The pedal feels like stock, but it's not as smooth as the stock one was. It's more abrupt, like on or off. It's not enough slippage for my taste. I'll be going with something different when this one wears out.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 04-17-2015, 05:03 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

This was not my experience with my Exedy. What cable and quadrant were you using? I had a newer oem clutch cable and a max motorsports quadrant. I will say that replacing the fiore quadrant the guy before me had in there with the max motorsports one made a world of difference.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:30 PM   #10
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
This was not my experience with my Exedy. What cable and quadrant were you using? I had a newer oem clutch cable and a max motorsports quadrant. I will say that replacing the fiore quadrant the guy before me had in there with the max motorsports one made a world of difference.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

I have a FRPP quadrant and adjustable cable. I have plans to get the MM quadrant and cable kit, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. The clutch grabs great there's just little room to slip it. It's on or off.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:39 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

decisions decisions.. Its getting close to that time where I need look at buying one by the end of the month.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:18 AM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I have a FRPP quadrant and adjustable cable. I have plans to get the MM quadrant and cable kit, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. The clutch grabs great there's just little room to slip it. It's on or off.

I'd get the adjustable cable out of there before you blame any issues you have on the clutch. I've seen guys have terrible clutch problems with brand new stuff after installing a parts store cable. OEM cable fixes that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT