WHAT EXHAUST??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-19-2015, 06:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
mustangt03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: orlando
Region: Florida
Posts: 51
WHAT EXHAUST???

I have flowmasters 40s they drone really bad on the highway and not the sound I'm looking for. I just want it sound good and look good under $500 or lower
mustangt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-20-2015, 12:46 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Steve96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Waterford
Region: Michigan
Posts: 2,386
Do you have an off road mid pipe or just flows welded in? I have an off road X with magnapacks welded in and I don't get much drone at cruising speeds, It's tolerable. It has increased since my 410s were installed but still not that bad.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
1996 GT
2003 GT
Follow on Instagram @manicmustangs
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:48 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Steve96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Waterford
Region: Michigan
Posts: 2,386
Flowmasters are known for the drone. Any chambered muffler will give you more drone like that from what I have read. Are you wanting a whole new catback? Cause you could easily get a mid pipe, new mufflers, and have it all installed for under $500.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
1996 GT
2003 GT
Follow on Instagram @manicmustangs
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-20-2015, 07:11 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
mustangt03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: orlando
Region: Florida
Posts: 51
I have stock H pipe and i welded and the mufflers into the stock exhaust, I can do the installation also
mustangt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:34 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,587
They're called Dronemasters for a reason. Get a set of Dynomax Ultraflows. They are $60 each on Amazon I believe. They sound beastly and do not drone. I ran them for 7 years with an OR pipe and aftermarket headers on a 95 Cobra. Always got compliments everywhere I went to the point of even a shop asking wtf they were because EVERYONE else in that area I was in had Flows with the occasional Magnaflow/Bassanni/Borla thrown in.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:18 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
fenixignition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, fl
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,050
if you need the whole cat back setup, and not just the mufflers, these are pretty good about no drone. Steeda 1999-04 Mustang GT Cat-Back Exhaust - Made in USA 040-13868 - Free Shipping! if you can find them used. otherwise, pretty expensive.
__________________
2002 GT 5sp. 16x,xxx miles
Steeda Exhaust, C&L plenum, BBK Throttle Body, Steeda Underdrive, Steeda short throw, unknown stage clutch. Rear main leak. Compressor seal leak. Steeda lower control arms. good tires.
fenixignition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:29 AM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,587
Used exhaust is fine provided it is a fully stainless one like a Magnaflow or the Steeda etc...


That steeda catback is a damn good kit too.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:32 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
fenixignition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, fl
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,050
Hey, scotty, you know how stock exhaust, cats and mufflers, how over the years, they get clogged and get louder? I was told with high flow cats, not to worry about that. but what about say Borla mufflers from like, 2002? do you think those get gunked up? or is mostly free flowing enough to not be a real issue like stock parts?
__________________
2002 GT 5sp. 16x,xxx miles
Steeda Exhaust, C&L plenum, BBK Throttle Body, Steeda Underdrive, Steeda short throw, unknown stage clutch. Rear main leak. Compressor seal leak. Steeda lower control arms. good tires.
fenixignition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:44 AM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,587
I'd leave them honestly. Should be fine. If you are completely OCD you can always remove them (unless welded in) and just take a look.


Only thing I will add to this thread... for a 94-98 car there are MANY catbacks that just look funky with the tailpipes. Flowmaster (and Dynomax Ultras) are pretty much the only kits that have tailpipes that look good on a 94-98 car. 2.5" mirror polished tails for the flows... my 98GT had Dynomax mufflers welded to Flowmaster polished tailpipes and it looked/sounded great.


Other kits will have 2.5" pipe to 3-3.5" tips which looks silly on a 94-98 because you can see the whole pipe.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 06:11 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
mustangt03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: orlando
Region: Florida
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
They're called Dronemasters for a reason. Get a set of Dynomax Ultraflows. They are $60 each on Amazon I believe. They sound beastly and do not drone. I ran them for 7 years with an OR pipe and aftermarket headers on a 95 Cobra. Always got compliments everywhere I went to the point of even a shop asking wtf they were because EVERYONE else in that area I was in had Flows with the occasional Magnaflow/Bassanni/Borla thrown in.
True that ha, yea I want to do cat back so everything looks "clean" underneath. What do you guys think of Pypes pipe bomb?
mustangt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:11 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
phatspeed7x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Pengilly
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangt03 View Post
True that ha, yea I want to do cat back so everything looks "clean" underneath. What do you guys think of Pypes pipe bomb?
I'm currently running my own "built" Pypes pipe bomb cat back on my 04 GT.



-Pypes off-road H pipe.
-Pypes 2.5" mid connecting pipes.
-Pypes M80 race mufflers.
-Custom dual 2.5" tailpipes.
-Stock tips.

If you drive the car "nice" around town it, it doesn't turn too many heads. But once you stomp on it... RACE CAR!

Interior drone may not be any better than what you currently have, but it has plenty of the old school muscle car sound. And that's what I was aiming for. If you can't be fast, might as well be loud!
__________________
~2004 GT with Bolt ons~
phatspeed7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:03 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,587
The Dynomax Ultras are real good for being very mild off idle and cruising around at low RPM. Still throaty and rumbly and ppl for sure know its aftermarket but its not crazy. But when you stomp on it... yeah...
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:34 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
mustangt03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: orlando
Region: Florida
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatspeed7x View Post
I'm currently running my own "built" Pypes pipe bomb cat back on my 04 GT.



-Pypes off-road H pipe.
-Pypes 2.5" mid connecting pipes.
-Pypes M80 race mufflers.
-Custom dual 2.5" tailpipes.
-Stock tips.

If you drive the car "nice" around town it, it doesn't turn too many heads. But once you stomp on it... RACE CAR!

Interior drone may not be any better than what you currently have, but it has plenty of the old school muscle car sound. And that's what I was aiming for. If you can't be fast, might as well be loud!
that sounds good ! might do those
mustangt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:06 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,587
Just beware, Pypes uses real thin and very low quality stainless steel and the welds are... well they are what you would expect from a chinese person making 10 cents an hour.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:22 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
phatspeed7x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Pengilly
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Just beware, Pypes uses real thin and very low quality stainless steel and the welds are... well they are what you would expect from a chinese person making 10 cents an hour.
I beg to differ sir. My M80 race mufflers seem to be well built and Pypes back their products with a lifetime warranty. I know I guy who has a violator axle back setup on his 2009 GT. Has held up extremely well.
__________________
~2004 GT with Bolt ons~
phatspeed7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:06 PM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,587
Put it next to a FRPP or Magnaflow setup. The difference is obvious.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:23 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
mustangt03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: orlando
Region: Florida
Posts: 51
Should i just say screw it an go BORLA, lol and terrorze the town
mustangt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:28 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular
 
Recon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hopkinsville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 6,517
You'll have to buy used for your budget, Borla likes to over charge on their stuff...


Adventure till you drop
__________________
Mustangalley.com
Mustang of the day,
July 12, 2015
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:26 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,587
Borla is way overpriced. Magnaflow is going to be your best priced "high quality" kit. If you need to have a louder exhaust for whatever reason, the Magnapack exhaust is there for you.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:42 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 100
Stay away from pypes. I took them off couldn't stand the junk fitment it was. Trust just spend the extra money and get slp

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
04sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:15 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Steve96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Waterford
Region: Michigan
Posts: 2,386
Again I would get a good quality off road x or h pipe then get a Nice set of magnapacks, slp 2s, borla ataks, or stingers. There are literally a hundred different combos you could go with. Then just have the new mufflers welded in unless you have other issues under there where the entire catback needs to be replaced.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
1996 GT
2003 GT
Follow on Instagram @manicmustangs
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:17 PM   #22
Registered Member

Regular
 
Recon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hopkinsville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 6,517
WHAT EXHAUST???

^ that's not $500 or lower, new...


Adventure till you drop
__________________
Mustangalley.com
Mustang of the day,
July 12, 2015
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:17 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Steve96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Waterford
Region: Michigan
Posts: 2,386
I have a bbk off road x with maganapacks and it Sounds great to me. I may switch to an h though as I do like that sound a little better now and want to change it up a bit too after a few years with my current set up.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
1996 GT
2003 GT
Follow on Instagram @manicmustangs
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:20 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Steve96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Waterford
Region: Michigan
Posts: 2,386
A maganflow catback would probably be over or really close to $500. You can get a UPR x or h new close to $200 or a little under, set of magnapacks for around $170-180, then labor to install and weld those in shouldnt be more than $100-150 (at least around me).

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
1996 GT
2003 GT
Follow on Instagram @manicmustangs
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:30 PM   #25
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
A maganflow catback would probably be over or really close to $500. You can get a UPR x or h new close to $200 or a little under, set of magnapacks for around $170-180, then labor to install and weld those in shouldnt be more than $100-150 (at least around me).

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Except stock pipe size is 2.25". Almost all legit catbacks are 2.5" all the way for the 2/3/4V and 3" for the Coyote/GT500.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:09 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Steve96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Waterford
Region: Michigan
Posts: 2,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Except stock pipe size is 2.25". Almost all legit catbacks are 2.5" all the way for the 2/3/4V and 3" for the Coyote/GT500.
True. I don't know how much more performance is gained by the 1/4", but I know it will flow better and also be mandrel bent and clean. I was just giving an option of a cheaper route and to still free it up a lot. If I was seriously trying to suck every last 5-10hp out of it I would go with an actual cat back system. But for me this route worked well, sounds great, and has aged very well so far (no winters on it though).

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
1996 GT
2003 GT
Follow on Instagram @manicmustangs
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:46 AM   #27
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
True. I don't know how much more performance is gained by the 1/4", but I know it will flow better and also be mandrel bent and clean. I was just giving an option of a cheaper route and to still free it up a lot. If I was seriously trying to suck every last 5-10hp out of it I would go with an actual cat back system. But for me this route worked well, sounds great, and has aged very well so far (no winters on it though).

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Actually, the Borla catback is 2.25" or it was in the 2000s, they may have updated it. They claimed their mufflers were so free flowing and the design was so good it didn't need to be 2.5". I have no idea if true and didn't know anyone who would pay the prohibitive cost of Borla exhausts to test out the theory.

If you are trying to do an exhaust on the cheap I would:

-Stainless UPR mid pipe

-Dynomax Ultra Flows welded into the stock pipes

The Ultras are fully stainless, they are free flowing, they do not drone on the highway and they sound GREAT when you floor it yet mild enough to where you won't attract any popo just tooling around neighborhoods. I had them on my 95 Cobra with longtubes and OR pipe and whenever I saw a cop I just pushed the clutch in and coasted by nice and mellow. Dynomax Ultras are also $60 each on Amazon and top notch quality.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:20 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
alecas447's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Actually, the Borla catback is 2.25" or it was in the 2000s, they may have updated it. They claimed their mufflers were so free flowing and the design was so good it didn't need to be 2.5". I have no idea if true and didn't know anyone who would pay the prohibitive cost of Borla exhausts to test out the theory.

If you are trying to do an exhaust on the cheap I would:

-Stainless UPR mid pipe

-Dynomax Ultra Flows welded into the stock pipes

The Ultras are fully stainless, they are free flowing, they do not drone on the highway and they sound GREAT when you floor it yet mild enough to where you won't attract any popo just tooling around neighborhoods. I had them on my 95 Cobra with longtubes and OR pipe and whenever I saw a cop I just pushed the clutch in and coasted by nice and mellow. Dynomax Ultras are also $60 each on Amazon and top notch quality.

Some people here swear that a 2.5 inch cat back is a lot louder than the stock pipe size


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
alecas447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:48 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
phatspeed7x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Pengilly
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 582
By changing to a off-road H pipe from the factory converters made the biggest difference in sound. And now the exhaust flows alot better too.
__________________
~2004 GT with Bolt ons~
phatspeed7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:03 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
joe_117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04sonic View Post
Stay away from pypes. I took them off couldn't stand the junk fitment it was. Trust just spend the extra money and get slp

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

I have slp. God dang dude they are loud with my bassani x pipe. I heard it outside of the car and i literally thought it sounded completely different from a 2 valve.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
joe_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:02 AM   #31
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,587
SLP is too loud IMO. They're not even mufflers they are just resonators really. I mean if you live out in bum**** Egypt and never drive through a neighborhood or anything I guess but when I lived in my old neighborhood there was a F body with the SLP thing going on and dude would get on it at like 6AM going to work like wtf. It did stop eventually. Either someone said something or dude got a ticket or sold the car or whatever.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:31 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
Slater2111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Jacksonville
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,001
I have LM1s on mine with a prochamber and it's pretty loud. I leave for school at 530 every morning. I just put it in second and cruise out the neighborhood. No one has ever said anything to me about it.


Sent from the mothership.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:06 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
joe_117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
SLP is too loud IMO. They're not even mufflers they are just resonators really. I mean if you live out in bum**** Egypt and never drive through a neighborhood or anything I guess but when I lived in my old neighborhood there was a F body with the SLP thing going on and dude would get on it at like 6AM going to work like wtf. It did stop eventually. Either someone said something or dude got a ticket or sold the car or whatever.

You Are defiantly right on the loud man. I may switch. Magnaflow or bassani


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
joe_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:03 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
phatspeed7x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Pengilly
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 582
Leaving Walmart today I set off a car alarm. Lol
__________________
~2004 GT with Bolt ons~
phatspeed7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Exhaust Exhaust Exhaust cdouglas12 2005-2010 Mustang GT 10 01-24-2015 10:37 PM
Exhaust is driving me crazy, cant find much on exhaust for 67 Joshy Classic Mustangs 0 01-11-2014 07:54 PM
One exhaust tip a little off after Boss exhaust install mmike87 2011-2014 Mustang GT 6 09-21-2012 08:42 PM
New Exhaust Video......3'' Exhaust WaldoGT07 General Mustang Discussion 0 12-20-2011 08:59 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



01:17 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.