Clutch issues. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-19-2015, 07:50 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Clutch issues.

Little history behind my 2004 Mustang GT.

It had a Ford Racing clutch installed at 100k miles. Car currently has 125k. Pervious owner replaced the throw out bearing at 119k. It's have had one of the most stiff pedals I've ever encountered in any vehicle. This last weekend I noticed I had to put my foot to the floor to get the clutch to disengage. And shifting was growing increasing difficult. Also sounds like that throw out bearing is making noise again.

I'm thinking of going with a different clutch set up to get a better feeling pedal. My friend has a stage 3 clutch in his supercharged Mustang and his pedal is even easier than mine.

Looking for a good replacement clutch with a near stock pedal feel. Any recommendations?
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2015, 01:01 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
That FRPP clutch should have an OEM pedal feel.
Your problem may have to do with the clutch cable/quadrant assembly.
Carefully inspect it for worn or broken parts. If the cable is stretching, you will have to push it progressively further towards the floorboards to get the clutch to disengage.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:21 PM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
If dude used an aftermarket cable, that is most likely your problem. Your described issues match up with a fraying/stretched/about to break aftermarket cable or a busted stock plastic quadrant or both.

You also might just have an original stock cable in there and even those don't last forever. Also... the TOB can make noise if there isn't a sufficient preload on it.

As far as what clutch go get... I know I sound like a broken record on this forum but "Stage X" clutch means nothing except some brand's name or a marketing gimmick. Need to actually look at manufacturer's torque ratings. I'll just tell you what I tell everyone, get the Exedy 400, a new or resurfaced flywheel and an OEM (OEM from a dealer not FRPP) Pilot/TOB. Replace your quadrant/cable/adjuster with the Max Motorsports kit. You will not have a problem with this setup unless the install is bad or the trans itself is boogered. The Exedy Mach 400 is rated for 500ft lbs at the flywheel which is more than your stock rotating assembly can take. Pedal feel is light and the clutch grips very well. I put one in my blue 98 last summer before I sold it and it was night and day over the "King Cobra" setup I removed.

Also a good idea to check the fork/pivot ball if the trans has to come out. That area is a wearpoint too.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2015, 04:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

So try a new cable first and see if things improve?
Old 04-20-2015, 05:06 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yes and a quadrant and adjuster if you don't have them either. But for sure a new OEM (oem oem oem they are differnt than the SR/SVE/Napa/whatever) cable.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:03 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1429570920057.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	180560

This was already upgraded it seems...

I see the cable seems worn. Going to start there.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:58 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I'd agree with Scotty on this one.. I have an Exedy(stage 2)clutch kit in my 03, pedal feel is immaculate, I love it.. TOB seems to be fine as of now but only time will tell..

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
torchdNblazen03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:10 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

That quadrant is rigged in too, there are no spacers or anything to keep it from moving around on the studs. Needs fixed asap, like ASAP. Look at how the Max Motorsports quadrant installs.

http://3.cdn.customerpics.americanmu...id=810&hei=608

Yeah...

Just from that one pic I'd be willing to bet with a properly installed clutch cable, quadrant and a good adjuster it will help a LOT. If you have no firewall adjuster that cable is likely some parts store adjustable cable you adjust down by the fork. If its not... then its a REAL rig job.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:42 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I got a new cable, and adjuster ordered. Add some washer to make no wiggle room for that quadrant. watched a few how to videos on how to replace a cable in a mustang. This should be a fairly easy fix. Now just waiting for parts.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:37 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1429749385437.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	696.8 KB
ID:	180877

Old cable was toast!
Old 04-23-2015, 12:21 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lol, called that one. Yeah that would have really sucked for you if it had fully snapped and stranded you... Good to hear you got it fixed. What cable/adjuster did you get? PLEASE tell me you got the MM/OEM cable...

Old 04-23-2015, 04:35 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I went with a Steeda cable and adjuster. Just found out the old stuff was SR brand from American Muscle.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:24 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatspeed7x View Post
I went with a Steeda cable and adjuster. Just found out the old stuff was SR brand from American Muscle.
The Steeda is going to do the same thing. There is a marked BIG difference between aftermarket and OEM cables.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:11 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
The Steeda is going to do the same thing. There is a marked BIG difference between aftermarket and OEM cables.
Haha. I don't know how many times you have given this answer on here in the last year and yet everyone still questions it, lol. If I ever have any issues with mine I will definitely follow your advice!

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:05 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Clutch Cable, Quadrant, and Firewall Adjuster Package

here. straight from my browsers bookmarks.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:25 AM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
Haha. I don't know how many times you have given this answer on here in the last year and yet everyone still questions it, lol. If I ever have any issues with mine I will definitely follow your advice!

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
The best one was when I told Slow4V the exact thing and he completely ignored it, went and got a parts store cable and then had clutch problems for a month and then it snapped on him.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:46 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
The best one was when I told Slow4V the exact thing and he completely ignored it, went and got a parts store cable and then had clutch problems for a month and then it snapped on him.
back when i worked at advance autoparts, i almost bought one at a good price just to hold on to for when the time comes. Then i joined this forum. glad i didn't buy it.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:58 AM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

The attached pic is directly from the MM site. Typical aftermarket cable on the top, MM/OEM on the bottom. This is why you NEVER buy an aftermarket cable.

Max Motorsports contracts out to the same company that makes the OEM cables for Ford so they are identical. For something that could either A-**** up your clutch/trans or B-snap and leave you stranded its not really something to cheap out on. No idea why ppl are so vehemently against spending a little extra on this part but w/e.

edit: here is the link to the full page. It also details why many aftermarket quadrants suck and I can attest to this firsthand. The MM quadrant feels EXACTLY like having a brand new stock plastic quadrant, just a little firmer because no plastic give and no worries about it cracking either. The metal quadrant I pulled out of my 98 when I got it was not installed right and there was a big kink in the cable just like they said. It also had a very wonky release feel, I hated it. UPR/Steeda are better but not optimal either.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/te...ant_cable.aspx

The only thing I'm not sold on is the MM adjuster. Not a huge fan of set screws for adjusters. For the BEST firewall adjuster, the Fiore microclick would get my vote. No set screw, you just turn and it clicks on ball bearings and stays the hell where you leave it. Also makes it easy to adjust the cable because you can be like "ok 4 clicks tighter was too much so lets go 2 clicks looser... no too loose... 1 click tighter perfect".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cables.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	181008  

Old 04-24-2015, 09:11 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I just happened to have a oem cable at work. So I picked it up. Pedal is still going to be hard due to the Ford Racing clutch. Have a feeling the throw out bearing is still going to make noise.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:30 PM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatspeed7x View Post
I just happened to have a oem cable at work. So I picked it up. Pedal is still going to be hard due to the Ford Racing clutch. Have a feeling the throw out bearing is still going to make noise.
If its a FRPP clutch it should feel like stock. My legit King Cobras always did. I cannot vouch for the current crop of "King Cobra Style" ones all over the interwebs.

If your TOB makes noise just try taking up some slack in the cable with the firewall adjuster. Sometimes all you need to quiet them down is a little more preload to get the bearings seated and it quiets down.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:50 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If its a FRPP clutch it should feel like stock. My legit King Cobras always did. I cannot vouch for the current crop of "King Cobra Style" ones all over the interwebs.

If your TOB makes noise just try taking up some slack in the cable with the firewall adjuster. Sometimes all you need to quiet them down is a little more preload to get the bearings seated and it quiets down.
I'll be working on it tonight. I'll keep ya updated.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:07 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I'm hit a road block. How is this bastard routed? It keeps hitting my crose member.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:11 PM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

IIRC it runs right by the driver's motor mount. Can't picture it in my head... the google should know.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:29 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Got it installed. Now just need to fine tune the adjustment.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:09 PM   #25
Staff
Regular
Staff

I've posted how I do it before. Basically involves you under the car with it running in neutral with the brake set/wheels chocked and the dust cover off. I would recommend a person actually in the car with foot on brake. Start tightening up the firewall adjuster until the TOB starts to just spin. Then another 1/4-1/2 turn of the adjuster and that should be about good. If the TOB makes noise tighten the adjuster up a little more to see if a little more preload helps quiet it down. Or loosen it if that doesn't work. That cable was not helping matters AT ALL...

Old 04-24-2015, 11:51 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Got it adjusted to where it pretty matches the engagement on my 99 ranger. Pedal feels much better. Doesn't feel like I'm going to break my leg every time I shift. And the short throw shifter really works good now that the clutch is working like it should. Goes into every gear just fine. No more missed shifts.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:19 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Just got done with a 200 mile trip today. Works amazing.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:08 PM   #28
Staff
Regular
Staff

Good to hear. Told ya the Exedy is a good clutch lol.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:37 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
These parts will get you back to a real good place:

*Maximum Motorsports clutch cable~
Clutch Cable, Quadrant, and Firewall Adjuster Package
*Ford Racing throw out bearing AND pilot bearing~
Ford Racing Mustang Clutch Release (Throwout) Bearing (79-04) M-7548-A
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-7600B/96-04-Mustang-Clutch-Pilot-Bearing
*TOB Tube~
The T45 Source - Proven, reliable T45 Transmissions
*Clutch Pivot Ball Stud~
The T45 Source - Proven, reliable T45 Transmissions
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:41 PM   #30
Staff
Regular
Staff

Right on everything but the tob/pilot. For those you want oem. Frpp is not oem.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 05-05-2015, 09:30 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Right on everything but the tob/pilot. For those you want oem. Frpp is not oem.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Yeah, they may be the same bearing anyway. Win/Win situation...$$
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT