Tuner and HP question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-20-2015, 05:02 PM   #1

Region: New York
Tuner and HP question

How you guys doing. This is my first post on this site and I just have a question about tuners and increasing hp for 1999-2004 Mustang Gts. I own a 2001 Manual Mustang GT with a decent amount of mods: Kooks Long Tube Headers, X Pipe, Slp Loudmouth exhaust, CAI, 75mm Throttle Body, Trick Flow Upper Intake Plenum, accel coils, AC Delete, NGK G Power Spark Plugs, and short throw shifter. I think my next move is looking into buying a tuner. Any recommendations on which tuner would work best on my car (and somewhat affordable). Also are there any other somewhat easy bolt ons I can add to increase my HP? Or do I have it mostly covered. Thanks guys.
Tommy516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2015, 05:50 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I have only used delta force special force's for Ford gas. It worked great for all my mods and supercharger. A lot of trial and error though with fine tuning your AFR and timing

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
allenj125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:58 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Sounds like you have some nice pieces there. I would watch the Accel coils, they are not as good as OEM but besides that... yeah you have it pretty covered bolt on wise for the drivetrain.

What I don't see are gears or subframes or any suspension mods. That is paramount with these cars, you can have 300+ to the wheels with a stock suspension and lose to a car making 250 with good suspension. And lose badly...

That said... a tuner will get you a little more HP but its not going to add a ton to dyno numbers. What it WILL do is improve your driveability/throttle response pretty drastically and basically "wake up" the car from what it is now. Definitely something you should do and highly recommended.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2015, 10:29 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I agree. My car was all over the place until I worked on the suspension. Hotchkis and subframe connectors have me hooking and straight off the line

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
allenj125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:11 AM   #5

As far as my suspension goes, I forgot to say I am lowered on eibach springs which does help with handling. I had a full rear end rebuild last summer and was told I had after market gears installed, is there anyway I can find out what kind, I don't remember. Would I notice my car running better if I went back to oem coils? When I bought the car they were already installed (which was over 2 years ago) so it wouldn't hurt my wallet to throw oems back in. I Can also buy a brand new sct x4 7015 tuner for $300 is that a good tuner and is it worth spending . Sorry for the million questions lol Thank u guys again
Old 04-21-2015, 11:38 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy516 View Post
As far as my suspension goes, I forgot to say I am lowered on eibach springs which does help with handling. I had a full rear end rebuild last summer and was told I had after market gears installed, is there anyway I can find out what kind, I don't remember. Would I notice my car running better if I went back to oem coils? When I bought the car they were already installed (which was over 2 years ago) so it wouldn't hurt my wallet to throw oems back in. I Can also buy a brand new sct x4 7015 tuner for $300 is that a good tuner and is it worth spending . Sorry for the million questions lol Thank u guys again
Do you have caster camber plates up front? I would assume whoever lowered it installed them too but you never know... if not you should add them. You can tell what kind of gears you have by rotating the tires and counting how many times the driveshaft rotates. Jack the car up and spin them, if it rotates 4 times you have 4.10s, 3 and 1/2 times you have 3.55s, 3 and 3/4 times you have 3.73s etc...

You should definitely add lower control arms, Steeda makes some real good ones. As far as your coils, if it is running fine now then don't worry about it but if you ever do have to replace the coils, get OEMs. The SCT x4 is actually a top of the line tuner so yeah it is good to get. You will need to buy the tunes too. Steeda/Bama do free tunes for life and if all you need is a canned tune then they are ok. I'd recommend an actual datalogging tuner though... one member on here recently almost lost a motor on a Bama tune but he road races the car on actual courses at extended high RPMs.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 01:47 PM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Tuner and HP question

Subframe connectors
Subframe connectors
Subframe connectors
Subframe connectors
Subframe connectors
Subframe connectors

And that guy he said about almost losing a motor was me, but I've heard even other "good" tuning companies aren't the greatest for road racing. I also had crap plugs in so that could have affected it.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 03:25 PM   #8

I actually don't have camber plates. The guy who owned the car before me installed the springs, coils and the CAI. He did a lot of dumb things that needed to be corrected when I got it. I will definitely look into getting the plates and the subframe connectors.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT