Mod recommendations. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-20-2015, 05:20 PM   #1

Mod recommendations.

Here is what is happening this summer, and I need some recommendations.

-Getting stage 2 cams. ( hitech)
-Valve springs
-stall converter
-(Have the trick flow throttle body & plenum not installed)
-Need new injectors -have the 19lb (early year 02 gt)
-need coil packs as mine are original.

Need recommendation on springs, injectors( what size). And coil packs.
And how high should stall be and buy from who.

-What brands to trust and what to stay away from?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPod touch using Mustang Evolution
knechtion13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2015, 05:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I know on the COPs everyone will suggest OEM coils. Or a rebuild kit with new springs and boots from Rockauto for about $30. And as far as injectors you will probably want to upgrade to a 24lb but I'm sure someone will interject their opinions on that as well. The 19lb were pretty well maxed out as far as duty cycle with stock power.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:46 PM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
-Cams, highly HIGHLY recommend you take a look at Cushman Motorsports. His "stage 2" cams are better than the Hitechs. Make sure you get the degree service as well as the TFS adjustable crank gear.

-Springs, get them from Cushman too.

-Stall Converter. On a budget, get a Freakshow unit. His shop is in Abilene, TX. Look up his phone number on Google or Facebook him, he makes a very good product. For better known brands... Circle D or a PI Stallion but be prepared to pay double. 2400-2800RPM for a good street converter although with a good tune you really won't know its there till you mash the gas. Also J-mod your trans (search "j-mod tccoa" on youtube).

-Fresh pink top #21 injectors will be fine for what you are doing, or get some 24s.

-Coil Packs, just rebuild them. The boot/spring are the parts that are usually the culprit when they go out, that is $30 to replace all 8 vs $40 per COP if you buy all new Ford units. No reason to replace the electronic coils themselves if they are currently working fine.

What brands to trust and stay away from... that is way too big of a question. Definitely stay away from the chinese knock of companies (SR/SVE/Pro Products). UPR is another one that is VERY hit or miss rip off company but there are a few things they make that are ok. Pypes is crap, BBK/MAC are one step up but you have to be careful... Max Motorsports is a Superior company, Steeda generally makes good stuff, Trick Flow is very good although don't waste your money on the TFS intake manifold for the 2V. MGW just makes manual shifters (as well as a ton of firearms stuff) so with an auto you won't be dealing with them but they are superior as well. That's just a few though there are a TON of companies out there.

Biggest thing with a Mustang is you HAVE to know that the performance aftermarket is HUGE and a LOT of ppl are trying to get your money. There are so many "snake oil" products it isn't even funny. You will not pick up 15hp from a CAI (more like none for most), you will not pick up 10hp from pullies, aftermarket (ACCEL/MSD) Coils will not gain you ANY power etc etc... You get my drift. The Mustang aftermarket, IMO, is 50/50 junk to actual performance stuff sadly but that's what you get with what is probably the most modified vehicle on the road.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2015, 05:49 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
-Cams, highly HIGHLY recommend you take a look at Cushman Motorsports. His "stage 2" cams are better than the Hitechs. Make sure you get the degree service as well as the TFS adjustable crank gear.

-Springs, get them from Cushman too.

-Stall Converter. On a budget, get a Freakshow unit. His shop is in Abilene, TX. Look up his phone number on Google or Facebook him, he makes a very good product. For better known brands... Circle D or a PI Stallion but be prepared to pay double. 2400-2800RPM for a good street converter although with a good tune you really won't know its there till you mash the gas. Also J-mod your trans (search "j-mod tccoa" on youtube).

-Fresh pink top #21 injectors will be fine for what you are doing, or get some 24s.

-Coil Packs, just rebuild them. The boot/spring are the parts that is usually the culprit when they go out, that is $30 to replace all 8 vs $40 per COP if you buy all new Ford units. No reason to replace the electronic coil if they are currently working fine.

What brands to trust and stay away from... that is way too big of a question. Definitely stay away from the chinese knock of companies (SR/SVE/Pro Products). UPR is another one that is VERY hit or miss rip off company but there are a few things they make that are ok. Pypes is crap, BBK/MAC are one step up but you have to be careful... Max Motorsports is a Superior company, Steeda generally makes good stuff, Trick Flow is very good although don't waste your money on the TFS intake manifold for the 2V. MGW just makes manual shifters (as well as a ton of firearms stuff) so with an auto you won't be dealing with them but they are superior as well.

Biggest thing with a Mustang is you ahve to know that the performance aftermarket is HUGE and a LOT of ppl are tryign to get your money. There are so many "snake oil" products it isn't even funny. You will not pick up 15hp from a CAI (more like none for most), you will not pick up 10hp from pullies, aftermarket (ACCEL/MSD) Coils will not gain you ANY power etc etc... You get my drift. The Mustang aftermarket, IMO, is 50/50 junk to actual performance stuff sadly but that's what you get with what is probably the most modified vehicle on the road.
Shoot I called bbk crap on another thread and you would have thought hell was freezing over.
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:58 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Shoot I called bbk crap on another thread and you would have thought hell was freezing over.
Nooooooooooooo you quoted me before I could OCD fix all my grammar/spelling errors! Lol.

BBK is not great. They make good mid pipes IF you don't care about having aluminized piping. Really trying to think what else BBK makes I would recommend... and can't.

BBK/MAC are trade off companies basically. You pay a little more than the china knock off companies and get a product that is a little better but is far from the quality (and cost) of the legit top notch companies. I mean lay a set of BBK 2V longtubes next to a set of Kooks, its not even close.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:00 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

I called there throttle bodies bad and got assaulted verbally lol. I wouldn't put one on my car for sure lol
Old 04-20-2015, 06:09 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
I called there throttle bodies bad and got assaulted verbally lol. I wouldn't put one on my car for sure lol
Probably because every single one of those ppl has one and doesn't want to hear that. The TFS unit is better. Will it actually make a differnce you can feel? probably not. But it is a better quality/fit/finish piece that actually did dyno test better than the BBK. So whatevs.

I would not use a BBK product on a Mustang I took from stock, only BBK product I had on my 98 was the mid-pipe tha the PO had on it and the car was never driven in anything but getting caught in the rain once or twice. The fact that their longtube design involves a kink in one of the primaries vs proper routing to clear the steering shaft says all you need to know about them IMO. And that ridiculous pushrod intake they made... I mean TALK about being late to the party and wearing the same thing as everyone else.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:34 PM   #8

TFS crank gear?

I don't know...I feel like 13 year old coil packs should be replaced. Something about age scares me even with 38000 miles on them.

Do you think 30 lbs injectors would be over kill? Would it be okay to have them in case I do more upgrades?

I've been up in the air on cms and hitech, i know both have decent numbers. Are hire hi techs able to go with a super charger even if they are n/a type? I've read so many things.

I believe cms needs 2800 stall.. Hitech I don't know? Hitech says no springs but I'd rather do it anyway.

Yes I do plan on getting them degreed. Is getting your cams degreed something that is done when putting them in the car or is this something with the purchase that the company does before sending them to you? Not familiar with it. I just know ptv will most likely happen.

Thanks guys

Old 04-20-2015, 08:32 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

You need an adjustable crank gear with a degree service or you won't be able to properly install the cams. Its on the CMS site. Coil packs with 38k on them? Lol, replace the boots and springs and you will be totally fine. 30s are too big or what you want to do and not big enough for a supercharger. A rebuilt/flow tested set of 21s will be cheap and flow enoguh for what you are doing.

As far as numbers for CMS vs Hitech, numbers are just numbers. CMS has great results with the powerband and overall performance. Just because one set of cams might take you accross 300whp doesn't mean that the cams making 290 aren't the better ones. But the Hitechs are good too if you really have your heart set on them. And yes, you need springs.

As far as the stall converter, if CMS says you should get a 2800 for his cams then get a 2800 and make sure your tuner knows you have that stall speed and tunes accordingly.

The degree service, again I'll refer you to the Cushman site. Description is there. Basically the cams come with the gears already on them with marks made by Cushman. Combine them with the TFS crank gear and just line up the marks from the degree service and go. It's kind of like "dot to dot" on a pushrod.

I will ask, what else all is done to the car? Cams and a stall converter should be the last 2 things you do or just supercharge instead of cams if you have the coin. Stock heads/cams/intake and a supercharger or nitrous will max out the stock internals anyway.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:11 AM   #10

What is done : 02 GT 38000 miles w/

3 73 gears
K&n intake
Shorty heads, mid pipe, catbacks
Bama tuner.
Auburn differential

Then of course everything that I'm planning this summer.

The car being 13 years old, those coil packs will go, if I have the money I mine as well replace and be set for years with no worries.

I was thinking 24lbs for injectors.

Another question, will my intake fit the 75mm throttle body?

Old 04-21-2015, 11:27 AM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by knechtion13 View Post
What is done : 02 GT 38000 miles w/

3 73 gears
K&n intake
Shorty heads, mid pipe, catbacks
Bama tuner.
Auburn differential

Then of course everything that I'm planning this summer.

The car being 13 years old, those coil packs will go, if I have the money I mine as well replace and be set for years with no worries.

I was thinking 24lbs for injectors.

Another question, will my intake fit the 75mm throttle body?

24s are fine if you really want them. As far as the coil packs, I have an 03 Expedition and just rebuilt the original 115k mile 13 year old (built in 02) coils and she runs like a champ. YMMV and if it makes you feel that much better to buy new ones, that is $300 vs $30. The original coil packs on my 98 were working phenomenally when I sold it last year too, the Ford electronics are actually very durable which is why Accel/MSD are not upgrades, downgrades actually.

I see no suspension mods either, I would recommend LCAs, lowering, subframes and a good set of wheels and tires before cams unless you just like peeling out while a guy with 50whp less and a good suspension puts a bus length on you. That might be some of the "stuff" you are planning this summer?

Also going to have to get a new tune as well. Bama will not tune for cams. MPT will, as will some other tuners.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:06 PM   #12

Tires I have, have 3000 miles on them, never have had trouble with traction. I still don't believe it will be an issue. Car doesn't make enough power to sit and spin. Im not exactly flooring it every stop light either. If I need I'll get later.

Would not go accel or msd for coils.

Lowering the car is bad news where I live. Pot holes/ driveways.

But thank you for the advice on the degreeing.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:07 PM   #13

Also I do plan on a dyno tune near the area. After all said and done.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:10 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Scotty is more knowledgeable than I for sure so we will see what he says, but I think a dyno tune at that level is not worth it for you. A good email tube and maybe a dyno before and,l after.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:22 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

With near 300hp and 4.10s... you will roast the tires every time with the stock setup. Not to mention the factory 4 link is a limp noodle disaster waiting to happen.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:24 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

I have traction problems with 300whp lol
Old 04-21-2015, 11:44 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
^ that's bad, my traction control is worse than useless, half throttle I'm not moving just roasting the tires. But not anymore...

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:17 AM   #18

I have 3 73 though...

Old 04-22-2015, 02:23 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Not going to make much of a difference. I could toast 18x10s out back in my bolt on PI car with 3.73s and lower control arms with basic suspension mods. Don't even get me started on how terrible the traction was on my 95 Cobra with the stock suspension.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:52 PM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

3.55 with maybe 310 whp and my 255s will burn for days, Definetly address some suspension stuff!
Old 04-22-2015, 05:07 PM   #21

Not to offend the style of driving but I'm honestly not sure how your roasting tires both of you lol. I know exactly what you mean by getting ate alive by a much slower car due to spinning but my god your acting like 300 hp burns tires. Are you taking off at 5k.

I'm looking to enjoy the car around town and get on it every once and while.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:24 PM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Not to offend the style of driving but I'm honestly not sure how your roasting tires both of you lol. I know exactly what you mean by getting ate alive by a much slower car due to spinning but my god your acting like 300 hp burns tires. Are you taking off at 5k.

I'm looking to enjoy the car around town and get on it every once and while.

I'm talking about enjoying every bit of power on tap and yes, launching at 4-5k from a light just havingn a good time. If you just want to tool around town and not take off with any sort of authority... then yeah the stock suspension is fine. If you want to really be able to plant and bark the tires on a 6k 1-2 shift, you need suspension.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:26 PM   #23
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
I can roast 2nd gear with only 255whp and 4.10s. Not that hard to do.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:28 PM   #24

Roast or chirp the tires....

Old 04-22-2015, 05:41 PM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

Roast. I chirp 1-2 and 2-3 without trying
Old 04-22-2015, 05:46 PM   #26
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Roast or chirp the tires....

Watch this and you will understand (especially 2nd and 3rd laps)

HID end all thread
Old 04-22-2015, 05:52 PM   #27
ME Bloodhound
Staff

And 2:20 here

HID end all thread
Old 04-22-2015, 07:01 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Mod recommendations.

I used to be able to literally spin my tires in 3rd if I wasn't careful on the throttle, but now I use pump juice and drag radials. I just burn up my clutch till 3rd gear. Haha.

OP. Get some gears, a good tune, and exhaust. That'll make the car fun. Oh and a mgw shifter is nice to drive around with.

2004 Mustang GT 5 Speed Full Bolt On 370rwhp 440rwtq
12.1 @ 117.9 (1.7) in 1/4th
7.6 @ 92.1 (1.6) in 1/8th
Speed_Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:10 AM   #29

^ he did not read the whole thread lol

Old 04-23-2015, 09:41 AM   #30
Staff
Regular
Staff

What I am kind of getting from this thread is... you have it in your head that you want cams and aren't exactly thrilled that ppl are telling you you'd be better off spending money on suspension.

That's fine... it is YOUR car, if you want the lumpy cams and the sound and aren't going to worry too much about being able to hook up from a 4500-5000K clutch dump ever then ok. I am just saying that if you DO ever want to go to the track or just do a fun 0-speed limit pull from a light you're going to have MAJOR traction issues with the stock setup and the stock wheels/tires.

I and others will speak from personal experience when we say we would rather have a basic upgraded suspenson/wheels/tires with 250rwhp than 280-300rwhp and the stock suspension. The car with the suspension and the 250 will put a bus length on the car making 300 with stock suspension in a race and that is a fact.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:31 AM   #31

I am fine with the advice, but those kind of upgrades do not fit my driving style. it also out of the budget this year. But if I have to take advantage of my suspension by beating the **** outta my engine then no thx. That's my opinion.

I do appreciate all the other advice though.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:27 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

You could add subframes, and LCAs without totally breaking the bank. Do your performance mods and add these to get a little better grip then expand on that over the years. I have tried to add a little something to my car each year and slowly get it to what I want. Now that I'm almost there I realize it will never make the power I now crave without dumping more money into it than what It's worth so I will probably stop doing things and save my money to buy something else in a couple summers.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:30 PM   #33

That is exactly what I do Steve, we are on the same page. Set a budget for the car or a goal for the year and be done until next.

You know it's nice beating a guy from a stop light , but at what cost and happiness.

Besides I get to enjoy my car 5 months out of the year due to Ohio, what is better then hear the nice sound of cams for those months.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:28 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That is exactly what I do Steve, we are on the same page. Set a budget for the car or a goal for the year and be done until next.

You know it's nice beating a guy from a stop light , but at what cost and happiness.

Besides I get to enjoy my car 5 months out of the year due to Ohio, what is better then hear the nice sound of cams for those months.

I agree on the cams. I've been kicking this around as well, I have some of the PI swap parts already rounded up, I'm still looking for a Nice used set of heads though. But what my plan was to get used PI heads, new PI intake, and a stage 1-2 cams installed instead of the stock ones. I still may, but then with the upgraded cam, tune and install this mod list adds up very quick to be $2500-3000. And I don't know if It's worth it or not. My car is really clean, lower mileage, already has some of the common mods and a little suspension work but I don't know! With all that I would be close to 300 whp, once I also add injectors and a trickflow throttle body/plenum into the mix. I'm assuming I would need at least 21lb injectors for this with the cams, Maybe if I went stage 1 I could get away with the 19s. See it adds up quickly!! Damn.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:30 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

And Yes I only get to Enjoy it 5 months as well in Michigan. Maybe that makes it worth it, also I don't have any other "selfish" things that I spend a lot of money on.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT