Need some experienced opinions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-27-2015, 04:04 PM   #1
Need some experienced opinions

Apologize for the length

Hi there not new to mustang evolution but I have never posted before so hi nice to meet everyone. I have a 99 gt with some add ons 3.73s short throw zex wet kit full exhaust minus headers and that was the way I bought it. Now she isn't my first mustang but she's my first edge. So now to my problem... the guy I bought it from put a autometer monster tach in it well I took it for a drive to my shop to check the tranny fluid and it started missing really bad so I parked it hooked it up to scanner and it said 5th cylinder misfire so I took 6th cylinder coil and switched it cleared code and re checked and said 6th cylinder so I said bad coil OK easy enough got a new coil put it on and it ran better. I went to go get my son and 500 ft later it's running worse so I went back and had my mechanic look at it and I left well he said he tried starting it and when he did the tach adapter had white smoke flowing out of it and then it wouldn't start just crank. I unplugged tach adapter completely and re attached the wire your supposed split for said tach adapter still nothing so we coke to conclusion it fried the computer. Got a new one from local parts store put it in and took it to ford dealer they flash it and it starts well when the we're driving it around after washing it smoke started coming out again and this time the 5th coil was melted and now every time you replace it the coil cracks and melts within 5 seconds of starting. So bit the bullet took it back to ford and they said the pcm was bad because it had a miss in it when they programed it and so they need a new pcm which is on the way and I need to replace all the coils before I start it. So does this seem right or do I need to replace them all or just that one or. I mean I never had a problem before this

Sent from my SM-N910V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

99stang46563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:24 AM   #2
Registered Member
Region: California
Did anyone ever pull out the #5 spark plug, during all of this, to inspect it?

straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:57 AM   #3
Yes I did it was not bad a little dark but I replaced it anyways

Sent from my SM-N910V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
99stang46563 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT