Did tune up, now this - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-01-2015, 07:14 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Did tune up, now this

Went ahead and did tune up on the 03 GT. Fuel filter, oil change, cleaned throttle body, and spark plugs.

Changed all spark plugs to OEM Motorcraft. On the far side to the firewall on the driver side, had coolant in the spark plug hole. All the other side was fine. It did have a random misfire before. Now it drives smooth as butter but for how long until it fills back with coolant? Is it the intake manifold leaking? There's no visible leak on the ground or no coolant lost.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2015, 08:18 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I had the same problem with my gt and it was my manifold, my coils were perfect either, you can get a ford updated intake manifold with the aluminum coolant cross over for about $150 if i remember correct and is a pretty simple fix.
bluegt96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:50 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
closer to 200 i think. and yea, sounds like the manifold gasket. Its up to you if you wanna change out the manifold itself, but keep in mind, at this age, its probably brittle and breaking in certain spots. so even if you successfully change the gasket, it will likely leak again soon.
Dont buy a used one either. not worth the risk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2015, 09:07 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Right. Also don't get the Dorman either lol. Learned my lesson the first go around with previous mustang. Is the Bullitt intake worth getting?

Old 05-01-2015, 09:10 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
as far as gains per dollar goes, probably not. but if you want a cool intake that will raise your low end torque quite a bit with a tune, and dont mind spending like, almost 800 bucks on it. to me, it sounds like it would make city driving a lot nicer, with the low torque boost. I would spend a few hundred on it myself. but not the 600 to 800 range. but thats pretty much what modding costs. Soccerluvr has a dyno sheet for his actual Bullit car.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:22 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Pretty sure ford makes a manifold that will boost low and torque and is the ford OEM manifold

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
bluegt96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:00 AM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

If you have coolant in your plug well, then you have a bad manifold gasket or a warped intake. Your stock intake is the updated one... but they all leak eventually, usually under the tstat housing the thin plastic there warps. But if you have having a leak at the rear of the motor my money is on a gasket. If your intake is over 100k miles... I'd go ahead and replace the whole thing with a new FRPP PI intake.

These are the basic options for the 2V:

Stock PI/FRPP intake:

-Great intake, makes good power, supports up to about 18lbs of boost before cracking plastic becomes a potential problem, LIGHT, CHEAP, direct bolt on. Has warping issues under the tstat housing.

Bullitt intake:

-Makes about +5rwtq across the board over the PI intake. Metal so no warping or cracking. Weighs about 25-30lbs more than the PI intake does. EXPENSIVE and not a direct bolt on to a 2V. EGR related parts are almost non-existent so if you live in a state where you need that, you'll have to find a parts car or pay $$$$ on ebay. Throttle cables are aslo discontinued and hard to find among a few other things. IMO, completely not worth it for 5 ft lbs, take that $1k you'd spend on the swap and buy a replacement PI intake and $800 worth of mods you can put right on the car.

Aftermarket intakes (TFS/Edelbrock):

-Great for FI, not so great for NA. TFS intake is $$$ and you have to modify the alternator. the Edelbrock is the one to get if you are FI and it works VERY well in this application. Its not too heavy it bolts right on with the Eddy fuel rails and it looks great.

-Other intakes:

-Pro Products "PI" intake. Chinese junk, have fun with no performance gain over the PI, added weight and heat soak. Also casting flash and potential port mismatches.

-American Muscle "PI Replacement intakes". Never even researched one because why in hell would you just not pay the $20 more and get the FRPP? Likely just a Dorman.

-Dorman Replacement intake. Pretty much Dorman cloning the NPI intake but with ports to directly bolt on to PI. It works... to get someone back on the road for as cheap as possible. Something to watch out for when you buy a used 99/00/early 01 car especially since almost all those cars will have needed the original intake replaced. But its something to watch out for on all PI cars honestly.

Cliff's notes: If you need a new intake and you are not running boost or nitrous, just get a new FRPP intake and Fel Pro gaskets. Torque in the correct sequence in 3 passes ending at 22ft lbs. Rebuild your COPs while you are at it for $30 if you have not recently since they'll be out anyway.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:25 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
And a Bullitt manifold is no guarantee that you won't have any leaks... Mine seeps coolant right in the typical spot near the thermostat housing.
A new gasket is on my to do list.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:33 AM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
And a Bullitt manifold is no guarantee that you won't have any leaks... Mine seeps coolant right in the typical spot near the thermostat housing.
A new gasket is on my to do list.
My new PI intake did this **** too, where the tstat housing attached to the metal crossover. Took coating the gasket in "Right Stuff" as well as a coat of that same stuff around the flange itself. Let it cure for a day and fired the car up and thrashed it up and down the roads around where I lived. Pulled back into my driveway and no coolant smell for the first time since I owned the car.

Old builder's trick is to put a light coat of black RTV around any water passage ports and I have done that on everything I've pulled apart with great results.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:42 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I tried to take a picture of it but it is pretty dry right now. It leaves a very small puddle of coolant in between the head and the manifold when the car hasn't been driven for a week or so. I have been using it as my DD, recently, due to my truck not having the transmission installed yet.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:17 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I was going to order the ford racing intake gasket but fel pro will be fine?

Old 05-01-2015, 12:20 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

FelPro is what I plan on using for mine.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:29 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

The fel pro is really good. I think strays is leaking where the tstat housing meets the coolant crossover.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:39 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Mine is leaking on the opposite side from the thermostat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1430527079449.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	181584  
Old 05-01-2015, 08:18 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Pull, scrape all old material off with a hard plastic gasket scraper, new fel pro gaskets, think coating of black RTV around the coolant passages, should be G2G.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:28 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I'm going to take the manifold apart and clean all of the gunk out of it, while I have it off.

That is another benefit to the plastic manifolds... When they get old and crusty, you just replace them!
Old 05-01-2015, 09:52 PM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lol yeah $200 and 2 hours of time and a 6 pack.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT