2000 Steeda Mustang GT #48 build thread - Page 13 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-02-2016, 05:06 PM   #421
Lorraine's driver

Regular
Supporter

Region: Indiana
So you have B heads, right? Can they be upgraded to handle the cooling probs?

IG: @rcodemach1

Old 04-02-2016, 05:53 PM   #422
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Same as all 4v heads yes.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda build #48. Bolt ons, suspension, Novi 2000.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2016, 06:33 PM   #423
Staff
Regular
Staff

Another score today... I need to go buy lotto tickets while this luck holds up...

I'm in my father's basement looking for something after dropping my daughter off and I see a stack of tires in the corner. He's like "yeah I got these for the Vette but I never am going to use them you want em?" 285/40/17 and 255/45/17 size Goodyear Eagles all with 7/32 tread or better. Uh... yeah? I'll destroy them pretty quick but at least they'll get the car going.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2016, 09:24 PM   #424
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Lucky. Nice score on the 4v

04 GT
Bgrimes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:37 AM   #425
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Another score today... I need to go buy lotto tickets while this luck holds up...

I'm in my father's basement looking for something after dropping my daughter off and I see a stack of tires in the corner. He's like "yeah I got these for the Vette but I never am going to use them you want em?" 285/40/17 and 255/45/17 size Goodyear Eagles all with 7/32 tread or better. Uh... yeah? I'll destroy them pretty quick but at least they'll get the car going.
Score!!
I'm still running eagles on the fronts, are they the ones that had the rim protector lips? Cuz mine are but they don't make them anymore and I really like them

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fomoco4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:46 PM   #426
Staff
Regular
Staff

Hokai so...

Here is what I am going to need. And also I knew yesterday's deal was a little too good to be true. Few things not as advertised but I still got at least $1000 worth of parts for $500 if not more.

1 - Need to get the B heads rebuilt obviously. They are Mark heads so will need to get at least a good set of used Cobra springs or just get aftermarket.

2 - Will need Cobra intake cams. Part numbers on both motors are Mark cams. FML... oh well they are $150 shipped vs $550 for the cheapest 2V cams.

3 - Will need to modify the fuel rails on one of these motors to go returnless or get a set of 99/01 Cobra or Mach rails and modify the mounting tabs on those.

4 - Obviously block work

5 - Will need 4V coolant stuff, the ever more expensive Cobra throttle/cruise cables (will be $250 if I'm lucky for both)...

6 - Will need 99-up Cobra or Mach valve covers since I am COP. Will also need to lengthen the COP wires and reverse the polarity of the wires for 4V. Wiring is free, valve covers will hopefully be cost neutral after I sell my 96-98 ones.

7 - Will need 4V COPS. The 2v ones can be modified but I want everything to fit OEM. Lucky for me I have 16 really low mileage 2V COPS I can sell.

This is, as others on this forum have already stated numerous times, a 95% drop in.

I may also look for a good deal on a forged OEM crank. Might as well while its all out... Kinda mad this "Cobra" motor was just a Mark with Cobra accessories and Intake but when I saw the 6 bolt crank I kinda figured it would be. Like I said, I still got a hell of a deal.

Plan from here is to get these 4V motors torn down and inventoried by next weekend and call up my porter and get an estimate on a cleaning/valvejob on one set of these heads. Then will call the local block guy and get an estimate on one of these Teksids.

Combo will be:

-OEM crank (forged or cast)
-Boss Rods
-Manley SpeedPro forged pistons
-Teksid block .010 or .020 over whatever I can get away with
-Freshened stock B heads
-Cobra intake cams
-Stock Cobra intake
-BBK 62mm twin TB
-FRPP shorties
-VRS X Pipe
-Bassanni Catback
-Steeda factory suspension work
-Paxton Novi 2000

Will make more than enough power to demolish my T45 so going to have to be conservative with the boost. Will tune it to around 500hp and then look to upgrade the fuel system. Currently it is 42# injectors and I still have to drop the tank to look at what Steeda put in for a pump but I'll probably run a Focus SVT pump or a Terminator setup and ID1000s when I upgrade.

Old 04-03-2016, 02:40 PM   #427
Lorraine's driver

Regular
Supporter

I'll keep an eye out for a used throttle cable. Would a Mach 1 cable work on your setup too?

Old 04-03-2016, 03:22 PM   #428
Staff
Regular
Staff

No the 96-98 Cobra is specific and unique. They have been OOP for years and are $$$ now. New ones are $150-$200. I'll have to bite the bullet on that one most likely. Cruise cable is unique too. Near $100 for that.

At least they are readily available still. I'm still amazed that someone has the Novi 2000 4V brackets and needs 2V ones and this swap is going to be free minus shipping cost for 2 brackets. Pretty much everyone I talked to told me if I was going 4V to just sell it and buy a 4V S trim. Super duper rare. And I find one in 12 hrs... I'm taking that as a sign.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:32 PM   #429
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well, pot committed to 4V now. Sent of my 2V Novi 2000 brackets this morning. He already shipped the 4V ones.

Trying to get ahold of the machine shop currently to get an estimate on a disassembly/check/cleaning/valvejob/re-assembly on the heads. Same with the block.

Old 04-04-2016, 04:35 PM   #430
Staff
Regular
Staff

Moar good news. Guy in Maryland wants my 2V. He says his place is basically a mecca of modular parts and guaranteed he has every swap part I need... I may have to go with the 2V and the spare Mark motor and do a trade, he said he wanted both... But not sure I want to part with the 2nd motor as its a Teksid.

I need to make a list of stuff and send it to this guy... if I can get all the $$$ parts in trade and spend no money except gas and tolls that would be fantastic.

Old 04-04-2016, 04:55 PM   #431
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Remember go get a lottery ticket with this winning streak.

Adventure till you drop.
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:12 PM   #432
Lorraine's driver

Regular
Supporter

Glad you found a trade partner.

Old 04-04-2016, 05:41 PM   #433
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon View Post
Remember go get a lottery ticket with this winning streak.

Adventure till you drop.
The guy I traded Novi brackets actually said he bought one because he's been looking for that bracket for months.

Old 04-04-2016, 05:54 PM   #434
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Someone is looking out for you.

Adventure till you drop.
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:14 PM   #435
Staff
Regular
Staff

I dunno, I think a higher power just really wants me to do this one right. Or something lol. I'm not one of those ppl who thinks any sort of religious figure cares about my car build or sports team...

Final combo is going to be a Cobra 4V making 500 or so rwhp on a conservative tune to save the trans and the full Steeda package the car came with. Then I need to take care of the exterior. Interior is in very good shape although... I honestly want to find a cheap 94-98 donor car with a true black interior and swap the whole thing to true black. Did the entire interior in my 98 in a day, just need to find the parts.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:47 PM   #436
Registered Member
Regular

The Mustang gods have spoken!
Scotty shall have a 4V.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:18 PM   #437
Staff
Regular
Staff

I dunno about that lol.

In other news... cannot confirm the year of the Mark heads I got. Suspect they are earlier castings which are not quite as good as the Cobras and do not have beehive springs. So have been on the lookout for a set of Cobra intake cams which usually run $200 shipped and some lower mileage stock beehive springs and maybe a set of real F6ZE Cobra heads.

Found this.

1997 Cobra Heads | eBay

Ships out tomorrow... Will be putting up a bunch of the loose parts I got for sale on the other 2 motors here shortly and I should have my 2V sold for $650 to a guy in Maryland if he actually comes through with the $$$.

Now off to bed before the wife comes in and drags me off the computer...

Old 04-06-2016, 06:25 AM   #438
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I dunno about that lol.

In other news... cannot confirm the year of the Mark heads I got. Suspect they are earlier castings which are not quite as good as the Cobras and do not have beehive springs. So have been on the lookout for a set of Cobra intake cams which usually run $200 shipped and some lower mileage stock beehive springs and maybe a set of real F6ZE Cobra heads.

Found this.

1997 Cobra Heads | eBay

Ships out tomorrow... Will be putting up a bunch of the loose parts I got for sale on the other 2 motors here shortly and I should have my 2V sold for $650 to a guy in Maryland if he actually comes through with the $$$.

Now off to bed before the wife comes in and drags me off the computer...
Dam Scotty you sure do have a wealth of knowledge on what's what motor wise and what to get and what not to lots of good info from you

UPR X Pipe, UPR CAI, Ford Racing C Springs, Mach 1 grill delete, Chin Spoiler, Magnaflow exhaust, SCT 4 Bama Tuned
jeno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:53 AM   #439
Staff
Regular
Staff

Honestly a lot of this modular stuff I'm still learning on the fly. This is my first 4V. There is a LOT of bad info out there which is par the course for car forums...

Biggest thing is research, research, research and get actual part numbers and documented stuff vs randos on the internet. Like with the B heads, everyone will tell you the Mark heads are the same as the Cobra heads. Not the case unless you get a late 97/98 Mark and even then...

I am good now tho, low mileage real Cobra heads, cams, springs etc... I need to see what the stock beehive springs are good for RPM/boost wise, they might be enough for what I am doing. If not I'll call Cushman.

Now I just need to break down and inventory and sell the 2 motors I have, get the 2V out of here and get the 2V out of my car and part that too...

Old 04-06-2016, 10:06 AM   #440
Registered Member
Regular

I'm sure you'll do good now get to it Scotty

Mods: Upr Xpipe, Upr CAI, Ford Racing C Springs, Mach grill delete, Chin spoiler, Magnaflow exhaust, SCT 4 Bama Tuned
Old 04-06-2016, 10:25 AM   #441
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well it got cold as **** here 26 degrees through a lot of the morning... and work and junk... Needs to warm up before I mess with cutting my hands up on rusty cold metal lol. I hope to have a motor torn down before the weekend and the other one on the weekend. Its my daughter's birthday but I can probably free up Saturday evening and a 6 pack to do it.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:53 AM   #442
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Quote:
Well it got cold as **** here 26 degrees through a lot of the morning... and work and junk... Needs to warm up before I mess with cutting my hands up on rusty cold metal lol. I hope to have a motor torn down before the weekend and the other one on the weekend. Its my daughter's birthday but I can probably free up Saturday evening and a 6 pack to do it.
Agree. We got more snow yesterday and won't really warm up til next week. Getting real sick of this late snow crap.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2016, 12:17 PM   #443
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Its been in the 30s here too, dipped into the teens monday night

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:31 PM   #444
ME Bloodhound
Supporter
Staff

Mid 70s here today. I'm in shorts and a T shirt lol.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:56 PM   #445
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lol yeah damn you...

One thing I am realizing from this build is how much hate there is for the B heads except for the ppl that run them.

To be totally honest, the C head intake looks so bad its almost a reason alone to run the B heads for the intake... Although an adapter is available that mates the B upper to the C lower and you get the best of all worlds. There are 2 left from an old group buy and that may be it forever. I have half a mind to pick one up just in case I ever go C heads.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:37 PM   #446
Lorraine's driver

Regular
Supporter

Don't the B and C heads look the same on the outside? I thought it was just internal updates for cooling that was the difference.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:43 AM   #447
Staff
Regular
Staff

Its a completely different port design and the intake valley is narrower once they are installed which is why there was only ever one positive displacement style blower for them and it was non-intercooled.

There does exist a custom made adapter plate to put the B upper intake on the C lower intake to get the best of all worlds. The guy only has 2 left and I'm kicking around picking one up just to have it in case I ever go with C heads. Problem is they are $200 and I don't need one right now.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:12 PM   #448
Staff
Regular
Staff

Woo! Fits like a glove! Still amazed I found this bracket set. The 2v brackets are almost impossible to find but they made way less 4v stuff. The guy who got my 2v brackets had been looking for months. I had my want ad up for all of 12 hrs.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1460074057988.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	199394  

Old 04-07-2016, 06:35 PM   #449
Registered Member
Regular

Sweet!

You know, it doesn't look like it would be too difficult to reproduce that bracket. Especially since you have one to copy sitting right in front of you..
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:46 PM   #450
Registered Member
Regular

Yes I would take it to a machine shop have it put on a CNC and make copies

UPR X Pipe, UPR CAI, Ford Racing C Springs, Mach 1 grill delete, Chin Spoiler, Magnaflow exhaust, SCT 4 Bama Tuned
Old 04-07-2016, 07:19 PM   #451
Staff
Regular
Staff

Novi 2000 hasn't been made for awhile and does not share any bolt pattern with other Novis or Vortechs so I doubt the demand would be there.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:47 AM   #452
Staff
Regular
Staff

Found a brand new set of bassanni mid lengths and mid pipe for 4v on cl but ad is a month old. Ridiculosly good price. Sent email and text just to see. Not sure if I want them and probably don't need since I have frpp shorties and a new catted pipe but we'll see.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:57 AM   #453
Registered Member
Regular

Man I bet bassanni would sound sweet on your car

Old 04-09-2016, 10:20 AM   #454
Lorraine's driver

Regular
Supporter

I'm having a tough time deciding on LT's or shorties. EVERYBODY says shorties are a waste on 4v's because the longtubes do so well, but I hate the idea that you have to remove them to work on the tranny/clutch etc.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:47 AM   #455
Staff
Regular
Staff

Mid lengths you can pull the trans ok and they pass the visual if longtubes are illegal.

Also shorties are fine especially when boosted. Hell the termi guys run up to 600+ on the stock manifolds.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT