2000 Steeda Mustang GT #48 build thread - Page 14 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-09-2016, 03:35 PM   #456
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Ugh, I really hope this person gets back to me... at least to know either way. Because its an OBO ad and if they are still available I can probably turn around and sell my VRS pipe for $300 and the FRPP headers I have for $150 and the BBK shorties on the 2V for $100-$150 and make all of it back.

Mustang cobra headers and mid pipe bassani
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2016, 03:35 PM   #457
Staff
Regular
Staff

Ugh, I really hope this person gets back to me... at least to know either way. Because its an OBO ad and if they are still available I can probably turn around and sell my VRS pipe for $300 and the FRPP headers I have for $150 and the BBK shorties on the 2V for $100-$150 and make all of it back.

Mustang cobra headers and mid pipe bassani

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 04-09-2016, 05:46 PM   #458
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I don't like it when people don't put their phone number in CL ads. It has to be something that I REALLY want, for me to even reply.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2016, 07:03 PM   #459
Staff
Regular
Staff

He put it on there, but not responding to txts or calls or emails. Probably sold them. Which is fine I guess... I have FRPP shorties and will not be needing headers to make power to the point of grenading my trans so...

Old 04-09-2016, 09:28 PM   #460
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
He put it on there, but not responding to txts or calls or emails. Probably sold them. Which is fine I guess... I have FRPP shorties and will not be needing headers to make power to the point of grenading my trans so...
I guess that I would have known that if the link had worked for me.

Well how about this: I don't like it when people place CL ads, and then are not courteous enough to remove the ad when their item is no longer available. Or ignore potential buyers responding to their ad.

I suppose that you have been kicking around the idea of an automatic transmission swap at some point.
What are your thoughts about that?
Old 04-09-2016, 09:44 PM   #461
Staff
Regular
Staff

Car is going to stay stick unless I find myself at the track a ton or my left knee starts to not cooperate again. Good news is on a 99-04 an auto swap is stupid easy since the HARD harness is PnP throughout those years both auto and stick.

Main priority now needs to be getting it up and running lol. This weeknd was a big event for my wife and then my daughter's B-day party tomorrow so nothing got done. This week and weekend coming up tho I want to tear down both motors and get the spare 2V sold, have a potential buyer lined up a few hours away who wants it.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:28 PM   #462
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Yes I have a line on the brackets to make the Novi 2000 work on a 4V. B heads are champs when you stuff a ton of boost down their throats and the Novi 2000 moves more air than a T trim does. Going to be way more power capable than the stock 2V heads and won't run out of air at 5800 either.

So I'm going to tear these motors down just to confirm everything is in rebuildable shape and then go for it. Need to call my head guy on Monday to see what a valvejob and checkout/cleanup runs on B heads. Probably going to need new springs too.

If I was done with my motor I'd say ship me them heads and I'd do em for ya

04 GT: CAI, 3.73's, Longtubes, Full exhaust, Comp Cams 270's, Short throw, Pullies, Ported/Polished heads, Manley dished/notched pistons, MMR forged H beam rods, FRPP forged crank, BBK 75mm throttle body, MSD coils, 60lb EV6 injectors, Eddy Vic Jr intake, UPR coilovers in front, Steeda lowering springs in rear, Front strut bar, MM caster camber plates, UPR k member, 355lph walbro pump, MMR 8qt oil pan, ARP hardware, EGR delete, A/C delete, ABS delete, EVAP delete.

Honda weight with an American V8
keeney35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:34 PM   #463
Registered Member
Regular

Scotty check your messages

04 GT: CAI, 3.73's, Longtubes, Full exhaust, Comp Cams 270's, Short throw, Pullies, Ported/Polished heads, Manley dished/notched pistons, MMR forged H beam rods, FRPP forged crank, BBK 75mm throttle body, MSD coils, 60lb EV6 injectors, Eddy Vic Jr intake, UPR coilovers in front, Steeda lowering springs in rear, Front strut bar, MM caster camber plates, UPR k member, 355lph walbro pump, MMR 8qt oil pan, ARP hardware, EGR delete, A/C delete, ABS delete, EVAP delete.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:40 PM   #464
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
This popped up locally.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1460331603617.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	199566  
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:12 PM   #465
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah I've already moved on from them. I have FRPP shorties in real good shape. Honestly I might just blast them and then paint them myself they are in such good shape. Also will see about getting them ceramic coated locally.

In other news, already buying expensive *** 4V tools lol. The OTC tool for 2V and 4V exhaust only is $90 but the intake valve tool from OTC is like $225 effing dollars... Good thing Freedom Racing makes one like $150 that does both and is designed like the OTC for compressing the valve down during the degree process...

Also have my 2V motor sold for $650 locally. Guy wants to meet on Thursday or Friday night. Really debating selling him the Mark VIII motor too, he wants it and I really don't need 2 Teksids. There are a ****ton of 3V blocks out there which are actually even better than the Teksid is. That would bring back almost $1k for both and recoup every cent I've spent on 4V stuff so far.

Going to get the heads checked/cleaned and a 5 angle valve job too as soon as I get them in and pull the cams off and disassemble them. Then need to get one of the blocks out to my local shop to get him to make sure he is good on cleaning/checking/boring it and we should be cooking with Crisco...

Old 04-10-2016, 08:42 PM   #466
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Sounds like your moving along. Im very impressed with your wheeling and dealing. You have a definite knack to make things really cost effective for you and get what you want. It helps that you have the knowledge to spot a deal you can make money on too.

Sounds like you may get this thing together in almost the same time frame you thought before.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:08 PM   #467
Staff
Regular
Staff

I dunno we will see. I can do a speedy get together and not get all the "little" things done but not sure I want to do that.

I do know once I get it running I will want do do a TON of cosmetic stuff to the car. I may go as far as finding a 94-97 parts car with a real good interior and going full black. Did it for my 98 in an afternoon and I honestly hate the 99-04 charcoal color compared to the 94-98 black. But that's well in the future.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:06 PM   #468
Registered Member
Regular

I bet those heads are gonna look really nice when they are cleaned up😏

Wish I had the knack you do for finding good deals tho, I'm too impatient and like to have stuff in my hands quick so I have a hard time waiting around for good deals

Old 04-10-2016, 11:11 PM   #469
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I dunno we will see. I can do a speedy get together and not get all the "little" things done but not sure I want to do that.

I do know once I get it running I will want do do a TON of cosmetic stuff to the car. I may go as far as finding a 94-97 parts car with a real good interior and going full black. Did it for my 98 in an afternoon and I honestly hate the 99-04 charcoal color compared to the 94-98 black. But that's well in the future.
The interior on your 98 was really really nice. Looked like new quality from the pics. I need to find at least one black leather seat for my 96, years ago my sons spray sunscreen exploded on the seat. It didnt explode but the sprayer became faulty and it leaked a pool into the middle rib/crevice and discolored it. Was only on there for maybe 5-10 min at the most while we were in the store. It wasnt real hot either. I didnt realize it was in the bag of course. If I redid the seat instead of a nice used one I would do both fronts then, the back seat is perfect.

Now that I have the 03 I can see what you mean about the charcoal, I dont love it either. The seats are in really good shape on that one, but maybe one day Ill do it. A guy on CL has a 03 Mach 1 interior for sale in black, front seats and back seats for $800. Ad says its in mint condition, came out of the car for some sort of race seats at 60k miles. Its tempting. Could offer $600 and throw it in one of them, probably the 03.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:42 AM   #470
Staff
Regular
Staff

The nice thing is I could probably sell my entire charcoal interior for pretty good $$$ as its in good shape and the seats are damn near new. Dash is not hard to swap like ppl think, carpet is easy enough to install, I need a new headliner anyway so right there is black carpet and black headliner.

The rest of it is just panels, most rear seats are still mint even from 20 years ago and then re-covering the stock frames with a Mach or Cobra leather set from TMI is a weekend. Probably going to go that route for the seats just getting some junk V6 frames to put new foam and leather onto.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:47 AM   #471
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeney35 View Post
I bet those heads are gonna look really nice when they are cleaned up

Wish I had the knack you do for finding good deals tho, I'm too impatient and like to have stuff in my hands quick so I have a hard time waiting around for good deals

Agreed, fresh heads are always nice. Had to order a $150 valve spring compressor/lash adjuster installer tool tho lol. Will be here Wednesday and I can pop the heads apart and pack them back up.
And deals... just check CL every day or every other day and keep an eye on the big forums' classifieds. Also one reason I am getting this so cheap is because I am going with the B heads.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:32 AM   #472
Staff
Regular
Staff

Other thing I'm not sure of is it I want to keep the other mark viii motor or not. I don't need 2 blocks and need no parts off it... Yeah it's a teksid but I can find mark motors easy enough and no shortage of aluminum blocks from the 05-up cars. The guy buying my 2v wants the Mark too.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 04-11-2016, 05:09 PM   #473
Staff
Regular
Staff

These heads that just came in are in spectacular shape. Also, legit cobra intake cams vs the Mark cams that came in the motors I got before.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1460416095939.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	199613   Click image for larger version

Name:	1460416107213.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	199614  

Old 04-11-2016, 08:12 PM   #474
Registered Member
Regular

Sure are purrty.
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:53 PM   #475
Staff
Regular
Staff

Special valve spring tool for 4v and 2v. And 4.0l... This is the tool MMR jacks the prices up on. Same tool, buy this one instead.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1460598777484.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	199700  

Old 04-13-2016, 09:34 PM   #476
Staff
Regular
Staff

Also talked to the best machine shop around. Line hone, decking, ultrasonic cleaning/dye check, boring with torque plate and deburring all the sharp edges on the block is $600 or so.

I really need to get that 2v sold...

Old 04-13-2016, 09:40 PM   #477
Registered Member
Regular

That sounds about right.

It will be interesting to see how they do with the line honing. I understand that it can be difficult to do with an aluminum block and steel main caps...
Old 04-13-2016, 09:53 PM   #478
Staff
Regular
Staff

This shop has over a million dollars of machinery and he assured me it's no problem. Guy at work had a 500hp 408w notch they did and he raves about how good they are. Here's hoping.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:34 AM   #479
Registered Member
Regular

Should be fine. It sounds like they are confident about their skills and machinery.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:13 PM   #480
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah and I'm going to take them both blocks too so he can pick the one he wants to work with. He also says I should just bring my heads in and he'll leak check the valves for free if I get the block done. Says 70k miles on 4v heads is nothing and hed be amazed if they needed anything but good springs and a cleaning.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:30 PM   #481
Staff
Regular
Staff

Got the first motor busted down tonight. Cores for the heads look good, guy left the plugs out of both motors so there is rust stains all over the cylinders but that's not an issue with them getting bored anyway. Dunno why the hell ppl remove spark plugs ever unless the heads are off. I never took them out of my 2V...

Going to get the complete Mark pullout apart tomorrow hopefully. Going to be using the crank out of that one most likely.

Looks like I am road tripping it down to MD on Monday to sell my 2V for $650. Turn right around the drop my Teksid off at the shop... Or that guy with the WAP block keeps asking if I want it... Still waiting to hear back from the original owner as to whether it was line honed and torque plate bored or not but he was going for a big power build and did finish it later on with another setup and has a good rep on SVTP.

$350 for the WAP, do the leak check myself and if it checks good then I can clean everything myself and save a real good chunk of $$$ plus sell one or both Teksids to fund most everything else. Not worried about finding another aluminum block, Mark motors are a dime a dozen here and the 3V blocks are better than even the Teksids anyway and those are showing up more and more now.

Old 04-17-2016, 02:38 PM   #482
Staff
Regular
Staff

Got the 2v loaded for its new owner tomorrow. Got one teksid bare and broken down. Mark motor is on the stand and is next. Yes it's all very ghetto... The joys of living in base housing.

What is exciting is being able to pick up a whole block by yourself without too much effort. Teksid is 85lbs.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1460925346734.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	199942   Click image for larger version

Name:	1460925364987.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	199943  

Name:	1460925377674.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	199944  

Old 04-17-2016, 10:28 PM   #483
Registered Member
Regular

Not ghetto. Just doin what you gotta do.

I hope to hell that you are going to strap that engine down as best you can before delivering it to the new owner.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:38 PM   #484
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Not ghetto. Just doin what you gotta do.

I hope to hell that you are going to strap that engine down as best you can before delivering it to the new owner.
I was thinking the same thing. Probably wont move, but you dont want to take a 4.6 to the back of the head!!

Old 04-18-2016, 06:00 AM   #485
Staff
Regular
Staff

It won't move under normal driving but yes if I was in a wreck I'd be ****ed. I actually brought both 4Vs back just on pallets but it was early in the morning and all back roads and I was real careful. Highway is a little different. I have some aircraft cargo straps I'm going to use. Just going to call and confirm 100% before I do a final strap down so I don't waste my time if the guy flakes.

That Mark motor is going to be fun to tear down tho... no idea how long it was sitting, no spark plugs in the holes to keep crud/water out... people are idiots. But the blocks will clean up just fine and not too concerned about the B head cores as they are a dime a dozen.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:38 PM   #486
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Time to break out the ol pressure washer. If I lived closer I'd take that teskid off your hands for a nice price.

2003 GT: JLT CAI, summit 75mm TB, C&L plenum, 24# injectors, Mac Prochamber, SLP LM1 cat back, 3.73 Gears, FR500 Diff, FR500 diff cover, Jmod trans and shift kit, Max Motorsports subframes, Koni oranges front and rear, DBA discs front and rear, shrader performance rear seat delete, APSX D2 wideband, MPT happy customer.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:53 PM   #487
Staff
Regular
Staff

Hokai so...

Sold the 2V today, $25 more than I paid for it delivered lol. And the guy was literally 10 minutes from my house and had a cherry picker waiting. The guy in MD got called into work Monday and cancelled and then a local guy contacted me right after and gave me $600 for it. I was there for 5 minutes. Wish all transactions were that easy...

Also have my old T45 from the blue car sold for $200 to someone who just lost 4th gear on their DD and is up **** creek without a paddle and just needs to get back on the road. That is $800 towards the build.

I've also got a metric ****ton of stuff on CL that will hopefully bring another $1k - $1500 in the next month or so if I can get most of it sold.

That WAP block... got ahold of the original owner. Completely ready to go as is for $350... Strongly considering it vs $600-$800 for all the work on one of these Teksids.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:12 AM   #488
Registered Member
Regular

Scotty's Pony Parts
Buy-Sell-Trade
Old 04-22-2016, 12:25 PM   #489
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Looking good just keep plugging along.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:36 AM   #490
Staff
Regular
Staff

Plugging I am. Of course its raining today so I can't pull the second motor out and do anything but I managed to clean up one of my cranks and sell it and my NIB 6 bolt flywheel for $225. Have another 6 bolt to sell when the other motor is apart and then the 8 bolt when I get my motor out (finally).

I had someone on SVTP who parts out Mustangs on the lookout for an undamaged Cobra crank and just got a PM from him saying he has one for tree-fiddy shipped. I know I said I was going cast but... while its apart I might as well just do the forged crank as I know B heads can make power well above 7K with a Novi. I'd like to be shifting at 7200-7400 honestly and I know the cast crank can probably take it but in the back of my mind I'd be always worried about it letting go. The OEM cranks are actually Kellog cranks and basically indestructible.

Also going to be selling my old T45 for $200 on Wednesday so that is nearly $1k sold so far. Crank and block will be $650-$700 and then I'll probably get MMR I beams with ARP bolts for $300 and work on selling more stuff to get a set of Manley Street fighters. This setup will be fully forged and good for about 800rwhp which is right about where the limit of the WAP reportedly is. Also that number is well out of the realm of power I am aiming for.

Getting that WAP also means I can sell both Teksids for good money. There are always Mark motors around to pull another block from or the aluminator 3V block which is even stronger than a Teksid.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT