2000 Steeda Mustang GT #48 build thread - Page 15 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-23-2016, 11:03 AM   #491
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Wish I had that much luck selling stuff I've got a **** ton of parts I need to get rid of

04 GT: CAI, 3.73's, Longtubes, Full exhaust, Comp Cams 270's, Short throw, Pullies, Ported/Polished heads, Manley dished/notched pistons, MMR forged H beam rods, FRPP forged crank, BBK 75mm throttle body, MSD coils, 60lb EV6 injectors, Eddy Vic Jr intake, UPR coilovers in front, Steeda lowering springs in rear, Front strut bar, MM caster camber plates, UPR k member, 355lph walbro pump, MMR 8qt oil pan, ARP hardware, EGR delete, A/C delete, ABS delete, EVAP delete.

Honda weight with an American V8
keeney35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2016, 02:00 PM   #492
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I just wish I had the luck he has finding these parts. On a side note I may have found a job with a ford muscle car guy that builds drag cars. I'm going to meet with him on Monday and see how that goes. Wish me luck on that. Still trying to find an aviation mech job though.

2003 GT: JLT CAI, summit 75mm TB, C&L plenum, 24# injectors, Mac Prochamber, SLP LM1 cat back, 3.73 Gears, FR500 Diff, FR500 diff cover, Jmod trans and shift kit, Max Motorsports subframes, Koni oranges front and rear, DBA discs front and rear, shrader performance rear seat delete, APSX D2 wideband, MPT happy customer.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 02:11 PM   #493
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Lol the guy I sold the 2v to works for a speed shop and he does work on the side. Said if/when I need a build just bring a good core and 26 spline shaft and he will rebuild cheap.

Tbth I have this luck because I live in the most densley populated area in the country.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda build #48. Bolt ons, suspension, Novi 2000.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2016, 03:14 PM   #494
Staff
Regular
Staff

Getting WAP tomorrow bored .020 over and ready to go for $325.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:18 PM   #495
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
That's not a bad price for the WAP block.

2003 GT: JLT CAI, summit 75mm TB, C&L plenum, 24# injectors, Mac Prochamber, SLP LM1 cat back, 3.73 Gears, FR500 Diff, FR500 diff cover, Jmod trans and shift kit, Max Motorsports subframes, Koni oranges front and rear, DBA discs front and rear, shrader performance rear seat delete, APSX D2 wideband, MPT happy customer.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:20 PM   #496
Staff
Regular
Staff

Machine work alone for a Teksid is $600-$700. And then I lose $300 from selling the block as is. The WAP gets a bad rap. Ppl get all hung up on the Teksid or Aluminator. I have yet to see a WAP fail and it's the lightest of them all. And this saves me a metric assload of money and time.

Old 04-24-2016, 01:30 PM   #497
Staff
Regular
Staff

Woot, WAP was as described. Will hit with a quick self hone prior to assembly just to get any residual surface crud off. Put it next to one of the Teksids to illustrate the difference between the 2.

WAP definitely has less material but is SUBSTANTIALLY lighter. Like... Move the WAP and then move the Teksid and its really noticeable. The pistons and rods I'm using are good for about 800 so the WAP is perfect for this build. Not that I will ever hit that...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1461525756016.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	200209   Click image for larger version

Name:	1461525775187.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	200210  

Name:	1461525798146.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	200211   Click image for larger version

Name:	1461525813855.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	200212  

Old 04-24-2016, 01:50 PM   #498
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
You'll hit it.

Yeah, that's a good deal! Will save you some time and money.
This is a good example of being able to build a modular for not a lot of money.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 02:27 PM   #499
Staff
Regular
Staff

I hope so... Next up is a leak check on those heads. Looks to be nothing wrong with them. Only 70k miles. Then boss rods then I'm back to kicking around a cast crank since its free. Need to find some pistons that are not super expensive or 8.5:1 compression. Want the car to have some balls off boost...

Old 04-24-2016, 02:50 PM   #500
Registered Member
Regular

Figuring out the pistons, for the desired CR, is the most difficult part of building an engine, in my opinion. There are a lot of different manufacturers, and different specifications to sort through. It's likely that you will be able to find "off the shelf" pistons to suit your needs, but it sometimes takes a bit of research to find them.
I used to think that the CR should be kept at 9 or less for supercharged applications. I recently read an article that sort of changed my mind about that.

What CR are you thinking of shooting for?
Old 04-24-2016, 02:54 PM   #501
Staff
Regular
Staff

Honestly I have been thinking at least 10:1. The highest compression ots pistons for 4v are 10.5:1. We have 93 octane out here but no reliable e85 source tho. Id just get street masters if I still had a 2v. But those are 8.5:1 on the 4v.

Old 04-24-2016, 02:55 PM   #502
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Figuring out the pistons, for the desired CR, is the most difficult part of building an engine, in my opinion. There are a lot of different manufacturers, and different specifications to sort through. It's likely that you will be able to find "off the shelf" pistons to suit your needs, but it sometimes takes a bit of research to find them.

I used to think that the CR should be kept at 9 or less for supercharged applications. I recently read an article that sort of changed my mind about that.

What CR are you thinking of shooting for?

Pistons the hardest part? How? Building a motor is simple

LSX 408 FTW
Dragging your a$$
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 03:12 PM   #503
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Pistons the hardest part? How? Building a motor is simple

LSX 408 FTW
Dragging your a$$
Because when you start looking into all of the specifications of different piston manufacturers, there are a lot of different compression heights and piston volumes that you have to take into account to determine the compression ratio. If you are just rebuilding an engine, it's not really a big deal. But when you start having to factor in machine work done to the heads and the block, it becomes more difficult to find pistons that will get you close to your target CR. Of course, you can call a piston manufacturer, and they can make you anything that you want, but there are a lot of specs to go through to find "off the shelf" pistons on a budget.
For us "recreational" builders, anyways...
Old 04-24-2016, 03:22 PM   #504
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Because when you start looking into all of the specifications of different piston manufacturers, there are a lot of different compression heights and piston volumes that you have to take into account to determine the compression ratio. If you are just rebuilding an engine, it's not really a big deal. But when you start having to factor in machine work done to the heads and the block, it becomes more difficult to find pistons that will get you close to your target CR. Of course, you can call a piston manufacturer, and they can make you anything that you want, but there are a lot of specs to go through to find "off the shelf" pistons on a budget.

I struggled with this when I got mine, I wouldn't say it's hard though. Just time consuming
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 03:25 PM   #505
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well I figure an 8.5:1 centri B headed car with imrc delete is going to be a pig off boost which is why I'm looking to bump the compression.

Old 04-24-2016, 03:46 PM   #506
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Well I figure an 8.5:1 centri B headed car with imrc delete is going to be a pig off boost which is why I'm looking to bump the compression.

You are probably correct!
Yeah, give 10ish a try. I think that it will make good power.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:46 PM   #507
Staff
Regular
Staff

Also going to have to see if I need notches for the intake valves. Going to be advancing the intake cams 12 degrees which puts them at an actual straight up since Ford re tarded them 12 degrees from the factory. I know its close if they are straight flat tops. I mean the Coyotes are 11:1 and boosted on 93 octane pump gas just fine for ppl who put superchargers on them. Not sure why 10.5:1 would not be fine with today's tuning on a 4V with a centri.

Old 04-24-2016, 05:42 PM   #508
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It's not that difficult. It honestly isn't. You will be surprised what diamond and wiseco have in stock.

LSX 408 FTW
Dragging your a$$
Old 04-24-2016, 07:13 PM   #509
Staff
Regular
Staff

I know Gibtec could make me anything I wanted, just fill out a form and send $$$.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:16 PM   #510
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Also going to have to see if I need notches for the intake valves. Going to be advancing the intake cams 12 degrees which puts them at an actual straight up since Ford re tarded them 12 degrees from the factory. I know its close if they are straight flat tops. I mean the Coyotes are 11:1 and boosted on 93 octane pump gas just fine for ppl who put superchargers on them. Not sure why 10.5:1 would not be fine with today's tuning on a 4V with a centri.
I don't see why not either. Even the auto manufacturers have gone to 9.5:1 as the compression ratios of their forced induction engines. Engines that they warranty!
I think that 10.5 will be acceptable for pump gas, but maybe you should get the opinion of the person that will be tuning the car.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:25 PM   #511
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
It's not that difficult. It honestly isn't. You will be surprised what diamond and wiseco have in stock.

LSX 408 FTW
Dragging your a$$
It is a hell of a lot easier than it used to be in the days of catalogs!
And you're right, for the engines that the aftermarket have fully embraced, it isn't that difficult to find what you need... If you know where to look.
It can be more challenging for engines that were never fully supported by the aftermarket, and/or have been out of production for decades!
Old 04-25-2016, 05:46 PM   #512
Staff
Regular
Staff

It honestly isn't that difficult lol. Most likely going to use these guys.

Diamond 30013 - 4.6L 4V Street / Strip Flat Top Pistons - .020" Over Bore 3.572

Need to talk to a local tuner and see if 11:1 is too much for the older ECUs.

There is an E85 station about 20 minutes from me... but its a single point failure if they stop selling it or something and I'm not sure I like going 20 minutes to get gas from one station.

If not... well I will probably get flat tops and install everything and then measure how far my pistons are down in the hole and order the appropriate cometic HG. They make up to .075 which should lower any higher compression enough to be safe on 93. I hope.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:48 AM   #513
Registered Member
Regular

11:1 CR?!?
I'm wondering if the Coyotes are able to be supercharged due to the engine management, specifically, the Variable Valve Timing.
I think that since you have the luxury of building the engine however you want, the CR should be kept at a number that borders more along the lines of what is commonly acceptable for supercharging. It can be done either way (Lower compression, higher boost, or higher compression, lower boost) but I'm just afraid that if you get the CR too high, it will become a tuning nightmare for someone. And the longevity of the engine may suffer.
I also don't like the idea of using a thicker head gasket to lower the compression ratio. Depending on the thickness, they can change the dimensions of the engine enough to make bolting on things, like the intake manifold, a challenge.

I really think that you should do some more research before committing to that compression ratio. Especially, if this car is going to be mainly driven on the street.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:55 AM   #514
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'm just thinking out loud and was playing around with some other cc numbers after that post last night. Diamond also makes a -2cc, -5.2cc and a -18cc piston. -5.2cc would put me right in the 9.5:1 ballpark.

I have time to hash it out and talk to a few tuners.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:34 AM   #515
Staff
Regular
Staff

So legit after 10 months I realized I could have upgraded my CX Racing intercooler kit for $100 to the 4" core intercooler which does not drop 4-5 psi like the 3" core does... just got off the phone with a rep and they are going to let me exchange my BNIB 3" core intercooler for the 4" core for $80 plus I pay shipping back. Big props to them for doing this. Its no Treadstone but from all the online reviews, going to the 4" core really uncorks the CX kit.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:11 PM   #516
Registered Member
Regular

That is very nice of them!
Old 04-28-2016, 10:54 PM   #517
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeney35 View Post
Wish I had that much luck selling stuff I've got a **** ton of parts I need to get rid of

04 GT: CAI, 3.73's, Longtubes, Full exhaust, Comp Cams 270's, Short throw, Pullies, Ported/Polished heads, Manley dished/notched pistons, MMR forged H beam rods, FRPP forged crank, BBK 75mm throttle body, MSD coils, 60lb EV6 injectors, Eddy Vic Jr intake, UPR coilovers in front, Steeda lowering springs in rear, Front strut bar, MM caster camber plates, UPR k member, 355lph walbro pump, MMR 8qt oil pan, ARP hardware, EGR delete, A/C delete, ABS delete, EVAP delete.

Honda weight with an American V8
I wish you were closer and had a good TR3650 trans. I could help you get rid of that. Mine is not doing so well.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:03 AM   #518
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
I wish you were closer and had a good TR3650 trans. I could help you get rid of that. Mine is not doing so well.

I think Scotty back when he put his 3650 on his 98 he paid less than $1100 or so for a fresh rebuilt one. You could probably find a good used one for less than $500 I would think. Ive never looked for one but I have for other cars over the years and there is usually plenty of options for used transmissions.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:59 AM   #519
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
I think Scotty back when he put his 3650 on his 98 he paid less than $1100 or so for a fresh rebuilt one. You could probably find a good used one for less than $500 I would think. Ive never looked for one but I have for other cars over the years and there is usually plenty of options for used transmissions.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I'm definitely going to look into that.

Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:38 PM   #520
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
That's awesome they did that for you. Glad there are still some companies out there that are willing to go a bit further to help out.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:59 PM   #521
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well my local tuner is saying all cx racing sucks but I've been talking to builders online that have run 1000whp through the cx racing 4" so I dunno. I even found a guy with a Novi B headed 4v with the 3" intercooler I have now and he says it works great. But he is also on a stock bottom end...

Also my local tuner is a dealer for Treadstone lol. I think I'm going to get the 4" core and see how it does. It it sucks I'll sell it and swap out.

Old 04-29-2016, 04:44 PM   #522
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Lookie what i found.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 3.42.49 PM.png
Views:	81
Size:	788.9 KB
ID:	200448  

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:53 PM   #523
Staff
Regular
Staff

Booiiinngg... Tbth... Nothing on any Cobra motor needs modded or ported unless you need like 800+. I'm looking for like 580hp and 500tq @7k which is very doable. I've talked to other B headed owners with blowers and they say the cars pull like freight trains in the upper RPM band and do not run out of steam

Old 05-01-2016, 08:23 PM   #524
Staff
Regular
Staff

So it rained off its *** today so not much got done. I have to pull the hoist and stored engine out to work on the car... blah...

In other news, found ANOTHER complete Cobra motor (real this time) with a rod knock for $350 cash locally. Rod knock might have messed up the crank but even so I could take the crank and get it turned. Teksid alone is $300, intake is $250, cams are $200 and then misc parts=more. Free forged crank. Hopefully going to get it tomorrow. And then have to tear apart a third motor... and this will be the last one lol.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:28 PM   #525
Registered Member
Regular

11.1 is completely fine anyone who says different obviously needs to go somewhere else. 11.1 is actually low with what can be done now days.

LSX 408 FTW
Dragging your a$$

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT