2000 Steeda Mustang GT #48 build thread - Page 16 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-01-2016, 09:00 PM   #526
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Which is why I'm now a little leery of the local tuner I talked to. James from Steeda said he could do 11:1 but would recommend 9.5:1 or 10:1 in case I get a tank of bad gas or something. I also can not get E85 except for one station around here...

Local guy said the static compression at 11:1 would be too high.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2016, 08:18 AM   #527
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Your local tuner is probably trying to err on the cautious side, being that you are likely going to use pump gas. There really isn't any question that it is easier to tune for lower compression/higher boost.
There are a lot of different opinions on the subject. And I think that a lot of people who go the higher compression/lower boost route, do so because they built a NA engine and decided to add boost afterwards.
I believe that there is a tuner in southern New Jersey that doesn't seem to have any problem with 11 or even 12:1 boosted engines. He's a Chevy guy though.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:19 AM   #528
Staff
Regular
Staff

So going to get that 96 Cobra motor tonight... I need to really stop accumulating parts and get to work but this was too good a deal to pass up. Fully dressed (legit this time) Cobra motor including intake for $350. Just the intake alone will make most of that back. Kinda mad I ordered those low mileage B heads with cams now but oh well. I can sell these cams and heads and make that back too. Those I know came off a low mileage car and are super clean.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2016, 08:22 AM   #529
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Your local tuner is probably trying to err on the cautious side, being that you are likely going to use pump gas. There really isn't any question that it is easier to tune for lower compression/higher boost.
There are a lot of different opinions on the subject. And I think that a lot of people who go the higher compression/lower boost route, do so because they built a NA engine and decided to add boost afterwards.
I believe that there is a tuner in southern New Jersey that doesn't seem to have any problem with 11 or even 12:1 boosted engines. He's a Chevy guy though.
Which tuner? Down here I know of Radical and Fonse Performance. The tuner locally I was talking to was Kevin at Wicked who has a stellar reputation.

But the lack of E85 out here sucks. Don't want to get stranded somewhere because I'm tuned for it and have to run pump gas...

Old 05-02-2016, 08:25 AM   #530
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
So going to get that 96 Cobra motor tonight... I need to really stop accumulating parts and get to work but this was too good a deal to pass up. Fully dressed (legit this time) Cobra motor including intake for $350. Just the intake alone will make most of that back. Kinda mad I ordered those low mileage B heads with cams now but oh well. I can sell these cams and heads and make that back too. Those I know came off a low mileage car and are super clean.
The guy that I bought my Teksid and crank from, buys them and parts them out as a side business.
Hell, if you can find good deals on them, and can find buyers, keep doing it!
Old 05-02-2016, 08:31 AM   #531
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Which tuner? Down here I know of Radical and Fonse Performance. The tuner locally I was talking to was Kevin at Wicked who has a stellar reputation.

But the lack of E85 out here sucks. Don't want to get stranded somewhere because I'm tuned for it and have to run pump gas...
I can't remember.
It was a several year old thread, if I recall.
The name started with a "M" I believe... Mease maybe???
I'll see if I can find it tonight...
Old 05-02-2016, 08:46 AM   #532
Staff
Regular
Staff

There is Medford Speed shop but that guy I don't think tunes, he just does machine work...

Old 05-02-2016, 09:03 AM   #533
Registered Member
Regular

Found it!
Mease Performance Engineering.
It's a 10 year old thread.
http://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-mo...mpression.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 05-02-2016, 10:46 AM   #534
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah I have not heard of those guys. Says in that thread that they are a fan of meth injection too which I am not exactly fond of... don't like to have to worry about filling something like that.

I've had two tuners that I know do good work tell me to go 9.5:1 now so I'll probably stick with that route.

Also sad that a 2006 thread is 10 years old now... wth...

Old 05-02-2016, 09:31 PM   #535
Staff
Regular
Staff

So, I have a present to crack open this week. That motor I got... fully dressed real Cobra motor from a 96. 8 bolt crank of course. Also came with very good looking intake, nicer than my other one... F6 Cobra cams, 24lb EV6 purple injectors, all the front accessory brackets/tensioners/pullies etc... newly remanufactured alternator, stock TB, coolant crossover, lots of hoses and misc stuff too.

Here is the kicker, the owner claimed that when their mechanic opened the motor up to check out what was wrong with it there were aftermarket pistons and rods in there...

Paid $350 plus gas and tolls. Just the intake, injectors, cams and misc stuff off of it will double that. That's not counting the Teksid or the crank.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:40 PM   #536
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
You really luck out Scotty. I can't even find a good PI motor out here that people aren't asking 900+ for.

2003 GT: JLT CAI, summit 75mm TB, C&L plenum, 24# injectors, Mac Prochamber, SLP LM1 cat back, 3.73 Gears, FR500 Diff, FR500 diff cover, Jmod trans and shift kit, Max Motorsports subframes, Koni oranges front and rear, DBA discs front and rear, shrader performance rear seat delete, APSX D2 wideband, MPT happy customer.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:55 PM   #537
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lol I paid $575 delivered for my 39k mile PI motor. Sold it last week for $600 cash, buyer installed it right away and texted me a few days later that it ran perfectly.

Benefit of being in the Northeast is that parts are every ****ing where.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:55 PM   #538
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater2111 View Post
You really luck out Scotty. I can't even find a good PI motor out here that people aren't asking 900+ for.

2003 GT: JLT CAI, summit 75mm TB, C&L plenum, 24# injectors, Mac Prochamber, SLP LM1 cat back, 3.73 Gears, FR500 Diff, FR500 diff cover, Jmod trans and shift kit, Max Motorsports subframes, Koni oranges front and rear, DBA discs front and rear, shrader performance rear seat delete, APSX D2 wideband, MPT happy customer.
Here too, no good deals like that

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:13 PM   #539
Staff
Regular
Staff

My prize! This thing is like... Complete complete. Even a working imrc box which should sell asap.

Dunno what they hell they were doing to the crank bolt holes tho. Like 3 or 4 of them have the first few threads of engagement worn but flywheel bolt still grabs fine. Going to hit that with a tap to clean it up.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1462306247626.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	200542   Click image for larger version

Name:	1462306273620.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	200543  

Old 05-03-2016, 05:40 PM   #540
Registered Member
Regular

Hmmm.
I wonder if the "rod knock" was actually the flywheel bolts becoming loose and falling out?
Old 05-03-2016, 05:43 PM   #541
Staff
Regular
Staff

Nah they said they had it opened up. The threads actually aren't goobered more than 1 or 2 at most. Some asshat with a impact gun probably. The bolts I have in my scrounge start to grab immediately so crisis averted lol.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:32 PM   #542
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well... had people banging down my door for that first Cobra intake... already sold... Also found a local yard with a set of low mileage Continental (C) heads for $100 for both including cams. Which are the same as 99 Cobra cams... Already have a guy who wants to pay $300 for my other Cobra intake.

Hell I might start grabbing up the C heads around here and flipping them, there are some other places with cheap ones too. I've already made damn near everything I have paid for ALL these parts I have been accumulating back. From here on out its just funds to pay for the rest of the new parts I need.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:47 PM   #543
Registered Member
Regular

I'd like to submit my order for a good set of Manley rods, when you come across them.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:48 PM   #544
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
I'd like to submit my order for a good set of Manley rods, when you come across them.
Apparently that Cobra motor I just got for $350 has aftermarket rods in it. I'm excited to crack it open and see if the owner was BSing me or not.

Also have a real clean Mach intake lined up as soon as I sell my other Cobra intake. Now I just have to figure out what to do with all these B heads I basically got for free... I can probably sell the F6ZE Cobra castings...

Also never thought I would have the problem of having too many Teksid blocks taking up space...

Old 05-04-2016, 10:13 PM   #545
Registered Member
Regular

Laid on end, the Teksid blocks make a nice end table, out in the garage... I have an aluminum flywheel laying on mine that makes a good flat surface to set stuff on!

-Sigh-
One of these days I'll find the time to put that engine together.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:56 AM   #546
Staff
Regular
Staff

My $100 99/01 Cobra heads with cams, COP valve covers and COP covers. If there are COPs under there... I'll poop.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1462557324349.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	200661  

Old 05-06-2016, 03:20 PM   #547
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Damn Scotty, I wish I could find deals like that here. Usually people try selling stuff here for more than the cost to buy new/rebuilt parts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 05-06-2016, 03:51 PM   #548
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well those heads are real rough but I have an ultrasonic cleaner at work so I'll disassemble them and toss all the stuff in there.

Old 05-07-2016, 05:44 PM   #549
Staff
Regular
Staff

Might part these heads I just got and make $50 or something. Waiting to hear back from a local yard that has a 99 Continental whole motor and how much they want for it. Only 42k miles. Have a guy who wants the pistons and rods out of it already.

Also sold a Teksid and that whole Mark motor I got for free for $700 today. Time to crack open that other Cobra motor I have and see what's in there.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:32 PM   #550
Staff
Regular
Staff

Picking up the 42k Continental motor for $200 on Friday. I pulled apart the heads I paid $100 for locally and they contained:

-4V Cops
-99 Cobra Cams
-C heads themselves
-COP Valve Covers
-COP covers

There is $350-$400 in there. The 42k mile heads will likely be the heads I use unless I can score an 05 Aviator with low miles which I'm actively looking for. Already have the rods and pistons sold from the Conti motor I'm getting. Picking up a mint Mach intake, going to pull apart this 96 Cobra motor tomorrow or Thursday and list all those parts for sale too. Hoping to fund the Diamond pistons and Boss rods with the sale of these heads and the 96 Cobra part out. I do have a buyer for the Cobra crank but... I want to use it... but... I probably don't need it and the cast crank is actually better for a sub 750hp motor.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:44 PM   #551
Registered Member
Regular

Still wheeling and dealing. You may as well keep going and make your build pay for itself, or at least the engine anyway. This is crazy, man, unbelievable. It PAYs to know your stuff I guess. Makes me want to search for this stuff and start trying to sell it off also! But I dont know what Im doing. I guess I could be a copycat and take all the info from your thread here, ha. Ill be hitting Craigslist now tonight. I did get an account on the Corral, Im learning and getting used to navigating that site, there is so much on there. I assume this and CL is where you sell most of your stufts.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:04 PM   #552
Staff
Regular
Staff

CL for the big stuff because I don't want to ship it... Actually SVTP for 4V stuff way more than the Corral.

Kinda pissed I bought 4V COPs last month tho... I'll have 2 free sets by Friday lol. Oh well I'll sell one off. The ones I just pulled tonight are green Motorcrafts ftw! Pulling those COP covers off and seeing 4 mint coils in each head was like finding hidden treasure.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:10 PM   #553
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
CL for the big stuff because I don't want to ship it... Actually SVTP for 4V stuff way more than the Corral.

Kinda pissed I bought 4V COPs last month tho... I'll have 2 free sets by Friday lol. Oh well I'll sell one off. The ones I just pulled tonight are green Motorcrafts ftw! Pulling those COP covers off and seeing 4 mint coils in each head was like finding hidden treasure.
I bet it was. I think I will seriously give it a try. If I find anything locally lll PM you if you dont mind, to see if its a good deal and potentially what could be sold off of it. Im sure I can research the stuff and find prices and need also too, just lazy.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:34 PM   #554
Staff
Regular
Staff

Mark VIII engines and 99-02 Continentals. Marks have the Teksid blocks and 99-02 Contis have the C heads. 99 Contis are the most desirable because they shared the 202 duration cams with the 99 Cobra. Also real cheap 01-up Vics/Marquis/Towncars to make PI swap packages for ppl and then part the crank and block.

I get $100 for a cast crank, $100 for an iron block, $350 for a Teksid, $350 for a forged crank, $80 for COPs, $75 for COP valve covers, $100-$250 for 99/01 C heads depending on the condition and there is all the other misc stuff. Good number of ppl out there want 4V rods and pistons because running them in a 2V boosts the compression considerably and its cheap.

Yes I am trying to make this pay for my build and then go from there keeping it up on the side.

Next up is buying my Boss's 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 180k on it for $500. Needs front wheel bearings, front brakes and has a small coolant leak from the water pump or intake manifold. Fix that up for under $1k including the $500 purchase price and sell it for $2500. Or keep it because the wife loves Jeeps. That particular motor/trans is pretty much bulletproof which is odd for a Chrysler product.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:44 PM   #555
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Mark VIII engines and 99-02 Continentals. Marks have the Teksid blocks and 99-02 Contis have the C heads. 99 Contis are the most desirable because they shared the 202 duration cams with the 99 Cobra. Also real cheap 01-up Vics/Marquis/Towncars to make PI swap packages for ppl and then part the crank and block.

I get $100 for a cast crank, $100 for an iron block, $350 for a Teksid, $350 for a forged crank, $80 for COPs, $75 for COP valve covers, $100-$250 for 99/01 C heads depending on the condition and there is all the other misc stuff. Good number of ppl out there want 4V rods and pistons because running them in a 2V boosts the compression considerably and its cheap.

Yes I am trying to make this pay for my build and then go from there keeping it up on the side.

Next up is buying my Boss's 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 180k on it for $500. Needs front wheel bearings, front brakes and has a small coolant leak from the water pump or intake manifold. Fix that up for under $1k including the $500 purchase price and sell it for $2500. Or keep it because the wife loves Jeeps. That particular motor/trans is pretty much bulletproof which is odd for a Chrysler product.
Thanks for the info or cliff notes version it will help me.

Those Jeeps run forever, Ive had a couple friends with them and they cant be killed drive train wise anyway. That will be a great investment and you will sell it fast

Old 05-11-2016, 10:21 PM   #556
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Yeah I have not heard of those guys. Says in that thread that they are a fan of meth injection too which I am not exactly fond of... don't like to have to worry about filling something like that.

I've had two tuners that I know do good work tell me to go 9.5:1 now so I'll probably stick with that route.

Also sad that a 2006 thread is 10 years old now... wth...

11.0:1 and E85. You'll thank me later

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:27 PM   #557
Staff
Regular
Staff

Can only get e85 from one station about 25 min away.

In other news, gots free good C heads today. 42k mile runner from a Continental. $200. Have the internals sold already for $200 have to pull it all tomorrow. Not buying anything else till I sell off this stuff I have.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:28 PM   #558
Staff
Regular
Staff

Pic

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1463185702392.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	200927  

Old 05-13-2016, 08:13 PM   #559
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
That pallet in the back of your expo is gettin a workout with all these good deals your gettin..

It's amazing how your build is practically paying for itself with all the knowledge your putting forward to get all these parts/engines and flipping them. Props man, and I agree sell what you have and you'll have so much dough to throw at that thing it won't know what to do lol

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
torchdNblazen03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:00 PM   #560
Registered Member
Regular

Scotty might even make a little money on this build!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT