2000 Steeda Mustang GT #48 build thread - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-04-2015, 07:23 PM   #36
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
TJ came through in a big way! Apparently they had to email their lead engineer in Georgia to pull a paper copy out of a filing cabinet. And even having to do that I got the sheet like 2 hours after I requested it. Now THAT is service.

I blanked out the VIN myself on these sheets. It matches right up. Only thing the car does not have is the original floormats which Steeda still sells. Even the brakes and tires are original haha. So yeah tires are getting done literally as SOON as I get the engine in and verify everything is working ok. Brakes too...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda build #48. Bolt ons, suspension, Novi 2000.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2015, 07:28 PM   #37
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
TJ is the man. Love the guys at Steeda. Maybe you will win that 300.00 gift card and you can get the floor mats
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2015, 07:38 PM   #38
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
So do you know the power figures after the package was installed? I'm just asking to satisfy my curiosity. Which I think it's awesome the way they built it. It's a sleeper with very little appearance upgrades. And you're basically covered on suspension, and brakes. So now just powertrain mods. And knowing you I think an 01 cobra bumper will be on the list, am I right?

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2015, 07:40 PM   #39
Staff
Regular
Staff

If I win the gift card I'm getting a replacement hood strut kit first. Hell, I will probably buy that tonight honestly. There is a steeda strut kit on there now but its the old style and one strut is gone and the other is collapsed and the brackets aren't on properly.

I'm assuming the hood strut kit is as old as the rest of the car lol. New style looks way better anyway.

And yeah TJ is the man for sure. Makes me even more of a fan of the company. They make a great product, test their own stuff and I'm honestly wondering if there is a way to get the factory tune for this car on a SCT device. I need to PM him about that...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:46 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
You have to keep the tires on for at least one smoky burnout!
straybullitt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:48 PM   #41
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
If I win the gift card I'm getting a replacement hood strut kit first. Hell, I will probably buy that tonight honestly. There is a steeda strut kit on there now but its the old style and one strut is gone and the other is collapsed and the brackets aren't on properly.

I'm assuming the hood strut kit is as old as the rest of the car lol. New style looks way better anyway.

And yeah TJ is the man for sure. Makes me even more of a fan of the company. They make a great product, test their own stuff and I'm honestly wondering if there is a way to get the factory tune for this car on a SCT device. I need to PM him about that...
I bet you could get that stock tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:25 PM   #42
Staff
Regular
Staff

He already got back to me around 9:45 eastern time (do they let them leave the office?!). Haha. But no, it as custom tuned there in 2000, no way they still have the stock tune and they don't tune for blowers with the SCT stuff. I'd have to take the car to them in FL to get them to tune it blah.

Tuning by James will do a remote for $200, I just need to get a wideband in this thing and find a used unlocked SCT tuner. I do not need an X4 or anything, just something that can load the tunes I get.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:44 PM   #43
Registered Member

Regular

http://m.ebay.com/itm/271860020866?nav=SEARCH

Not bad. Also one has two days on it and is at 99 dollars
Old 05-04-2015, 09:00 PM   #44
Staff
Regular
Staff

Its at $195 or its the wrong link? I've found them for that on the Corral already. I'm trying to start gathering as much of this secondhand as I can. Only thing I will probably buy new is a catted X. I really don't think I need stainless as this car is not going to see salt.

Trying to do:

$100 wideband
$300 X pipe
$100 for a TFS plenum
$200 SCT tuner
$200-$400 for a remote tune
$500 for the motor

Paid $5500 for the car

Puts me right at $7k and I will need tires as soon as everything is verified working properly so $500 for a set of Sumis or something or I might find room in the budget for a better tire or something on clearance...

Might use the rest of the $$ for energy mounts and a new clutch/flywheel. Car does not need anything else. Hoping to make $500 or so back from the Snow kit and parting stuff off the blown 2V in the car. The snow kits new are $500.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:01 PM   #45
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Its at $195 or its the wrong link? I've found them for that on the Corral already. I'm trying to start gathering as much of this secondhand as I can. Only thing I will probably buy new is a catted X. I really don't think I need stainless as this car is not going to see salt.

Trying to do:

$100 wideband
$300 X pipe
$100 for a TFS plenum
$200 SCT tuner
$200-$400 for a remote tune
$500 for the motor

Paid $5500 for the car

Puts me right at $7k and I will need tires as soon as everything is verified working properly so $500 for a set of Sumis or something or I might find room in the budget for a better tire or something on clearance...

Might use the rest of the $$ for energy mounts and a new clutch/flywheel. Car does not need anything else. Hoping to make $500 or so back from the Snow kit and parting stuff off the blown 2V in the car. The snow kits new are $500.
That was one of the lower buy now ones I saw
Old 05-04-2015, 09:04 PM   #46
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lol if that was buy it now at $99 for an unmarried SCT3 I would already have hit the buy button.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:25 PM   #47
Lorraine's driver

Regular
Supporter

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
I went with all stainless on my most recent exhaust project.

In your case though, you may have a good point not to use stainless. If it never sees any weather, it's not really necessary. And if you do decide to go with a set of LT's in the future, the mid-pipe will need to be replaced anyway.
Lots of moisture on the inside if you don't go for long enough drives though.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:36 PM   #48
Lorraine's driver

Regular
Supporter

Region: Indiana
A lot more Steeda parts and upgrades on these than you can tell visually. Pretty damn cool. I'm kind of a purist with mustangs. Just an example, it took me 2.5 years to decide to lower mine lol. If it was me, I would probably try to get this back to the specs on that sheet exactly if possible. I didn't realize Nitto 555's have been around that long. 285's are some serious beef out front lol.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:39 PM   #49
Staff
Regular
Staff

Eh, this debate has been beat to death and I know all the sides of the argument. Just hard on the mega omfg budget I've set myself. I mean I literally do not have any more $$$ than the $8k for everything including the car right now... one reason I was saving for 2 years which lasted like 6 months lol. But this deal was just too good to pass up... I KNOW I can have a reliable 400whp car for sub $8k if I stick to it. And 34k miles and special edition and mint. I want to have it ready to go for the AM show this year for damn sure.

**** it, I'm just going to get the aluminized UPR catted X. If it starts to show crud I'll deal with that when it happens. Like I said the BBK pipe I had on my 98 was fine. Hell, even the aluminized MAC OR pipe I had on my 95 Cobra was still in good shape after 7 years and 25k miles. 2 of those years were as a DD even in the winter.

UPR has a forum discount too and its public BTW. Enter SHAZAM in the coupon code when you buy from them for 5% off. I know UPR=unauthorized product reproductions but in this case with the pipes, they actually have them made locally in Florida by VRS exhaust and buy bulk to cut costs down on their end.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:02 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
TJ from Steeda is a great guy. Glad he could get you the info you were looking for quickly.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:48 AM   #51
Staff
Regular
Staff

So, talked to James from Tuning By James today. He talked to me for a solid 15-20 min, let me know about the cars/kits from those eras, what he exactly needs to know, what he thinks I should do with this car as far as a solid reliable 425ish whp and go from there. Also quoted me a really good price, at least I think so.

What he stated:

-Get an intercooler. Just do it. Aftercooler, intercooler, something to cool down the air charge temps. Does not recommend exceeding 5-6lbs without one.
-Get part numbers off the MAF/injectors, find out exactly what Bypass valve is on there and get him all that info. I knew this but good to hear someone being thorough. I do have green tops btw.. 42lbs ftmfw!
-If I get a powerpipe, they are pieces of **** in stock form, he would walk me through modding it to place the bypass in a location that does not suck and **** up the MAF readings.
-Lot of other little stuff. Basically yes he can remote tune it.

Seemed very knowledgeable and did answer all my questions thoroughly and seemed to be happy that I was not someone trying to max out the stock motor. Told me that he could do a safe tune at 400-425 and "it'll make what it'll make" once he gets all the data from the datalogs. If its 390 its 390, if its 430 its 430 but we're on the same page that I don't want something running on the ragged edge and I will be shifting at 5800.

In other news... ordered a set of Steeda hood struts today so I can actually look at the damn motor without holding it up lol. The old struts were shot. They're part of the May sale on Steeda. I got something like $70 off combining the sale and a military discount from TJ. Also tried to order the UPR catted pipe. Key word there was try, they are backordered for at least 2 weeks, no biggie since I am having my knee scoped in a few days anyway and won't really be starting this swap out until June something. I did get in touch with VRS, the company that makes the UPR pipes and he said he could probably get one done in a few days. Also said he might have some 304 stainless leftover so if that's the case I may get the stainless pipe after all. I won't pay premium prices for 409 stainless TBTH.

So I'm going to try to find a real good deal on someone's aftercooler and if not I might just bite the bullet and get the CX racing intercooler and settle for Sumitumo tires vs Mickeys or new Nittos or something. Hopefully going to put a deposit down on that 38k Vic motor tomorrow. Its still in the car and they said I can hear/see it run and check the odometer on the car and everything.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:11 PM   #52
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
It sounds like you are off to a great start! I'm sure much like everyone else, I am reading along trying to take the journey with you. I love to see people get a great car and treat it to the love it deserves. I sometimes get the veruka salt or however you spell it (Willy Wonka) thoughts of "I want it now" lol.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:24 PM   #53
Staff
Regular
Staff

Thanks I appreciate it and yeah, I'm going to get the car right and take the time it takes to get it legit RIGHT.

Found my first "omgwtf" on the car tonight, knew it was only a matter of time. Just in the garage looking at a few things and I dunno why but the light caught the paint just right where the driver's sail panel meets the roof... and I see a little pock marking. Pull on it a little and yep... paint is peeling at that point. Looks like its going all the way up to the windshield and probably on the right side too so guess what I'm doing all next week?

Good news is, its almost impossible to see as it is now but I'm going to fix it asap vs letting any sort of rust damage happen to the roof of all places. I've had a similar problem before, paint loves to peel on these cars where these panels meet the paint. Vibration and time crack the paint and it starts to peel.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:55 PM   #54
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
Yeah, another hidden cost. Those could be costly tho lol. Hopefully that'll be all you run into.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:21 PM   #55
Staff
Regular
Staff

Nah, it looks worse than it is. I dunno how the hell I missed it. Probably because I was hauling *** to the bank before the dude changed his mind lol.

I will have to pull the sail and trim panels off, I know how to do it, its not the PITA ppl make it out to be.

For some reason photobucket is not working for me so I can't post the pic but basically where the trim panel meets the roof the paint is actually peeling and flaking slightly. Already ordered $100 worth of stuff from paintscratch that will totally fix it.

Worst case, if for some reason it happens again I will pull the panels again and vinyl wrap the whole roof black and then add the Steeda side stripes and get a Steeda functional wing painted black and install that. Hell, I might just do that anyway lol.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:24 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Awesome find man. Excited to be following along your build.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

2013 GT/CS
TCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:29 PM   #57
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
I like the new avatar by the way 👍🏻👍🏻
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:31 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Great pick up Scotty enjoy your new toy.

Sent from the Bathroom

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:54 PM   #59
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
I like the new avatar by the way 👍🏻👍🏻
Ya, hopefully nobody confuses me with TJ lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf stang View Post
Great pick up Scotty enjoy your new toy.

Sent from the Bathroom
I'm trying. Currently researching like a madman if a Vortech aftercooler for a 96-04 will fit on a Paxton Novi 2000 for my car. I keep hearing yes but I have yet to see someone with a pic of it actually done and a rundown of what they had to do. Got a line on one for $400 shipped OBO.

James@tuningbyjames confirmed what I've been told by others too, the aftercooler is great because it adds zero additional piping and makes the boost more responsive and the car easier to tune. Also its a Vortech piece vs a "made in China" CX racing unit. Also I can dump a ****load of ice into the tank on track days... Or put the tank in the trunk...

Old 05-05-2015, 09:20 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Silver paint always seems to have issues after a while.

I know that it isn't high on your "to do" list but here is a wing.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/5004115085.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
straybullitt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:07 PM   #61
Staff
Regular
Staff

Nah, gotta be local although if that was local I might grab it...

Yeah I'm kinda pissed I missed that silver paint flaking but its not rusting through and like I said, worst case=vinyl.

Still can't figure out if anyone is running the Vortech cooler with a Paxton... I mean it LOOKS like it'll work...

I found a full blown aftercooler with literally everything including an upgraded heat exchanged for $400 shipped... but its not for the Paxton obviously and its also for a 4V. I have confirmed that a simple coupler adapts the 4V kit to work on a 2V tho.

Or I'll just buy the CX racing air to air and never have to worry about a pump burning up or a water tank or anything but I will have to cut the car for the IC to TB pipe...

I need to go to bed...

edit: probably am going to go for that aftercooler, just debating if I should spring an extra $100 for the aluminum water tank or the stock vortech one... I mean I'm assuming that the plastic tank would not get as hot as the metal one so probably the plastic. And cheaper.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:00 PM   #62
Staff
Regular
Staff

Talked to the tuner again today and a few other ppl after I got off the phone with CX Racing. They'll sell me their entire "coldside" for $500 shipped. Ebay price and appx. 5% off.

This one

Cxracing Intercooler Kit 96 04 Ford Mustang 4 6L V8 supercharger Oil Cooler BOV | eBay

This is the kit practically everyone runs on their blowers. CX guaranteed it will fit my Paxton and I'm getting it with the correct 3" inlet coupler and black instead of blue silicone.

I almost bought that guy's aftercooler but I don't want to deal with water tanks and worrying about the pump going out or buying used for the same price as new. Also I would have to spend another $50 or so to make it fit and he would not budge from the $500 price point he wanted with the aluminum water tank. FMIC=plug and play and better for a driver anyway.

Trying to sell my 96-98 OEM Cobra rear bumper and the Snow Meth kit that came on the car as well as the mint condition 00 Charcoal center console to make back some money as I am on a strict budget like I said.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:26 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Talked to the tuner again today and a few other ppl after I got off the phone with CX Racing. They'll sell me their entire "coldside" for $500 shipped. Ebay price and appx. 5% off.

This one

Cxracing Intercooler Kit 96 04 Ford Mustang 4 6L V8 supercharger Oil Cooler BOV | eBay

This is the kit practically everyone runs on their blowers. CX guaranteed it will fit my Paxton and I'm getting it with the correct 3" inlet coupler and black instead of blue silicone.

I almost bought that guy's aftercooler but I don't want to deal with water tanks and worrying about the pump going out or buying used for the same price as new. Also I would have to spend another $50 or so to make it fit and he would not budge from the $500 price point he wanted with the aluminum water tank. FMIC=plug and play and better for a driver anyway.

Trying to sell my 96-98 OEM Cobra rear bumper and the Snow Meth kit that came on the car as well as the mint condition 00 Charcoal center console to make back some money as I am on a strict budget like I said.
He must like you better than me! Its like pulling teeth to get him to call back. I was emailing with him back and forth Maybe 2-3 times, then called when he said, didn't get a hold of him, then he called me while I was out of town for work and I missed it. Now It's like I missed my chance, lol, and all I want to do at this point is give him my money! Oh well, I'll give him another couple days, then I guess I'll order from Bama (cheaper anyway for what I need).

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:28 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

I realize he is very busy, this is because he is good of course That's Why I thought I would use him now and again with another mustang or when/if I make changes to the one I have.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:31 PM   #65
Staff
Regular
Staff

He seems terrible at getting back to emails but he picked right up when I talked to him and talked to me for 20 minutes. Today was a different tuner on one of the forums I belong to. I know James can tune for a FMIC anyway...

Old 05-06-2015, 08:36 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
He seems terrible at getting back to emails but he picked right up when I talked to him and talked to me for 20 minutes. Today was a different tuner on one of the forums I belong to. I know James can tune for a FMIC anyway...
Yeah. I'll try calling him a couple times tomorrow. Just have to give him my cc info and order it. Lol

Old 05-06-2015, 09:20 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

cant wait to see thing in action man, its going to be sick
bluegt96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:16 AM   #68
ME Bloodhound
Supporter
Staff

Subframe connectors!

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:46 AM   #69
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Subframe connectors!

Bullitts are better than Bullets
it has them. not full length tho. ill have to eventually cut these off and do full lengths.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:19 AM   #70
Staff
Regular
Staff

Ordered the same Exedy Mach 400 clutch i did on my 98 last year. Also found a shop that has the 11" oem nodular 6 bolt flywheels for $170 shipped. This setup is good for 510 ft lbs at the flywheel which is fine for putting in a stock motor. VRS (same as upr) catted X also on order and the intercooler should be here middle of next week. Cant wait for it all to start arriving.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT