Mustang Evolution Forum banner

2000 Steeda Mustang GT #48 build thread

121K views 1K replies 51 participants last post by  scottydsntknow 
#1 ·
Brought it home today finally. Anyone not following my other thread, I only paid $5500 for 34k original miles because it has a blown motor. Looking for replacement motors already and found a ton of real low mile Vic engines locally. Car is not perfect... Little nitpcky things that drive me bonkers that I will get on immediately.

Honestly... Not really much to do after I swap the motor out and cosmetic stuff. I'll list the build sheet when I get on a computer.

Pics!

Attachments

See less See more
#737 ·
There are several of you guys that I wish were all a lot closer. Can you imagine the car that could be built with the combined abilities of Scotty, Keeney, you, and many others on this forum.

We could engineer and design a Mustang that would make Saleen, Shelby, Steeda, and Roush cry. The right people, in the right place can accomplish amazing things.

We could Scotty's car built, and likely begin another with the parts he has left over.

#738 ·
I wouldn't put my knowledge on any higher of a level than most backyard mechanics as far as the car stuff. I am fully qualified on large aircraft so maybe my aptitude for some stuff is better but I dun wanna claim to be as inclined on cars or even close as someone like Rap who actually like... does builds and installs for ppl.

At any rate, I'm gonna try to get this thing running, screw it. I really don't have THAT MUCH and now that I got this Jeep fixed/running and about to get inspected, I can sell it to finish funding any other parts I need like the 4V cam/crank gears, On3 coolant crossover, a tune and misc parts.

#741 ·
Got the last bushings out of the control arms. They were actually way too easy from what horror stories about them I have heard... they came right out with the FTBR tools...

Shipping the kit back to FTBR tomorrow and will be picking up the Delrin set from him. There are already poly bushings in the subframe/diff and the sway bar is some aftermarket brand (no idea) with aftermarket heim joint endlinks. Rear will be going in as soon as the FTBR stuff arrives.

Attachments

#743 ·
Lol that was yesterday. Ribs, burgers, chicken etc... and a lot of good craft beer from the local brewery.

#744 ·
Whoops almost forgot the cross axis links. These are easy tho. Left side was ok... Right was shot. Already have the new ones.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Attachments

#746 ·
And now I might have to be moved out late September early october if I can't get my orders extended to December... FML I'm seriously considering picking up a bone stock 96 Cobra vert with 80k original miles for $5k, IRS swapping, swapping in updated trans, swapping all suspension and then selling everything else... Ugh... Short timeframe=bleh.

#749 · (Edited)
I'm going to keep working on it and assume I'll have to sell the roller in September and get something else (good time to buy Mustangs too) but you never know.

FTBR bushings are in the mail, once the rear is in I can pull the 2V out one weekend, spend the week dressing the 4V with all the correct accessories etc... and then drop it back in the next weekend. Then its just wiring and hoses and then the tune and worry about cosmetic bull**** later.

#751 · (Edited)
Lol YOU can, will take me a bit longer but I'm freaking out right now every time something changes with these orders. I think I'll be ok getting my leave date pushed out to mid december so that'll work... I'm REALLY going to try to see if I can get it pushed to like 2 January so I'm not going over there and then the whole base is closed for 2 weeks for Christmas and we are stuck in temporary lodging...

Also probably not going to be the greatest low end with 3.27s out back but it is what it is. I'll worry about that **** when I'm out there, there is an auto hobby shop on base with all the stuff to DIY that sort of thing and upgrade to 03/04 spec down the road.

#752 · (Edited)
Ok, got the bushings officially in the mail finally... Also realized I need the IRS ABS sensors but I'll get them whenever.

#754 ·
Well used anything is the only thing you can get for the New Edges lol... not sure what you mean? They aren't hard to find honestly, if you have $1k you can probably have one this week if you look around forums or CL etc...

Also depends on the one you want, most ppl want the 03/04 and will pay a premium to get it. I got mine straight up trade for my SRA because mine is a 99, which is the least desirable but is easy to upgrade to 03/04 spec and also is going to be more than fine for my power level.

They bolt right into any New Edge, all the provisions are in every 99-04 chassis. SN95s need a little modifying for the mounts but its not bad. I would never ever put one in without replacing all the factory rubber and doing the cross axis links while its out tho if they are all original. That is about a $1500 proposition with the FTBR stuff and doing it all yourself. Mine came with Prothane subframe/diff bushings and I just did the FTBR cross axis links and have the FTBR control arm bushings coming. Going to run with the stock 3.27 gears for now, when/if I swap out the gears I'll probably do the 03/04 diff and axles at that point.

#756 · (Edited)
I'll be bolting mine up next weekend if all goes well. Putting in the new cross axis links today and then when the control arm bushings come in I just need to drill/tap for the grease fittings and then they go right in.

If you do get an IRS... budget $1200-$1500 after the cost of the IRS for all the FTBR bushings, the cross axis links and a rear diff cover. And the FTBR bushing removal kit rental. I know there is a lot of debate back and forth on the rear axles with these cars but... unless you are a 1/4 mile car an IRS with the FTBR kit is hands down the best rear for these things.

#757 ·
The other thing I keep running into is I just have a LOT of **** to take care of before leaving. Going to start having to deal with all the crazy stuff with the movers, medical, getting the pets that are coming ready to ship, wife and kid's medical all in order, getting rid of stuff in the house, getting the house we own and rent all set up with a property manager etc... etc... plus then I have the 6 week school 2 hours away in October-November so...

Like I said I'm going to keep plugging away at this. I'll get the rear in, get the engine in, get everything hooked up and then if I'm having issues getting it running properly or at all... sell as roller and get something that runs. But... these engines aren't exactly complicated like everyone seems to make them. The timing system is more complicated than a pushrod... that's really it... hopefully no issues as long as nothing breaks mechanically and it shouldn't. Hopefully...

#758 ·
It wouldn't be too difficult to finish the car if you didn't have 100 other things to accomplish before shipping out.
I've always heard people say, "Try to do at least a little bit of work everyday day, and before you know it, the job will be done."

Be careful to not put yourself in a position where you are having to "fire sale" the car, and then scramble to try and find another one before you have to leave.
I feel pretty confident that, once you get the car back on the ground, the rest of the work will go smoothly. Hell, it's just a lil ol engine swap!
Remember the transmission swap in your '98? You probably set a world record for speed doing that!
You can do this Scotty! :thumb:

#759 · (Edited)
Yep little bit every day. Today was shot in the *** but I still got the cross links done. Literally waiting on parts now to do the IRS. I might look into cutting the stock termi springs while I wait and also try to get the 99 cams in the 00 engine. Just straight up, should be easy.

Agreed once the rear is done this will be easier. I probably should have just left the sra but... Always wanted an IRS of my own and it's basically done now.

Agreed I don't want to have to fire sale it. If it's not at least totally together and idling at the beginning of September I'll sell it as a roller. Thatll give me 45 days to sell it and find another. I'm good at finding them...

#760 ·
Old links vs new... Damn...

Attachments

#762 ·
Lmao, if I was going to sell it and get anything non Ford I'd go looking for a C5.

#765 ·
Yeah but you can get a nice C5 around here for like $13k lol.

In other news, I think I'm going to be able to push my report date back to 30 December. I just need my commander to authorize it and its apparently not a big deal, I just FB messaged my old boss who did it when he left for England a month ago. So basically do Xmas here (at someone else's house because we will probably move out mid December and live with family) and then fly out on the 27th or something of December and stay in temp lodging over New Years and then roll.

So... yeah I don't see any reason I can't get this done before leaving for school in October.

As far as actual Mustang talk, hey Rap did you ever cut the stock springs on any of your Terminators? Looking at SVTP and all the ******* links don't work or the photobucket pics aren't there. Need to match the rear to the 3/4" drop up front from the Steeda springs and I've got a set of stock Termi springs. Not sure how much to cut or if I should just remove the isolators and run a 5/8" heater hose on the bottom coil to keep it from being metal on metal... Might just get it all installed and then see what it looks like first, probably the best bet.

#766 ·
In other other news, got that $500 WJ Jeep ready to sell finally. Will finish funding the stang and pay for a few other things hopefully. Just need to take it to get it aligned and then inspected and then up for sale.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.