2000 Steeda Mustang GT #48 build thread - Page 29 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-08-2017, 08:43 PM   #981
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
I think agree about the alarm. Who knows how it is out there as far as thieves go lol. I’m not so sure I’d disable PATS. Couldn’t insurance use that to get out of paying a claim if it’s been disabled?
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2017, 10:15 AM   #982
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
I'll install a kill switch for the fuel if PATS is disabled. This is getting ahead of myself to getting it able to take a tune and start. Going to pull the computer out to make sure there is no chip on it and then rip into the alarm. About to go out there in a few minutes.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:21 AM   #983
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Good luck. Hopefully everything falls into place for you.
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2017, 01:32 PM   #984
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well there was a "superchip" on the ECU... yanked that thing out and sealed the ECU back up. This is hopefully the reason that the tune was not working.

The alarm in it is an actual Ford "aftermarket" alarm. Its wired in there pretty ok and not a rats nest like I thought it would be. Going to re-connect it and hook up the battery with the horn in place stuffed with a blanket so its not crazy loud and see if the owner's manual disarm procedure works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chipproblem.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	248370   Click image for larger version

Name:	alarm.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	248378  

2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:47 PM   #985
Staff
Regular
Staff

Ahhhh!!! Success!!!!

Ford alarm manual disable worked perfectly and tune uploaded and married my X3 to the car!

Only issue... theft light is flashing. I need to wait for James to send me a PATS disabled tune but now I know its either going to start and run properly or its going to burn the whole house down. Either way, the finish line is in sight.

Old 12-09-2017, 04:36 PM   #986
Registered Member
Regular

Even with PATS disabled, the theft light is going to flash on the New Edge Mustangs. No idea why.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:56 PM   #987
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well them maybe I'll try to fire it tomorrow morning? Maybe it'll kick over I dunno lol. If not then a PATS disabled tune should. If theft light keeps flashing I'll just pull the bulb.

Old 12-09-2017, 05:00 PM   #988
Registered Member
Regular

The PATS light will shut off after a minute or so if I remember correctly. I had the PATS disabled on mine.

I despise that security feature. It's a pain if you ever need to swap clusters or the ECU, lose the keys, etc.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:00 PM   #989
Staff
Regular
Staff

Also found a mint set of 20k takeoff 04 Cobra rims with new tires up front and 60% tread tires out back for $600 locally. Once I know the car is running well and will be a go I'll go grab them and maybe put a new set of rear tires on. Don't really NEED to, plenty of places that sell tires in Spain lol. Will have the original Ultralites and tires shipped over in my household goods.

Old 12-09-2017, 05:14 PM   #990
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
The PATS light will shut off after a minute or so if I remember correctly. I had the PATS disabled on mine.

I despise that security feature. It's a pain if you ever need to swap clusters or the ECU, lose the keys, etc.
Well now that I'm going to have it disabled I might try to find a 03/04 Cobra cluster with similar miles to mine. I mean mine has the Steeda white faces but I'd rather have the OEM Termi TBTH.

Old 12-09-2017, 05:19 PM   #991
Registered Member
Regular

You will miss the White face gauges. The black guages are almost impossible to see.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:22 PM   #992
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
The anticipation is really beginning to build!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:26 PM   #993
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
The anticipation is really beginning to build!
Agreed
Old 12-09-2017, 09:40 PM   #994
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
You will miss the White face gauges. The black guages are almost impossible to see.
The Termi is white face lol. Just better quality than whatever Steeda used and has boost vs volts.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:19 PM   #995
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
The Termi is white face lol. Just better quality than whatever Steeda used and has boost vs volts.
I now stand corrected. For some reason I was thinking GT. Most likely because my GT cluster drives me insane at times. With window tint and sunglasses, the entire cluster is not legible.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:12 AM   #996
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lol yeah I swap immediately every car I get. MAC gauges for the 96-98 look EXACTLY like OEM Cobra tot he point ppl thought I was lying when I said it was just a GT cluster with $30 white faces. They used to make them for the 99-up but I dunno why they stopped.

But yeah once I get it all good and running (fingers crossed) I'll worry about having a good gauge cluster shipped out to me. Sure there will have to be something from a garage queen in the 30k mile range somewhere.

Last night wound up turning into a complete cluster as far as working on anything, plus I need to go by work and "grab" some thick zip ties. I'll likely be up very late tonight.

Old 12-10-2017, 10:35 AM   #997
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Good to hear about your alarm. Mine had a chip on it too when I bought it. I had a similar prob with communicating to my handheld. That’s all I knew back in the day. I remember getting a Superchip for my 84 Z28 haha.

Anticipation is building to an all time high!
Old 12-10-2017, 11:17 PM   #998
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yep, she is ready to go. Got all the garbage wires ripped out, the alarm brain is tucked back up under the dash, wideband is installed into an autometer cluster bezel. Started putting the front end back together too. I'm literally just waiting for the non-PATS tune and a firewire to come in from Amazon so I can run the analog out into the X3 for datalogging. Going to bug all the wideband power/dimmer into the radio harness. That's something else I need to fix quick is the radio harness never had the right resistor installed in it to keep it from popping.

But... I don't need any of that to start it, just the PATS disabled tune. Really hoping that James can find a few minutes to update it and send it tomorrow.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:04 PM   #999
Staff
Regular
Staff

Starts and idles!

Now for the bad news... there is some sort of rattling noise coming from the bellhousing and I have no idea what it is. Its pretty loud too... I'll need to get a video of it.

It does NOT change with any clutch action at all or RPM. Usually a TOB or Pilot or even input shaft will change with sound or RPM. I was freaking out at first but... does not change with RPM, does not change with clutch depressed or released... clutch grabs GREAT (backed it into garage under its own power) so I need to bang around under the car. Also need to let it get fully hot and see if the noise goes away with a hot engine.

TBTH I'm thinking it might be the separator plate because of the bellhousing adapter?

I dunno. But I know it runs, no leaks (another fun story there), guages all work and I wired it all properly it seems. Like I said I'm going to bang around under it and figure out wth. And also wire up the wideband to firewire so I can send logs to the tuner because it BARELY idles right now lol.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:06 PM   #1000
Registered Member
Regular

It's ALIVE!
Old 12-11-2017, 08:07 PM   #1001
Staff
Regular
Staff

The leak story is I get out of the car after finally getting it to idle on its own and its peeing oil onto the ground. Killed it asap and started looking around. The oil cooler/filter to block adapter had a hairline crack where the sensor went in. Either I did it or some other person did... dunno. Lucky for me (REALLY lucky) I had a second one from a 96 Cobra engine I parted awhile ago. Changing the thing out is actually not as hard as I thought, did it in about and hour. Fired it back up and no leaks... just that damn noise.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:37 PM   #1002
Registered Member
Regular

Beat it with a hammer to stop the noise.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:26 PM   #1003
Registered Member
Regular

Congrats!
Yeah, I would be suspicious of the adapter plate.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:38 PM   #1004
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'm going to check for anything touching the trans, pop the dust cover off, pop the 2 bottom bolts off the plate and put a pry bar on it and go form all there.

Just extremely weird... no change with RPM, no change with clutch pedal depressed or released. Pilot or TOB would change pitch or silence themselves depending on if the clutch is up or down and if it was an input shaft it would also shut up with clutch depressed.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:47 AM   #1005
Registered Member
Regular

That is strange.
Fingers crossed that it is only something minor.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:47 PM   #1006
Staff
Regular
Staff

https://youtu.be/xDYvPleYuO8

Eiiiieeeeeeeeee!

Old 12-12-2017, 04:47 PM   #1007
Staff
Regular
Staff

Separator plate. I'll have to do some creative prybaring but I'll get it. Its pressed up just slightly against a raised section on the back of the flywheel. Ideally if I can get a grinder up in there and grind on it that'll work but I think removing the starter (again) and then going to town with a pry bar just go get literally a 1/16" of clearance will do it.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 12-12-2017, 06:54 PM   #1008
Staff
Regular
Staff

The fun oil leak I had on very first startup was this bugger here... Either me (probably me tbth) or whoever owned the car it was on before went gorilla on the sensor. Thing was pissing oil all over.

Like I mentioned before... STUPID lucky I had another one in the shed. It was the dirty AF one which is why I used the other one but a little cleaner and wire wheel and good as new.

I really had a lot of little BS from all those engines I parted out that saved me money and time. ALL the coolant hoses and tstat housing, tons of hardware/bolts/scrounge, gaskets, energy suspension motor mounts, manifolds, alternator and a spare alternator, throttle body etc... etc...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crackedfilter.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	248730   Click image for larger version

Name:	crackedfilterreplacement.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	248738  

Old 12-12-2017, 07:43 PM   #1009
Registered Member
Regular

That is a quiet exhaust.

The engine is running great though. Now beat on the plate and pull that thing out of the garage.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:53 PM   #1010
Staff
Regular
Staff

Glad its quiet, needs to be because they test for decibels in the ITV (spanish inspection). This is not to say I will not be ordering a Bassani or Steeda IRS exhaust at some point once I'm over there and keep a quieter catback to swap in for the ITV. Its a DIY Flowmaster kit with 4" tips. Fits great and IRS catbacks swap literally in 10 minutes once the car is in the air.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:11 PM   #1011
Registered Member
Regular

Good deal!
It's nice to have spare parts around when you need them.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:51 PM   #1012
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Congrats man! Glad she’s running. I’m glad you were right about the bell housing. Sounds like you’ll be able to get your pry bar on as you mentioned. Also, there is something to be said about parts hoarding lol.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:03 AM   #1013
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah its literally just a touch of metal and I have room to get a small narrow prybar up there and plenty of leverage because the K member brace bar is right there. Like I said I'll screw with it till I get it to shut up. Wish I knew about it when it was out but oh well.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:05 PM   #1014
Staff
Regular
Staff

Cut the bottom of the separator plate off and ripped the whole bottom half out. Will modify where its rubbing and then bolt it back in.

Fenders are on, waiting on goddamn Amazon to overnight a firewire to me after they lost my package so I can hook up my X3 for datalogging the wideband. That's tomorrow, going to send logs to James tomorrow night, hopefully he gets me an updated driving tune for the weekend.

She's basically done. Just front bumper and hood needs to go back on and 2 or 3 really little nitpicky things.

Going to look at a set of seller claims "mint" OEM Termi wheels and good tires on Saturday. Alignment next week, dropping it off in Baltimore on the 28th.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:11 AM   #1015
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Cut the bottom of the separator plate off and ripped the whole bottom half out. Will modify where its rubbing and then bolt it back in.

Fenders are on, waiting on goddamn Amazon to overnight a firewire to me after they lost my package so I can hook up my X3 for datalogging the wideband. That's tomorrow, going to send logs to James tomorrow night, hopefully he gets me an updated driving tune for the weekend.

She's basically done. Just front bumper and hood needs to go back on and 2 or 3 really little nitpicky things.

Going to look at a set of seller claims "mint" OEM Termi wheels and good tires on Saturday. Alignment next week, dropping it off in Baltimore on the 28th.
I feel like you just rounded 2nd base and slid like Pete Rose into 3rd lol. Home plate is in sight!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT