2000 Steeda Mustang GT #48 build thread - Page 30 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-14-2017, 12:57 PM   #1016
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
As soon as my ****ing firewire gets here... its sad when you go to an electronics store and they ask "what's a firewire?"... I'm so old...

Amazon lost the first shipment tho but its supposed to be here tonight. Wire it up tonight, get a good datalog tonight or tomorrow morning and send to James and pray to god he gets me something by tomorrow night.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2017, 01:07 PM   #1017
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
As soon as my ****ing firewire gets here... its sad when you go to an electronics store and they ask "what's a firewire?"... I'm so old...

Amazon lost the first shipment tho but its supposed to be here tonight. Wire it up tonight, get a good datalog tonight or tomorrow morning and send to James and pray to god he gets me something by tomorrow night.
I'm in the music industry. About 10 years ago FireWire was the fastest way to transfer data.

I'm glad to have been one of the reluctant few to hold out and not purchase any FireWire equipment. Today USB3 is the go-to connection.
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:33 PM   #1018
Staff
Regular
Staff

My new mobo has USB C and USB 3.1... Lol I feel like I'm back in 2009 when my "state of the art" mobo had these crazy blue USB ports lmao.

Yeah its coming in tonight. I need to cut the end off and then shoot the wires to get the correct pinout and then wire it in. Going to just bug into the aftermarket radio harness for the gauge power/dimming. Funny how a $5 wire can hold me up for the better part of a week as far as the tune goes lol.

In other news, this is what was causing all the racket. What I get for modifying a FWD motor to work in a RWD app lol. I cut that part out and bolted it back up and just ****load of RTV on the area where the cut was. It'll work. 0 snow or salt to worry about in Spain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	platescrape.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	248810  
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2017, 07:21 PM   #1019
Registered Member
Regular

Is it working yet. I want to see you back out into the snow.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:35 PM   #1020
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah she is ready to log. I hate wires and wiring... Wired the wideband power into the radio harness because I needed to get in there and install the 12v-5v converter for the Mach system that the PO didn't get done. Also got the firewire hacked up, ohm'd out and bugged into the wideband as well.

Doing the log tomorrow morning and shooting the log file off to James. All that is left besides that is a few interior panels, the hood and the front bumper.

Then alignment/inspection/tires and go.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:37 PM   #1021
Staff
Regular
Staff

Log went fine today, wideband was wired in properly, pretty cool to see all the gauges on the laptop screen going. Only thing I had to figure out was the wideband formula which was right on the APSX website.

Buttoning up a few things today and getting wheels tomorrow for it and I'll have to post a big pic thread when done.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:52 PM   #1022
Registered Member
Regular

Looking forward to the pics, and to a video of the car moving under its own power.

(Revvv-AKA The 2V King per Recon)
Old 12-15-2017, 02:02 PM   #1023
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yep. And after having done this I personally think EVERYONE should have this sort of setup going on in their car.

$130 for a wideband

https://www.amazon.com/APSX-D2-Digit...Bwideband&th=1

$125 or so for a used X3 (no need for an X4 IMO) and then $5 for a firewire.

And I'm no tuner myself but if I start having issues with it running rough I can call my tuner from anywhere in the world, send him a log and pay him whatever his troubleshooting fee is to tell me wth is going on.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:07 PM   #1024
Registered Member
Regular

I can plug my laptop into my x4 and get real time results with livewire.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:10 PM   #1025
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah I can do it with the X3 too but with the firewire the wideband is hooked directly to the X3 as well and ran into the laptop so you get that added input in 10-down cars that didn't come with one factory.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:16 PM   #1026
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Yeah I can do it with the X3 too but with the firewire the wideband is hooked directly to the X3 as well and ran into the laptop so you get that added input in 10-down cars that didn't come with one factory.
That makes sense.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:59 PM   #1027
Staff
Regular
Staff

So instead of buying some OEM Termis with "good" tires on them I did some calling around. Its only $125 per wheel to get my Ultra Lites re-done plus its $150 per tire mounted/balanced for some good tires so I'm going that route. Car looks way too good on the Ultra Lites to get rid of them.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:09 PM   #1028
Staff
Regular
Staff

Forgot I had not loaded a good daylight picture of this car out in the open yet as far as the engine.

All stock except for the 39lb injectors and exhaust. Exhaust is a shop special with Flowmaster 40s. As much as I rag on Flowmasters this particular catback sounds damn good with the catted X and stock manifolds. Probably because of the stock manifolds and cats tbth, most of them running junk shorties and offroad pipes sound like a can of ***.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	datalogdaybay.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	248834  

Old 12-16-2017, 01:03 AM   #1029
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Lookin’ good! IDK, it seems like every exhaust setup sounds good on the 4.6L DOHC’s lol.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:45 AM   #1030
Staff
Regular
Staff

I love the way the 4V sounds. Has that... "burble" that you just don't get with anything else. I dunno this exhaust setup does sound great so far. The tailpipes are exhaust shop specials but I could always get a shop over in ROTA to mandrel bend up new ones. or I'll just get a nice polished Steeda catback shipped over at some point. Nice thing about being military and having a FPO address is you can still order damn near anything you can in the USA, you just have to wait.

Old 12-16-2017, 11:49 AM   #1031
Registered Member
Regular

I'm still waiting for a rolling shot of that beast completed.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:53 AM   #1032
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lol me too. Will be waiting till the new tune arrives. Probably Monday evening.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:00 PM   #1033
Staff
Regular
Staff

Coolant puddle under the car... pulled it out of the garage and fired it up, heard fluid noise from inside the car but by the time I got it to idle properly with the base tune the leak was gone. Pulled back in garage and waited for it to cool down. Heater core connection.... pushed hose as far on as it would go and went nuts with the hose clamp. Leak stopped. Thank god... worst case if it comes back I can bypass the core and figure it out once it gets to Spain. But seems ok now.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:34 PM   #1034
Registered Member
Regular

Who needs a heater?
Old 12-17-2017, 07:11 PM   #1035

Region: California
run it with heater on if ya fog up with that sweet sweet smell of coolant.. well then you'll know lol.
Smotpoker15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:06 PM   #1036
Staff
Regular
Staff

Nah, leak was just a hose. Its fixed. Hoping the tune comes in tomorrow, gotta go to the u-pull to grab a few things, going to call to see how fast of a turnaround it is on wheels at the local shops to get mine redone or just order new ones.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:42 PM   #1037
Staff
Regular
Staff

Wheels are at the shop getting a full resto. $135 per wheel to make them look brand new and mount/balance tires. 275/35/18 tires were on special at Tirerack for $82 per tire! They are the Riken Raptors. Riken is Michelin's "house brand" apparently. Did some googling and ran into a mob of LS1 guys using them and saying they were great.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

Going to be into a brand new set of good rims with a legit coating from a really good shop plus good tires for under $900. Not bad and I can rotate them... or at least swap fronts and backs anyway.

And one of the reason the rims were flaking so bad is because someone had used wheel cleaner on them. I've mentioned this before but will do it again here... NEVER use wheel cleaner on any wheel you actually care about. Car wash and water. Interior wipes on the sidewalls for the shine and be careful you don't get any on the rim.

Old 12-19-2017, 02:12 PM   #1038
Staff
Regular
Staff

That'll do Donkey... that'll do...

Old 12-19-2017, 02:31 PM   #1039
Registered Member
Regular

Shrek, those wheels are amazing. Now I know what I want when the time comes.

I thought I wanted FR500 wheels with a deep dish, staggered set up. I thought wrong.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:07 PM   #1040
Registered Member
Regular

As beautiful as those wheels are, the center caps are the diamond in the center. From my understanding Steeda no longer makes or sells them. Locating that center is not easy.

If you found a source, please share.

Old 12-19-2017, 03:22 PM   #1041
Registered Member
Regular

Are those your old rims?
straybullitt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 03:51 PM   #1042
Registered Member
Regular

For some reason the wheel pics are not showing for me now, but they appear to be 2000 Cobra R wheels.

Old 12-19-2017, 04:05 PM   #1043
Registered Member
Regular

Those look like the wheels that came with the car. Man! They really look great!
I'm surprised that it was such a fast turnaround.
straybullitt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:08 PM   #1044
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Those look like the wheels that came with the car. Man! They really look great!
I'm surprised that it was such a fast turnaround.
I'm almost positive they are the wheels that came with the car. Now if Scotty will confirm it. Lol

Old 12-19-2017, 07:40 PM   #1045
Staff
Regular
Staff

Those are in fact the original wheels that came on the car lol. Shop near me and tirerack combined their powers Captain Planet style in literally a 24 hour turnaround.

Center caps are the originals that came with the car as well.

Drove the car tonight. Besides there being an issue with the idle (car tries to die and then catches coming down to idle) and the clutch needing adjustment it is GREAT. I've driven cars with IRS before but never one with a FTBR IRS and now I have one of my own... trust me... its like driving a 04-down Mustang but like... solid...

Had to express order a MM quadrant and a microclick adjuster for the clutch tonight tho. Pedal feels mushy and like its not disengaging fully. All gears feel terrific when driving the car tho so I'm going with once I get the cable tightened up hopefully that'll be good. Getting into R right now I have to do 5th like 3 or 4 times for it to not grind... no idea, it just started doing it tonight but assuming its the cable adjustment.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:42 PM   #1046
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
That’s awesome! Glad you were able to take her for a spin. That’s a pretty small to-do list TBH. Nice work
Old 12-20-2017, 03:04 PM   #1047
Staff
Regular
Staff

Fixed reverse today. Another issue with the spacer causing little gotchas but 10 minutes with a dremel got it. Clutch fork was hitting the opening in the bell and not fully engaging the clutch. Nice and smooth now.

Did some more datalogging today and talking to the tuner. Got the idle issue sorted out, was a wonky pcv valve and the throttle set screw was not even close to 1 volt. In Livelink, absolute throttle value of 205=1volt so I set it to 203 on the set screw and boom. Fixed. At this point now it's just final dialing in of the tune and find a ****ing hood.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1513803817303.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	249097   Click image for larger version

Name:	1513803828905.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	249105  

Name:	1513803840154.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	249113  

Old 12-20-2017, 03:25 PM   #1048
Registered Member
Regular

Beautiful car.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:53 PM   #1049
Staff
Regular
Staff

Done... minus fine tuning on the ECU. Taking it for an alignment tomorrow morning, will NOT let the dude doing the alignment move the car without me in it. Eff that noise. Honestly it just needs a camber adjustment out back, it tracks straight as hell.

Will finish dialing the tune in next week and get a good inspection sticker on it and roll.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:03 PM   #1050
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
It looks good. Needs to be on coil-overs though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT