2000 Steeda Mustang GT #48 build thread - Page 5 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-19-2015, 06:58 PM   #141
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
2000 Steeda Mustang GT #48 build thread

You're right I glanced at the paint from his latest pictures and thought it was grey. Garage picture made the color look darker. Well to me at least.

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2015, 08:13 PM   #142
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Its silver for sure. Only issue I think I am going to have with it is making sure I get the paint chipped back to where it is not going to peel anymore and then seal it in with the red putty primer and then paint and blend.

I mean worst case scenario I'll vinyl wrap the roof and they do have a silver wrap if I don't want to go black but I really would prefer to fix the paint correctly.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda build #48. Bolt ons, suspension, Novi 2000.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:19 PM   #143
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Are you actually going to spray the color down too? I didn't know you painted as well.

@azurebluemach
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2015, 08:48 PM   #144
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
My car is doing the same thing on the drivers side near the windshield.
It will be interesting to see how this turns out.
straybullitt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:26 AM   #145
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Are you actually going to spray the color down too? I didn't know you painted as well.

@azurebluemach
Its nothing major so yeah. If this was a whole panel or even a spoiler or something I would probably have it done somewhere. Just a spray bomb kit from a really good paint matching service I've used before with great results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
My car is doing the same thing on the drivers side near the windshield.
It will be interesting to see how this turns out.
I'll do a step by step on it. I've done a similar repair to a way worse paint issue on my old Cobra.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:25 PM   #146
WJL
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Post some pics i would like to see how well this works
WJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:40 PM   #147
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Now I'm afraid to remove the sail panels lol. I mean you have pretty much the same miles I had on mine when I bought it in 2012.

@azurebluemach
You should be, notorious area, funny after all these years, Ford still can't seal windows/panels right. I'd bet almost all of us have some sort of cancer starting to show either here or around windshield. When replacing my windshield, found minor rust both places.

Definately post pics of ur spraybomb job, I've always been wary of painting/clearing something I love, but these are good hidden areas for practice heh

Guess you'll have to wait til you crack ur windshield to deal with the rust under it, lol.

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fomoco4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:18 PM   #148
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco4life View Post
You should be, notorious area, funny after all these years, Ford still can't seal windows/panels right. I'd bet almost all of us have some sort of cancer starting to show either here or around windshield. When replacing my windshield, found minor rust both places.

Definately post pics of ur spraybomb job, I've always been wary of painting/clearing something I love, but these are good hidden areas for practice heh

Guess you'll have to wait til you crack ur windshield to deal with the rust under it, lol.

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Yep, the sail/roof trim area is notorious for this. Look at the pics I posted a page back of the trim removed. You can see the surface rust spot extending downwards right where the two trim panels meet. This is where it collected water and got under the paint and bubbled and that was that.

Lol now I have all this pressure on me to not **** up haha. I've done this before around the sail panels and it came out to where you couldn't even see it. Here's hoping this repair is just as good.

Like I said there is always the vinyl option as a last resort although I really REALLY don't want to do that. This company at www.paintscratch.com has never done me wrong in the past, their paint is dead nuts to factory.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:04 AM   #149
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Thanks for that link! Lol $347 for a gollon of azure blue paint. Nice products available on that site. I going to take a long look at my Mach and see if there is anything I would like to paint AB. You can buy spray cans made for non-metal surfaces.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:37 AM   #150
Staff
Regular
Staff

That's actually not an unfair price for a gallon of OEM matched paint. The stuff you see in the pic I posted was like $105 worth. I can speak from past experience that their paint is dead nuts matched though.

I cleaned off the roof and all those areas this afternoon with dawn and water to take off any wax or anything on the roof. Going to prep the areas tonight and go from there. Its like 50 degrees for some damn reason right now so I may wait until it gets a little warmer to spray the paint down. Although its more like 60 in my garage so I'm sure it'll be fine.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:07 PM   #151
Registered Member
Regular

I know that you aren't painting a large area, but if you have a gas water heater, and if it is in your garage, take appropriate measures to ensure that the paint fumes and the flame don't come in contact with one another.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:14 PM   #152
Staff
Regular
Staff

I live in military housing. Its all electric and its in its own utility room in another part of the house but yeah good looking out. That could suck if someone did not take the right precautions. And everything is electric mainly because you don't want gas utilities in a clustered townhouse community honestly.

Luckily with everything in the house being electric I pay no utilities, its all tied into my housing allowance. And there are solar panels on all the houses too so base housing is one giant solar farm which is kinda cool.

Edit: My final re-enlistment bonus deposit dropped today. Wife is getting summer clothes and I am getting some too and paying off a small CC with some of it and the rest is going to go towards the final parts for this car.

-75mm TB/Plenum
-On3 or PAS Slot MAF with flange and pigtail
-Blast/dip/coat/bake of the BBK tuned headers
-Getting the Steeda Ultra Lites blasted and re-coated locally
-Gaskets for valvecovers, timing cover, intake
-Speedhut water/oil gauges and autometer cluster pod
-Tires
-Tune

Probably going to have more like $9k into it when all is said and done... I knew I'd go over budget ugh. Still, for a 34k mile numbered Novi 2000'd car that I've totally gone though and made sure everything is new/correct that is damn good IMO.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:39 PM   #153
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
^you seriously can't beat that. Good luck ever getting something like that ever again. 9k is a drop in the bucket, hell that'd what it would cost me to drop a whipple on my coyote. And then I still have to pay for the rest of the car. Lol

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:04 PM   #154
Registered Member
Regular

Probably closer to 10 before you are satisfied.

I think that is a bargain for that car. And you know that it is done right!
You would look long and hard to find another "fixer upper" like that!
Old 05-21-2015, 07:24 PM   #155
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lol yeah it'll probably be $9500-$10k... which is still a steal for this car with this mileage.

Anyway, the paint repair began tonight...

Sanded down till the paint stopped flaking and smoothed out.

Hit it with this stuff on a lint free cloth and got a BIG swathe around and above this area because the paint is going to overspray a good 4-6".

Then a lint free cloth and the Rust Off

Out comes the putty

And this is where we stand.

50 degree weather=its taking forever to set up. I may just leave it till morning TBTH... supposed to be 80 tomorrow. Will sand it down smooth and then tape everything off and spray tomorrow. Once done I am going to let this setup for a loooooooooooong time before putting the panels back on. Like 1-2 weeks. Also going to clear silicone the joint between the sail and roof panel so this doesn't have any potential to happen again if the car ever has to sit out for any length of time.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:19 PM   #156
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
Scotty, is that a sandable clear? That's an awesome kit.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:49 PM   #157
Staff
Regular
Staff

Its a specially formulated clearcoat that lays down real easy and dries really fast. AFIAK its not to be sanded but you cut it in with a buffer and cutting crème which is what I will be doing.

Just got in from the garage... got the red putty primer sanded almost exactly how I want it but not happy with a few spots. Re-applied and going to bed. Will attack in in the morning and get it how I want it and start laying down primer/sanding. Once the primer is smooth and all evidence of cracks are invisible I should be home free.

Only area that really has me kinda pissed is a chip in the roof that is far away from everything else. Its a little too big for a pen but small enough that hitting it with this kit is overkill but I'm going to do it anyway. Scuffed up the area around it and filled it with the primer and sanded it down so its about a quarter sized area that needs to get painted over now.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:14 PM   #158
Staff
Regular
Staff

Getting there... Needs moar coats. Also going to clear most of the open sections and cut them in to blend it. Very matte right now obviously with no clear.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1432332796227.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	183167   Click image for larger version

Name:	1432332813552.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	183168  

Old 05-22-2015, 04:18 PM   #159
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Lookin good!

@azurebluemach
Old 05-22-2015, 04:30 PM   #160
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Looks good Scotty. Once the clear coat is on, I take it you're gonna buff it and blend the new clear coat and old correct? I'm following your build thread and painting steps to see how it turns out! I'd like to remove the spoiler from my car and paint it, but this seems easier than dragging out my whole paint gun setup and all.

Sent from the mothership.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:05 PM   #161
Staff
Regular
Staff

Looks good in the pics but it's being a total pita as far as the metallic paint. It looks ok now but from certain angles it's not great. I'm going to do a few more coats and let it harden up. Clear coat should make it look real good. The repaired area is invisible.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:36 PM   #162
Registered Member

Regular

It's definitely tough to blend metalics.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:25 PM   #163
Staff
Regular
Staff

Not sure how this is going to look... Definitely would be good with a non metallic. Paintscratch actually says right on the website they recommend doing the whole panel with metallics if possible vs blending.

I'm going to give it a few days to dry and then clear and see how that looks.

Like I said worst case I do vinyl. My wife actually saw a pic of a black vinyl roof car and thought my car would look better with the black roof and black Steeda stripes and a black wing. Lol fml.

Old 05-25-2015, 04:54 PM   #164
WJL
Registered Member
Regular

Hey looks pretty good and metallic can be difficult.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:38 PM   #165
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I haven't ever seen a fully vinyl roof. I'd really like to see it if you do go that route. Do you have pics of the paint you laid on it so far? I am thinking about buying one of these kits to delete the spoiler on my trunk. I was going to plug it and paint the plugs. But when I got the spoiler off, it had gouged the paint after 200k miles.

Sent from the mothership.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:30 PM   #166
Registered Member

Regular

Scotty, how did the paint turn out?
Old 05-25-2015, 08:59 PM   #167
Staff
Regular
Staff

Its sanded back down. It was pretty blatant where the OEM paint was and the PS paint was. I mean the color is a dead nuts match but the flake was not. Not really their fault either, spraying with a can vs factory is not going to ever turn out the same. It was stupid easy with white paint last time lol.

Debating right now whether I am going to go from broke and try the whole roof panel (will need another can) or just say eff it and do the gloss vinyl wrap.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:23 AM   #168
Registered Member

Regular

Yeah, I knew it'd be tough with metallic but was hoping it'd blend. I'm sure it'd get expensive fast. I'd love to see an example of the gloss vinyl wrap. I'll Google.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:35 AM   #169
Registered Member

Regular

That looks more satin but it's absolutely sick! Lol thank you Google.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1432636335932.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	183379  
Old 05-26-2015, 05:33 AM   #170
Staff
Regular
Staff

Just look on AM. They sell it and already have customer pics.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:27 AM   #171
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Hey Scotty remember when you said this? Lol

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1432880827.896592.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	272.9 KB
ID:	183632

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1432880839.296568.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	183633

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:38 AM   #172
Staff
Regular
Staff

I do remember... but there are other things I want to get for this car after its running properly.

1 is going to be trying to find someone to swap my low mileage solid axle with the steeda control arms for an IRS and then do a FTBR kit.

2 is going to be the full MM K member setup with forward offset control arms.

3 is the hood and a 99/01 Cobra front bumper and at that point I am going to do a full re-spray on the car and I'll have the shop peel the vinyl off and remove the windshield/back window and do it right. That is likely 2 or 3 years down the road. Car looks damn good like it is IMO.

Also with the black roof and some other black accents on the car... I'm starting to think about those goddamn Icon tails... they're growing on me as much as I didn't like them at first. That will probably be a tax return purchase next year or when I get some spare $$$ lying around.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:16 PM   #173
Registered Member
Regular

Well, I suppose that if you aren't happy with the results of the roof, there probably isn't an easier panel on the car to repaint.
I don't think that a body shop would charge too much to repaint it, especially if everything is already disassembled, and sanded.
Or, if you can scrounge up some decent spray equipment, this is something that you can do yourself Scotty.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:28 PM   #174
WJL
Registered Member
Regular

Would you have to take the windshield out to wrap it?
Old 06-01-2015, 03:41 PM   #175
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Nah, you can get under the windshield weather strip enough

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT