Mustang Evolution Forum banner

2000 Steeda Mustang GT #48 build thread

121K views 1K replies 51 participants last post by  scottydsntknow 
#1 ·
Brought it home today finally. Anyone not following my other thread, I only paid $5500 for 34k original miles because it has a blown motor. Looking for replacement motors already and found a ton of real low mile Vic engines locally. Car is not perfect... Little nitpcky things that drive me bonkers that I will get on immediately.

Honestly... Not really much to do after I swap the motor out and cosmetic stuff. I'll list the build sheet when I get on a computer.

Pics!

Attachments

See less See more
#1,306 ·
Will your last reenlistment take you to 20 years of service?
I think that it is a good idea to stick around as a civilian employee of some sort, after retirement. Don't the years you work get added to your total military retirement benefits?
Yes. If the family is happy over there, why come back? Not everyone has the opportunity to do what you did, so you may as well make the most of it.

#1,307 ·
This extension takes me to 21.5. My higher tenure right now is 22 but if they bring back time in service I'll make rank and it'll be 24. Still... I doubt I'll do longer regardless. I'm working on a Master's degree from OU and hopefully I can get employed here. The good news is if my wife's income stays the same plus my retirement we can stay here and I can be a housewife lol... she does freelancing, twitter, patreon etc... kind of not stable which is the issue.

If I do get a DOD job like I want I can buy up to 6 years of "retirement" so if I do another 20 working for the DOD I'll retire at 63 with 22 years active and "26" years with the DOD plus savings/investments. Not bad.

The big issue regardless of your politics is the USA is a shitshow right now. The GOP is imploding, domestic terrorism is on the rise and the national debt is $27Tn... We are seriously considering dual citizenship and then go from there but I'm legit worried about the USA... and not from any sort of hating or partisan point of view... its just screwed right now... I'm blessed to have had the option to "punch out" and watch from overseas... most don't get to do that. I really do hope it gets better and I can come back to the USA I knew growing up... that would be the best option.

#1,308 ·
And to anyone watching the other thread that got closed... I have been politically pretty conservative most of my life... but what is going on now is not Dems vs Repubs... its something else... and not to get into it on a build thread... anyway...

One of the guys who flys in my RC Club is a painter at one of the shops here in town and I'm hoping to get him to do the Mustang. He has a BMW 3 series he painted like a silver mystic blue... if that makes sense... if he can do the Stang in the same color that would rock.

Reactions: ab_mach1
#1,309 ·
I agree, it's a mess over here.
If I left, I probably wouldn't want to come back either.
I would be more suited for a desert island though. Like Gilligan's island! Lol

No immediate plans to sell my car either. If Ford decides to put the Godzilla engine in the Mustang, that might change my mind. It would be nice to see one last big-block Mustang before everything goes to electric.

#1,310 ·
TBTH the electric Mustang is probably going to be faster than anything else before it... There are electric plug ins a lot of places around here...

I'm still waiting to see what/if/when the Biden stimulus drops, it probably will since it got rammed through the other day, so $1400 for me plus tax returns plus I'm finally fixing my white diesel that got sideswiped and I can sell my beater that I've had for $1500. Plan is to take that $3k or so and do the full on air suspension and exhaust and enjoy the car for the summer. I'll do body and paint this coming off season. And Vortech is selling brand new Novi 2000 headunits again which is awesome. I have the brackets and the CCW units are driven by the normal accessory drive. That's a little down the road tho and I might just leave it NA until I build a new motor and get a trans for it. The nice thing about having literally no debt anymore except for one consolidation loan that will be done in about 18 months is I can put money away and still get toys...

#1,311 ·
Ford just canceled a half billion dollar project with a electric vehicle manufacturer to build their line of Lincoln EV's. So it will be interesting to see what happens.
The Mach E is only slightly slower than the Mustang EcoBoost.
Our governor signed a bill requiring that all new cars sold in CA must be electric powered by 2035.
The technology will probably be advanced enough to make EV viable for most consumers by that time, but I doubt that the power grid infrastructure will be in place to recharge all of those vehicles. Newsom seems to be overlooking that small piece of the puzzle.
None of the alternative energy projects seem to be working out as they had hoped. We still live under threat of rolling blackouts during the hot summer months.

#1,312 ·
Pretty sure anyone in that "other thread" is aware of how I feel about certain politicians but Newsom for sure is a dumbass. There are plenty of them on both sides... that's the problem. Anyway... yeah hopefully the grids are ok by then for all EV... if not there are gonna be a lot of 2030s fuel vehicles for sale for premium price... I remember when my father had to buy lead additive for a 1969 Camaro he had... I'm gonna have an internal combustion Mustang in like 2050 and be telling my grandkids how we used to just drive to the corner and they'd have these huge tanks full of gasoline we'd fill our cars with instead of having to have to schedule a fillup with a mobile tanker truck... Actually that is a good idea I bet a lot of ppl would pay for someone to show up overnight with a fuel truck and fill their **** and just bill them with a card on file... Like Grubhub but for gas... ppl are that lazy...

Reactions: ab_mach1
#1,315 ·
California is like... how not to run a state... like... as far as over-regulation. How to not run a state into the ground educationally/financially/socially you can take like the bottom 1/3 of all the states in the USA and cite them. Cite in Chicago style for extra assh0le points. I get what Cali is trying to do socially, I do... I get what the programs are for and how they are trying to be more like Europe... the issue is it doesn't work when you have USA rules/regulations regarding businesses... Also Newsom is an idiot... Like here in Spain if I wanted to like... go in with my Portuguese friend and open up a Bodegon here it would be about 10k euros each and there would be taxes, employee minimum wage here is way higher etc... etc... but you know what? These places still make a killing. It would be even better since he can make crazy good Portuguese BBQ and I'm actually a very good cook as far as "not white ppl food" even tho I'm a 38 year old white dude lol. I can also make "normal white ppl food" very good as well. Taxes are high, there is a lot of extra stuff but you are not responsible for having to pay healthcare or any other BS that are dropped on employers in the USA because the gov't takes care of it all. Someone tries to do that in California they are going to take it in the ass with a double ended silicone war dildo...

Anyway... for the car... I am going back and forth on the MM K setup I already have plus forward offset A arms and the air coilovers or... for way cheaper and probably more durable... Stock K, stock A arms with Global West Del-A-Lum bushings and air springs with the Tokico D specs I have already. The air coilovers just for the 2 fronts is $1500... ouch... The air springs are $500 but they only work with the stock A arms. I COULD run like... a UPR K or if BMR ever unfcucks their 96-04 K maybe that's an option as well... The Steeda one would have been perfect but they want way too much plus they ship it on a Pallet so that would be a fun forwarding process to here...

If there wasn't a REALLY REALLY good/famous road racing course 20 minutes from my house it would be an easy choice... Problem is there is a REALLY REALLY good/famous road racing course 20 minutes from my house... I think I'm going to do the MM setup and hate my bank account for a few months because I know if I go the cheaper option I'm always gonna look at it and be like "man..."

#1,316 ·
We need to kick California out of the union, immediately declare war on the state, and then take it back by force. I think that is the only way to regain control.
I'll stay and act as a resistance fighter. It will be my small contribution.

My crispy tacos are to die for, and I have really been fine tuning my spaghetti sauce (meat gravy) this past year.

You probably already know what I'm going to say. Throw some C-springs on the front, so that the ride height is streetable, and call it good. I know that it won't be very low. But it will be simple and light.
Take the money, and put it towards opening a Bodega!
It could be the fact that I haven't had any dinner yet, is clouding my judgment... But I'm really feeling this Bodega thing right now.

#1,317 · (Edited)
It scrapes going up and down the driveway now and that is with Steeda Sport springs... Like it needs to be stock OEM height to get in and out without tearing up the bottom...I guess I could use a coilover wrench and take the 5-10 minutes to raise the front all the way up on the way out lol.

As far as Cali... they have the 5th biggest economy in the world... They need to make it affordable to live there... that is the big thing... there is a reason so many ppl are leaving... Problem is they are going to like... Nevada and Az which get a lot of subsidies from big economy blue states... for the most part... That's the problem... you have janky ass piss poor states you can do anything you want for the most part... but the education/infrastructure and economies are ****. You can have really good schools, roads, infrastructure etc... in like... NJ where I used to live but property taxes are absolutely retarded... This is kind of a problem when you have 50 different state gov'ts competing with the fed and each other sometimes... Maybe we federalize the whole thing like some other countries? I don't know what the fix is tbth...

Anyway for the car... I'll see what can be done... maybe my friend and I can come up with something with the driveway to get it to where I can get the hell out reliably without it rubbing.

#1,319 · (Edited)
Well the solution is to def not PM someone screaming at them about being a communist traitor because they have some left leaning views... but I digress... taken care of lol.

I just bought two of those big rubber "curb fillers" last night on amazon.

The issue isn't the start of the "ramp" its the top... they did build a little bit of an angle into the driveway but the Mustang as it sits right now bottoms out pretty hard right in the middle of the car... I'm thinking one of those rubber curb ramps flipped upside down like a speed bump bolted to the grout in the tile right ahead of the wheel as the middle of the car is about to scrape could lift up the rear of the car 3" and get it past that critical point... if that works then that is a $200 solution and is "permanent"... When they come in I am going to try to figure it all out prior to doing the suspension...

I really think I have to be able to figure something out... was watching youtube for a good few hours last night watching what ppl do to get slammed cars out of driveways. Mine won't be "slammed" but I mean you get the idea...

I'm also going to have to 100% install front and rear warning sensors so I know exactly if I am going to back into something because of course you can park on both sides of the street here and getting out in the summer is going to be a little tricky even with the clearance issues fixed. I'm doing a backup camera in the white car this week but I have a nice single DIN in the Mustang so sensors will work there.

#1,320 ·
Ramps...

Speedbump thingers if it can get 5" under it... giggity... If not maybe I can try flipping over the ramps.

#1,321 ·
I see. It looks like the speed bump looking one in the first link would work best. Probably, just a standard speed bump would work good, centered half of the wheelbase away from the center of the hump of the slope. Rather than bolting it down, you might try using a small amount of adhesive to hold it in place, bearing in mind that you will likely have to remove any adhesive residue when you move out. Just a thought.
Another idea would be to get one of those thick, heavy rubber floor mats, like they use in commercial kitchens, and places where people have to stand for long periods of time, and cut it into strips that you can just lay down on the driveway. You could stack the strips until you achieve the desired height.

#1,322 ·
I'm gonna see what happens when I get the one in the 1st link in. Bolting down is not an issue... this landlord DGAF as long as I pay on time and keep the place up. I added a huge ass chicken coop to the back that is mostly freestanding but attached to the house with like 10 1/2" bolts and he's like "oh wow that'll be a great plus to renting for the next tenant" lmao. I put a few holes in the driveway and then fill them with contractor grade adhesive he isn't going to give a ****.

#1,324 ·
Lol where I live its very very rural. We have a dude herd like... has to be 200 or 300 sheep down the street every other night along with the guard donkeys and the dogs. There is a vacant lot next door and there will randomly be a horse in it sometimes lol. You get a lot of house for them money tho and the garage I have here is fukhueg.

#1,326 ·
You'll see random farm animals here too. Lots of ppl ride horses here too, its not uncommon from right about now when it starts getting real nice out till after their "labor day" to see horses pulling families in carts, ppl done up in riding gear with the horses done up too going down the street, ppl sitting at curbside tables having lunch and a beer with the horse just standing next to the table lol. Just took my daughter for a lesson yesterday near Jerez, its awesome there. That's something else we are thinking of, getting a horse and boarding it there. They are cheap here and this is one of the most known areas in the world for horses, breeding and dressage.

#1,327 ·
JBA titanium coated stainless shorties are on the way. Garage is about to be cleaned out... this house has been a project... but I'd rather fix it up for the landlord and pay 1800 euros a month than 2200... especially when I'm gonna be here 4 more years. I would have liked to go longtubes but with the ground clearance issues plus emissions and my UPR/VRS mid pipe already being catted and setup for my wideband... JBA shorties were the best option over the stock logs. They do pickup power especially on the high revving 4V. But its all the way up in the 4500+ RPM band which is fine since I blow the tread off the shitty Riken tires I have right now anyway lol. I'll have to order some Mickey Thompson Street Comps here soon.

#1,328 ·
Hopefully you have better luck with the MT Street Comps. I think they suck. They are worse compared to the BFG g-force comp 2 all seasons I previously had. I'm not sure what I'm going to go with next. I'll really need new tires by summer, but I may wait until next winter and hope for a sale. Glad you got your shorties on the way.

#1,329 ·
Oof well probably NT05s then and get new tires every year lol. I am squared 18x9 so I can rotate.

#1,330 ·
In other news, paintjobs are retarded cheap around here. Full dent removal, prep and repaint was 800 euros for my DD. That's between $1k and $1200 depending on the exchange rate. And it's legit high quality. Not sure why paintjobs in the states cost so damn much...

Thinking of getting a Saleen kit on order and having a smallish color change done. Like silver with blue flake... Will cost less than the DD because no dents. The white car was sideswiped pretty good lol. You'd never know.

Attachments

#1,331 ·
JBA headers came in today. Wow that was fast... must have just got lucky and got them on the first transport over here... great quality, nice welds, titanium ceramic. I have no idea why the 96/97 headers are $400 cheaper with the SAI ports... like its $2 to cap them...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.