Port/Polish PI Heads + Cams? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-03-2015, 10:55 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Port/Polish PI Heads + Cams?

I'm making a blue print for winter, that being said: I'd like to do a 3 way port on my PI heads with either a comp 270 or a hitech stage 2 cam, with all new valves, springs, retainers, all that. Any suggestions? What would those be capable of or what would I see in the end result? I couldn't find any forums on porting and polishing the pi heads, if you know of any I would love to read them.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
99 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2015, 10:57 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
For a comp 270 it will be extremely tight. You will either need to degree them a good amount, or get valve reliefs on the pistons....

A fully bolt on 2v with P&P heads with a comp 270 should be able to make around 320, 330 tops.

Now with those cams you will be able to spin a bit higher, i'm not sure exactly how high they make power, but you may benefit from a better intake manifold at that point, such as the Eddy Victor Jr.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:59 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
For a comp 270 it will be extremely tight. You will either need to degree them a good amount, or get valve reliefs on the pistons....

A fully bolt on 2v with P&P heads with a comp 270 should be able to make around 320, 330 tops.

Now is that wheel hp or crank? And would it be safer just to go with the stage 2 then? I want to boost it also should've mentioned that. But... Does cams really have anything to do with boost?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2015, 11:51 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Port/Polish PI Heads + Cams?

That's to the wheels. If you don't want to risk PTV issues then go with a Comp 268. If you supercharge it, it isn't too particular of cams. But with a turbo you don't want NA cams, the overlap hurts the boost.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

HID end all thread
Old 05-04-2015, 12:01 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
That's to the wheels. If you don't want to risk PTV issues then go with a Comp 268. If you supercharge it, it isn't too particular of cams. But with a turbo you don't want NA cams, the overlap hurts the boost.

What are some good cams for a turbo then? I never really thought that camming would do anything to a turbo just thought building the bottom end with forged internals and etc for that.

Old 05-04-2015, 02:20 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Turbo cams. Get in touch with CMS for a good cam. That said, if you don't have a built motor you are completely wasting your money. Stock PI heads/cams/intake will grenade a stock bottom end with a basic starter blower. Put the money into a good supercharger setup and a tune and suspension vs wasting the money on cams.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:12 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Turbo cams. Get in touch with CMS for a good cam. That said, if you don't have a built motor you are completely wasting your money. Stock PI heads/cams/intake will grenade a stock bottom end with a basic starter blower. Put the money into a good supercharger setup and a tune and suspension vs wasting the money on cams.

It wouldn't be a stock bottom end though, it would be forged. But not tell winter. And I rather go turbo over supercharger.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:46 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Turbo is more $$$, more complex to install, harder to tune. But if you want one by all means go for it. If you are looking at the On3 kits, be aware that you have to buy a bunch of extra stuff besides the $2000 price as well as the full UPR front K member setup. Not trying to discourage you, just making sure you are fully aware of all that is needed. Budget $5k or so for the turbo, all associated parts and the tune to get it going not including the labor to install it if you are not DIY.

I won't post what I just paid $5500 for...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:54 PM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

The k member is if you get the forward facing kit

HID end all thread
Old 05-04-2015, 09:55 PM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I won't post what I just paid $5500 for...

Do it

HID end all thread
Old 05-04-2015, 11:28 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I'm well aware of what it costs but I'm still in the process of making the blue print, it could still change. Maybe I'll go supercharged and maybe I'll stay wanting to go the turbo'd way. But let's say I did go the supercharged way (which I really know nothing about because all I've studied is about turbo's) would I have to rethink my build?

Old 05-05-2015, 06:16 AM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Not really... a centrifugal supercharger is basically a belt driven turbo. There are also "positive displacement" blowers which are the roots/twin screw ones. Those are the ones on the Terminator Cobras/GT500s and most of the OEM supercharged applications. There is a difference between turbo and supercharger cams tho.

Simplest thing to do honestly is to do all your basic bolt ons (exhaust, suspension, tires, shifter etc...) and then put a Vortech S trim on. The car will be 400ish rwhp and you can enjoy that while you continue to build the car up and do a built motor on a stand on the side.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:09 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm. Maybe I will go that route. I'll definitely check into it.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:16 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Turbos make more power and more tq than a blower hands down! I watched a local shop Dyno a on3 kit 6 psi that bone stock car made 392hp and 402tq and that kit will make 10psi with that waste gate! I have nothing against a blower car but on a built motor yes stock turbo all day and that's based on a speed shop that does a lot of mustangs! Put a blower mustang and a turbo same cars same mods run them turbo will pull away and keep going! Super charged horse power is made as rpms continue to climb as a turbo boost comes on sooner and stays on thru out.

bwright1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:19 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

On the website for on3 90# injectors upr k frame turbo with forward facing headers blow thru mass air meter upgraded turbo and a 320 lph fuel pump comes in at 3800.00 bucks just figure 5 grand put on and tuned driving away. At least Carolina Dyno here does it for that all day long. Just throwing that out there

Old 05-05-2015, 08:21 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

And with a turbo as you build your motor your cams aren't wild at all car keeps all drivability all it needs is exhaust!!! Turbo grind cams let it breath and watch it go! I almost pulled the trigger on the super charger route till I watched on 5 speed and two autos roll thru them with the on3 kit and turbos where it's at! Just my two cents

Old 05-06-2015, 01:17 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Now should I build the motor first then slap a turbo/supercharger on or turbo/supercharger first then build

Old 05-06-2015, 02:55 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Man Iam in the same boat what to do first. Iam doing turbo first then all the other stuff to support the new horse power then a motor that way I already have the power adder add the new motor and make the power you want! But like many have said the motors just a drop in the bucket it's all the other stuff that adds up to the big numbers! But I love this body style car!

Old 05-06-2015, 03:16 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

This is the first car that I am actually "modifying". That's why I'm debating on supercharger or turbo. I came from owning an import, (eclipse gst with evo turbo) and let me tell you I will probably not go back lol.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:57 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I've had a bunch of mustangs they the years the old fox bodies where a lot cheaper to make fly these mod motors are expensive! Forged bottom good heads and a turbo is about 15 grand that's not talking about all the other stuff to make it run! I made up my mind today Iam going turbo first and build an engine little at a time an on three at 6 psi stock car will be all over 400 hp at the wheels and as you know turbo power is good power! I have nothing against a blower I've never had one but from what I've seen at the local speed shop turbos kick a blowers ***! Look at it this way on the forums have you seen anyone selling a turbo kit???? How many super chargers have you seen for sell?? Me this week three different blowers up for sell! Turbos where it's at! It's more involved to install but once it's in sky's the limit

Old 05-06-2015, 09:01 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I'm gonna probably start piecing a kit together here soon.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:13 PM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

I see blowers for sale all the time on the Corral. Lots more secondhand blowers than turbos because blowers are easier and cheaper and more ppl have them. Turbo kits are routinely for sale on there too, just not as many because not as many ppl have them.

Just be aware, a turbo automatic will be a monster at the 1/4 but will get its butthole pushed in by a supercharged stick car around a road course.

As far as piecing a kit together... you could always do what I did and buy a mint condition low mileage whole car with a really really good blower kit already on it for $5500 haha. Just needs a fresh stock motor and a tune to 425whp.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:20 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I could also do that too. But from where I am there's not to many clean mustangs. They either run and the body is all rusted, or the body is perfect but they don't run.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT