Which is the better buy? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-04-2015, 10:37 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Which is the better buy?

I am currently looking at a procharged Mustang gt. It looks new inside and out. Makes 370 rwhp with dyno sheets and receipts for installation.

On the other hand, I have also found a 2001 cobra for right around the same price. The outside is in good condition but the interior could use some work, about a 7.5/10.

They both were garage kept. Both are manual. I know the procharged is starting out with like 100 hp advantage but I also plan on building up the cobra eventually also
bkh1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2015, 10:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
What years the gt? And details such as mileage, condition, etc of each case would play a big part in making an informed decision.

Although initial thoughts if your wanting a dd I would take the cobra as your less likely to have issues but It's a weekend toy the s/c GT would be fun. Just be prepared that things may go wrong as it's more likely to have issues when modding a car that much

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:54 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
The gt is a 2001. For the gt, besides the p1sc, it has 39# cobra injectors, upgraded surge valve, 70mm throttle body, drilled and slotted rotors, shocks and struts, maf, ngk tr6, and exedy stage 2 clutch.

The cobra is mostly stock. Camber plates, x pipe, magnaflows, traxis short throw shifter.

Exterior wise, they are about even. On the inside the gt looks new. But the cobra has some worn seats, otherwise the cobra has decent interior also.

It will be a daily

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
bkh1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2015, 12:29 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
What about mileage on the cars, and any idea of the basic maintenance? I would lean more towards the cobra myself for a daily since it Sounds like It's not heavily modified. But if the GT was done right it could be great Also. I would say drive both, check both over thoroughly and Maybe take it to a mechanic and have them checked over?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:24 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I would get the cobra personally. Better block and internals.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:43 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I personally wouldn't DD either of those, but look for a stockish 02-04 GT and build it yourself

Old 05-05-2015, 06:39 AM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
What years the gt? And details such as mileage, condition, etc of each case would play a big part in making an informed decision.

Although initial thoughts if your wanting a dd I would take the cobra as your less likely to have issues but It's a weekend toy the s/c GT would be fun. Just be prepared that things may go wrong as it's more likely to have issues when modding a car that much

Please explain, the 2V engine is just as reliable as the 4V engine that year, those cars have the same transmissions and a lot of ppl will argue that the stick axle in the GT is preferable to the IRS in the Cobra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitMuscle99 View Post
I would get the cobra personally. Better block and internals.
Nope. Lighter block and forged crank. Irrelevant as the stock rods are the same and will let go at the exact same level. Same pistons too. Either motor needs built before it can do much more than 425hp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHJA614 View Post
I personally wouldn't DD either of those, but look for a stockish 02-04 GT and build it yourself

Maybe... depends on what sort of condition the Cobra is in. I would not buy a supercharged 2V that someone I did not know had for a daily driver. Best bet is definitely a very clean stock or light bolt on GT or Cobra.

I'd have to see pics of both, would be VERY wary of the procharged car though and if the OP is not familiar with supercharging and how to do a lot of his own work I'd def steer clear.

Just the fact that it has the #39 Cobra injectors tells me that the owner either doesn't know what he is doing or the shop that built it does not. Cobra injectors have a split spray pattern for DOHC heads, they are not good for a SOHC application.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:44 AM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
I'd get the cobra, but that's just me.

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:03 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I agree, go for the cobra. There are a lot of mods that I have no problem with others having done them prior to me buying the car. FI is NOT one of them. It is very easy to cheap out on one thing so you can afford something else and say "I'll do it right later" and completely forget about it.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
CandymanGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:56 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Which is the better buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Please explain, the 2V engine is just as reliable as the 4V engine that year, those cars have the same transmissions and a lot of ppl will argue that the stick axle in the GT is preferable to the IRS in the Cobra.

Nope. Lighter block and forged crank. Irrelevant as the stock rods are the same and will let go at the exact same level. Same pistons too. Either motor needs built before it can do much more than 425hp.

Maybe... depends on what sort of condition the Cobra is in. I would not buy a supercharged 2V that someone I did not know had for a daily driver. Best bet is definitely a very clean stock or light bolt on GT or Cobra.

I'd have to see pics of both, would be VERY wary of the procharged car though and if the OP is not familiar with supercharging and how to do a lot of his own work I'd def steer clear.

Just the fact that it has the #39 Cobra injectors tells me that the owner either doesn't know what he is doing or the shop that built it does not. Cobra injectors have a split spray pattern for DOHC heads, they are not good for a SOHC application.

I wasn't comparing the 2 engines I was comparing the 2 cars. I know the 2 and 4 valves are good motors I was simple saying I wouldn't buy the gt because of the mods. Similarly to what you said with excessive mods like that (if not done right) could lead to reliability issues. And unless he knew who built it I would steer clear for a DD. I would take a stock gt over a supercharged cobra as well taking the same factors into consideration

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT