Vibration!!!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-06-2015, 04:37 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Vibration!!!!

Hello.. This is my first post as I am new to this forum and to driving an 01 mustang gt convertible
I adore the vehicle.. Its exterior looks great.. And it runs really well.. It shifts exceptionally well including at wot.. It's an automatic and I've owned automatics with much higher hp ratings but this is the only one that squats to the side and chirps loudly ..more or less squeals..on wot 1-2 shifts
I've always heard mustangs to be slow and I know the motor isn't rated for much but I've had 2 crown Victoria's and one of them was pretty damn fast when I got it. The other was a turd.. And this thing feels pretty powerful compared to my expectations ..it is quite the fun vehicle
Anyway.. My problem..
So at low speeds the vehicle feels totally normal.. No noise from the rear at all it doesn't clunk from the ujoint going into r or d. At or around 58-60 I you begin to slightly feel it.. At 68-70 it becomes very apparent. And it's an odd vibration that makes me thing drivetrain because it is hardly noticeable most times when I'm pressing the gas but as soon as I let off it comes on..it's a rotational sound like ..vrr..vrr..vrr ..vrr..vrr
And as I slow it disappears..
Had it in the shop a few days ago for some exhaust work and the tech ended up being An old buddy of mine so he was looking around pointing things out and he noticed my right front wheel was pretty bent. To the point in spins out of round when spinning by hand. And as I've looked at all of them they all 4 have at least a little bend in the lip.
And he yanked on my driveshaft and there was no play.
Brand new tires
Now I'm curious
How come I don't seem to feel such a bent wheel when going 40?
If it was in the diff wouldn't I notice anything below said speeds? I've never experienced a bad rear wheel bearing .. Or axle bearing..
I hope to hear from you all soon and I'm eager to meet you. I follow all the forums on every vehicle I get.
I've got the mustang .. An 07 impala SS with a 5.3 liter ls4 and a 2000 silverado 1500 ext cab 5.3 rwd with low miles In mint condition, inside and out.
I'm 24 and have two children and currently and working in the world of carpentry, building barns.. Have spent a little time in the automotive industry and am considering re-entering.
Thanks for reading
Chrishart749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2015, 07:53 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Welcome to the forum. Firstly I would get those wheels taken care of, or swap out another set of wheels and tires temporarily just to see if it goes away. Process of elimination. If it still does it then you can rule those out. How many miles are on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 05-07-2015, 03:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I'm going to take a full size spare I still have from one of the crown Victoria's and swap it on there one wheel at a time to see if I notice any change at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2015, 08:27 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Yeah i would say if you have bent rims that is the likely culprit. Just fyi, you can get a pretty nice set of rims from American Muscle or Latemodel for pretty cheap and good tires from a ton of places.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:52 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Agreed with Scotty. I got these bullitts from late model for 140$ a piece. Can't beat thatClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1431096715.278827.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	182145

GHO5T5NIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 02:44 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Checkout OE wheels. Basically the same styles, from AM and LMR. Great prices, probably from the same factory as the other sites. I got mine thru them 3 years ago and no issues. Think It's about 80-90 for a 17x8,9,10 bullit wheel from them.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:54 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Other than a true mechanical issue, the tires have to be "road force balanced" to help eliminate guessing.
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:57 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks so much for all your replies
Found the cause
Youd never guess!
The plate on the back of the brake pad came loose .. And was hanging down grinding a ring around the wheel hub. No damage ripped it off without even touching the calipers and it is gone
Never felt so smooth since I got it. A mountain of stress fixed for free!
I did find the aftermarket tie rod end had blown the boot. Moog...not a big deal in the least around here.
Thanks guys.
Still getting new wheels even though you can't feel the damn thing at all
Old 05-28-2015, 03:18 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Damnit

So I thought the vibration was gone.. Guess I tricked myself
It's there and maybe even worse
It's in 3rd and 4th and continues without change if you slip it into neutral so as far as I'm concerned that's pointing at .. Not the trans..
To the rear or wheels or hubs.. Not a lot of experience with rear hubs.. Any input there? I do have aftermarket gears .. I'd guess 4.11 because at 70 mph in 4th(overdrive) I ride a consistent 2700 rpms.. With stock driveshaft
Ujoints are brand new
I took the cover off the rear this weekend and it looks good in there
What are my possible causes?
Old 05-29-2015, 02:17 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
The driveshaft may be out of balance after servicing your ujoints. A driveline shop would be able to put it on a balancer to see if it is.

Yellastang03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:00 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I 100% guarantee you its the wheel.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:38 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Yea sorry I guess I didn't read it clear enough. If you haven't ruled out the bent rim already that's where you should look first. I noticed you said it had new tires. Did you buy them? If so whoever balanced those tires would have known the rim(s) are bent and wouldn't have realistically been able to balance them without a ridiculous amount of weight.

Yellastang03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT