lock problem and window replacement question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-11-2015, 05:55 PM   #1

Region: Michigan
lock problem and window replacement question

My key wont turn in my doors key hole! Had nothing at all to try and get the car unlocked so resulted in breaking the door glass.
When I hit the powered lock button it takes 3 presses for the lock to totally go down. why is this happening..............

door glass is broken and will need to be replaced. Do I need any specialty tools to remove the glass. a drill maybe. how is the glass held in.
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2015, 07:52 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
You are going to regret breaking that glass, instead of paying someone to come out and get into your car for you...
Sometimes, when the lock solenoid wears out, it can make it extremely difficult to unlock the door with the key.
You'll figure out what the problem is when you have it apart to repair the glass.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
You are going to regret breaking that glass, instead of paying someone to come out and get into your car for you...
why
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2015, 05:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
It would have been cheaper for a locksmith to unlock your door instead of breaking the glass.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:51 PM   #5

wasn't an option at the time. I know the glass is on a slider that raises and lowers the window. how is the window held on is it a rivet or glued in place. want to find out so I can get a drill if I have to
Old 05-12-2015, 08:32 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

My 96 had the same issue with the switches acting up. Installed new lock switches and solved the problem. Now I was in the same boat as you. I had to unlock it with my key. Well the door lock was wearing out and acting up. Instead of fixing it I went and paid like $250 bucks to have keyless remote installed. It opens the trunk too so it was worth it for me. Plus I won't wear out the door locks any longer. Sucks about the window can't help you there. Haven't done one myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
aero86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:42 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yes. You will need a drill to remove two glass mounting rivets.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aero86 View Post
My 96 had the same issue with the switches acting up. Installed new lock switches and solved the problem. Now I was in the same boat as you. I had to unlock it with my key. Well the door lock was wearing out and acting up. Instead of fixing it I went and paid like $250 bucks to have keyless remote installed. It opens the trunk too so it was worth it for me. Plus I won't wear out the door locks any longer. Sucks about the window can't help you there. Haven't done one myself.

$250 hope that came with remote start. you can actually buy keyless remotes and program them yourself for our cars. I need to get one
Mustang Keyless Entry Remote Fob (99-14 All) - Free Shipping
Old 05-13-2015, 05:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Yes. You will need a drill to remove two glass mounting rivets.
figured that. do you know how I am supposed to get the new window to hold in place securely
Old 05-13-2015, 11:55 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

The installation is the reverse of the removal. You will need a rivet gun to securely rivet the window back into place.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:34 PM   #11

and that is why I asked so now gotta pick up a rivet gun any idea of size
Old 05-13-2015, 06:43 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not sure what size that the rivet is. You will probably have to remove the door panel and try to determine which size rivet that you will need, and then get the appropriate sized gun.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:54 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

If you're talking about pop rivets then you just buy the one gun and it has different size tips for different size rivets. Then all you need to figure out is what size rivets you need.

aero86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:13 PM   #14
WJL
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
The rivets are large IIRC they are like 1/4" Dia. or bigger. I think i used a 1/4" drill bit to drill them out

I have used nuts and bolts but you have to make sure to use lock washers and the length of the bolt is critical so that it don't interfere with anything else inside the door
(goes up & Down with out rubbing)

good luck
WJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 05:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJL View Post
The rivets are large IIRC they are like 1/4" Dia. or bigger. I think i used a 1/4" drill bit to drill them out

I have used nuts and bolts but you have to make sure to use lock washers and the length of the bolt is critical so that it don't interfere with anything else inside the door
(goes up & Down with out rubbing)

good luck

Thank You. Do you remember what size bolt washer and nuts that you used so I can take out the guessing lol would probably be more ideal then buying a rivet gun
Old 05-14-2015, 04:44 PM   #16
WJL
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I think i used 1/4" x 3/4" or 1" and now that i think about it i used nylock nuts and not lock washers.

I don't know what your experience is but just in case nylock nut are nuts that have a nylon end on it that keeps it from vibrating off.

you will have to move the window track to get at the rivets to drill them out.

Its really not that difficult, remove the door skin, drill rivets out install new glass bolt up and put the skin back on shouldn't take more than an hour or so

Check youtube someone probably has a video.
WJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:02 PM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
So let me get this straight... BOTH your door locks failed at the exact same time and the trunk too? Seeing as there are pull tabs for the folding seats in the trunk...

This isn't suspicious as hell or anything...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 09:29 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
So let me get this straight... BOTH your door locks failed at the exact same time and the trunk too? Seeing as there are pull tabs for the folding seats in the trunk...

This isn't suspicious as hell or anything...
I only have a driver side key hole. My passenger side door doesn't.. and as for the trunk.. maybe if there was some small people around I could have thrown one in the trunk to climb thru.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT