Set Idle Screw / Idle problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-12-2015, 08:08 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Set Idle Screw / Idle problem

Last week I was having an idle issue, before eventually replacing the IAC my buddy was messing with the idle screw on the TB..well long story short after replacing the IAC I had to try my best to get that idle screw back to the exact same stock position, I did the best I could, car idles around 800 rpm. Now the problem I'm having is the idle is like consistently 800 rpm, whether its cold or warm, the car always idles at 800, my car has ALWAYS idled around 1000-1100 when cold and drops down in the matter of minutes, its just a bit odd too me..by messing with that idle screw did I somehow bypass the PCM from controlling my idle? Is there a reset idle procedure i should have went through after all of this? Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2015, 08:35 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
PaladinMicro

you will probably need to pull the negative off the battery for 10 minutes, then start the car again, and let it idle until warm and go for a drive.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Is there a proper way to make sure that idle screw is set in the correct position? Or will the PCM adjust the idle accordingly after the idle re learn procedure?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2015, 12:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Hmmm where's Scotty lol

Old 05-12-2015, 03:57 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

A buddy told me to try this. Unplug IAC, start motor, adjust idle screw so motor barely runs 400-500 rpm, turn motor off, plug back in IAC, start motor. Anybody hear of this procedure?

Old 05-12-2015, 10:54 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8pony View Post
Is there a proper way to make sure that idle screw is set in the correct position? Or will the PCM adjust the idle accordingly after the idle re learn procedure?

Yes!
Fenix provided a link to PaladinMicro in his post that leads you to the VERY BEST 96-04 Mustang information that can be found on the internet. Period.
There are detailed instructions on how to properly adjust a Throttle Body on that website. As well as a TON of other useful information!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:27 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Yes!
Fenix provided a link to PaladinMicro in his post that leads you to the VERY BEST 96-04 Mustang information that can be found on the internet. Period.
There are detailed instructions on how to properly adjust a Throttle Body on that website. As well as a TON of other useful information!
I adjusted the TB last night and went through the idle re learn process, idles great now....funny I've been on cliffys site dozens of times and I completely forgot he had the TB adjustment in full detail on there lol..thanks guys!

Old 05-14-2015, 08:50 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Hey, sorry to just abandon you. but glad you got it worked out. Between work, then being out of town, and juggling a puppy in the middle of it all, I havent been on here as much as i usually like.

As far as the idle screw goes, I noticed that when mine is too low and closed too much, when i press the pedal, i feel like im scraping the valve off of the surface everytime i hit the gas, meaning that i try to lightly tap the gas, but it requires a bit of pressure to break free, and when it does, i end up revving too high. With the idle screw pushing a tad on it, it fixed that issue, and the computer relearns what is "Normal", and calibrates itself accordingly with the gas flow. as for your tps sensor ( i know you didnt ask, but figured i would throw this in there) it re zeroes every time you start the car, so there is no adjustment required on those.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:07 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Ahh the joys of EFI.

I set my idle the other day. Took me 2 seconds with no tools, no BS involved. Love carbs
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT