03 GT Spark Plug blew out - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-15-2015, 06:11 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
03 GT Spark Plug blew out

Recently did a tune up using oem motorcraft plugs and i torqued down to 14. Well earlier today i went to pass someone and the passenger side plug blew out and broke the coil pretty much.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2015, 07:04 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
I usually set mine to 16lbs. These heads are very notorious for spitting out plugs if its one or two pounds off..... Most likely doesn't matter but what gap was it at?

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:01 PM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
14 shouldn't cause a blowout. It could be because the previous owner gorilla'd them in though...

Going to have to timesert the head, hopefully its one of the easy ones to get at...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2015, 08:40 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
They sell plug extensions for the 03. The stupid 3 threaded heads
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:42 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

They extend the amount of threads in the head and are almost seamless once installed. Bought pi heads to swap a 97 gt and they were 03 heads. Previous owner had the plug make a mess when it blew.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Did the 04 have 8 threads? I gapped to oem specs, 0.54. TQ to 14. Previous owner did blew a spark plug before we took ownership and had a timesert put in. The one I blew out today was on the Passenger side 3rd firing order.

Shouldn't be to bad to timesert the head, new coil and plug. Should be good to go. Anything else recommended?
Old 05-15-2015, 08:46 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSlashDashX View Post
Did the 04 have 8 threads? I gapped to oem specs, 0.54. TQ to 14. Previous owner did blew a spark plug before we took ownership and had a timesert put in. The one I blew out today was on the Passenger side 3rd firing order.

Shouldn't be to bad to timesert the head, new coil and plug. Should be good to go. Anything else recommended?
This means that at some point an idiot owner or idiot mechanic did not properly torque them. They're all probably in need of timeserts TBTH... They will not strip or blow out on a NA motor if they are torqued correctly at all times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSlashDashX View Post

04+ had 8 thread plugs but if someone is going 1/4 turn after finger tight that won't matter.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:48 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Yeah, 04's were 8 thread. Make sure nothing fell down in the head. Other than that, new motocraft plug. Sorry to hear about it blowing out brother. That stinks.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:19 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, this car is bone stock. Down to the exhaust and air filter. No mods. Just tune ups and drive.

I can't remember which side the plug I pulled it from but I remember seeing all 7 motorcraft plugs and 1 autolite plug before I did the tune up.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:28 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Then it's time to mod lol. I'm playing bro! Enjoy that pony. Look into plug extensions if you're got the cash. They are expensive but make work like a charm
Old 05-15-2015, 09:35 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

If it was my car, I've would've done started to mod it lol. It's my GF car. Only thing I've done to it was Shorty Antenna, Pioneer Speakers and Pioneer Head Unit. She won't let me touch anything else. Lol.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:41 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Oh bahahahha! Well, tell her to keep her foot out of the floor and keep the plugs in it. Tell her if she blows another plug, she has to buy a tuner.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:51 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

WELL, I blew the plug so..... lol.
It was going great. I had the plugs changed for a week or so now and I've passed a few cars due to them driving to slow. Well I guess today was my lucky day to pass someone and blow a plug at the same time.

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

WELL, I blew the plug so..... lol.
It was going great. I had the plugs changed for a week or so now and I've passed a few cars due to them driving to slow. Well I guess today was my lucky day to pass someone and blow a plug at the same time.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:53 AM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Lololol. So you got in trouble
Old 06-07-2015, 04:22 PM   #15

Region: Kentucky
I have had my 04 for a week now and blew out two on the passenger side. I have been a chevy guy since birth and still have my 69 chevelle that i restored from ground up, my first car, it has a 383 with eddlebrock pro flow fuel injection. I wanted something different and really like the sound and the looks of the pony cars not to mention i have been passed a few times and the ole drag strip,lol. i have been doing some home work and found a dorman repair kit got them on the way anyone out there heard of anyone using these?
btaylor65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:28 PM   #16

It did take the threads with the plugs and destroyed the coil packs,just and old chevy guy trying to learn a few pony tricks?
Old 06-07-2015, 05:25 PM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

Look up Timeserts.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 06-07-2015, 05:37 PM   #18

i have and was just wanting a quick fix for now would like to enjoy the lil pony before winter gonna replace the heads and cams when the snow starts flying lol
Old 06-07-2015, 06:47 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Timeserts. And blowing out the 04 plugs means that someone before you was a dip**** with the plug install since the 04 heads have 8 threads for the plugs. They do not blow out unless someone gorillas the plugs in during a change. You need a torque wrench when doing plugs on a 4.6L. Repeat... YOU NEED A TORQUE WRENCH WHEN DOING PLUGS ON A MODULAR.

12-15 ft lbs is the spec, this is only a scoshe more than finger tight really. People doing 1/8 of a turn are taking it to 20+, people doing 1/4 turn are putting damn near 50ft lbs on the plugs. VERY BAD.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:50 PM   #20
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
I'm surprised I grounded 2 plugs and still haven't blown any out lol
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1433720993.805490.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	184333

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:15 PM   #21

I am gonna go with the dorman repair kit for now. should be here wed. have not found anyone who has used them as of yet, i will keep me fingers crossed and i went and bought me a real good. aka. best tork wrench napa had. will preset to 14lbs. not even had the lil pony for two weeks yet? when i test drove it i was impressed and thought i got me a great deal? it is the 40th anniversary gt premium, thx for the info.i have learned much so far.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT