Why won't my Maximum Motorsports firewall adjuster fit? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-30-2015, 07:23 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

I took my transmission off twice trying to get rid of the vibrating fork with no luck so I hear you.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
aero86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2015, 07:42 PM   #37
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Might be something internal to the trans...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:37 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Might be something internal to the trans...

The thing is it never did this until after I put the exedy clutch kit in.. Idk wether I got a lemon or what. Pressure plate fingers may be bent but I just can't physically see it? No clue

GHO5T5NIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2015, 11:23 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aero86 View Post
I took my transmission off twice trying to get rid of the vibrating fork with no luck so I hear you.

I know man you can sit under it and watch the fork vibrate and the smooth out once someone pushes the clutch in. I'm honestly thinking about throw my stock clutch and pressure plate back in. Or ordering the same oem one. Idk I'm beat

Old 05-31-2015, 01:50 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I went through the same thing on my 96 gt. Best advice I can give is to pull on the cable with your left hand and turn the adjuster until there is about a dime width gap between adjuster and cable assembly. Than just go and drive your car for a while. You may have to adjust it again that's ok. I had to re adjust mine like three times and I can say after about 4k miles the vibrating is pretty much gone. Than again I don't usually leave my foot on the clutch while I drive.

I would normally just deal with it and hope it went away but the thing is I can't. If I rev past like 4k rpms the fork slides off the pivot ball and the pedal vibrates like crazy. So loud that even with music on you can hear it

Old 05-31-2015, 05:21 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Is your cover missing? You might not have it tight enough either.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:32 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Why won't my Maximum Motorsports firewall adjuster fit?

Quote:
Is your cover missing? You might not have it tight enough either.

Cover? Like the dust cover? And I torqued to exedys torque specs

Old 05-31-2015, 07:35 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

If I tighten the adjuster up to where there is no slack, the vibration is gone put you can feel almost the same unsmooth feeling I was feeling before in the pedal

Old 05-31-2015, 11:27 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Yes dust cover. Well what worked for me was adjusting it until the vibrating was gone with the car in neutral and idling. That meant tightening and having the bearing spinning at all the time but not super tight either. I will admit at first I would feel some vibration around the 2k rpm range but all that's gone now. I played with the adjuster for days and this is the adjustment that worked for me.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:38 PM   #45
Staff
Regular
Staff

You want the TOB to be riding on the clutch fingers at all times with a preload on the cable. If you had it adjusted so the TOB was not spinning... that might be your entire problem there.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:09 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You want the TOB to be riding on the clutch fingers at all times with a preload on the cable. If you had it adjusted so the TOB was not spinning... that might be your entire problem there.

No I had the throwout bearing adjusted to wear it has been spinning. I've been reading some of the threads on here and I agree with you on the fact the tob needs to rest against the pressure plate fingers and not have free play like a lot of people think. Doesn't make sense to go from 0rpm to 5000rpm in a split second like you've said.

On a side note I think I know where I'm going to look next. I'm thinking the flywheel has been improperly machined. Having a wave in it I'm thinking is causing the pressure plate fingers to be non uniform which explains why I'm getting the vibration in the first couple inches of the clutch. This also explains why some people on here that have the same problem say it gets better over time. Guessing the flywheel smooths out and the vibration gets better. I'm also still getting friction noise when the clutch engages. Coming up on 400 miles you'd think it would be silent or ateast getting better by now. This also makes me think the flywheel has a rough textured surface or is not smooth alltogether too. It has GOT to be either the flywheel or the pressure plate fingers bent from the factory. I'm leaning more toward the flywheel personally.

Old 06-01-2015, 04:57 PM   #47
Staff
Regular
Staff

Buy a new flywheel. I never use resurfaced ones. Any improper machining and the whole thing has to come out again and more parts replaced.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 06-01-2015, 05:53 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Buy a new flywheel. I never use resurfaced ones. Any improper machining and the whole thing has to come out again and more parts replaced.

What flywheel so you suggest?

Old 06-01-2015, 06:11 PM   #49
Staff
Regular
Staff

Iron is fine. I got one new to my door for $175 from Texas Trans parts for an 11" 6 bolt.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:01 PM   #50
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
You got the 3650 sleeve? Everything I was seeing is that the 3650 one is non-available or only on a new trans which I did find hard to believe because then where do the rebuilders get them?

I found a bunch of T-45 stuff tho lol.

This was the reason I got a brand new TR3650 on warranty claim. That part wasn't available.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:04 PM   #51
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHO5T5NIPER View Post
Went ahead and ordered everything from local ford dealer simply for the fact it would be here tomorrow and I can work on it this weekend. Also, tousley's site says you have to call them to see if they have everything in stock and their number was disconnected. I got the clutch fork, pivot ball, oem tob, tob retainer, and new flywheel and pressure plate bolts.. 330$ later... If this doesn't fix my issue I quit at life

Tousley Ford changed names to AutoNation Ford - White Bear Lake.

http://www.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com

Old 06-02-2015, 07:08 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
This was the reason I got a brand new TR3650 on warranty claim. That part wasn't available.

My sleeve looks like it is perfectly fine but I guess that will be the next thing to look at if the flywheel isn't to blame and would require a new transmission from the looks of it for the sleeve :/

Old 06-02-2015, 07:08 PM   #53
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!! Stayed up till 4:30am installing everything I bought today, oem clutch fork, oem throwout bearing, oem pivot ball. SAME ****

So now I have installed:
exedy mach 400 clutch kit
Maximum motorports adjuster/ cable kit
Oem throwout bearing
Clutch fork
Pivot ball
Resurfaced flywheel

What the hell else could it be?!?!? I'm beyond fed up with this. Ughhhhhhhh

Maybe you're flywheel needs to be replaced. Maybe the resurface job didn't go right.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:40 PM   #54
Staff
Regular
Staff

Screw it just go auto and a built motor. Kickdown when you floor it on the highway with a high power motor is godlike.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:42 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Maybe you're flywheel needs to be replaced. Maybe the resurface job didn't go right.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking.... Got it done for free by a machine shop because my girlfriends dad was good friends with the guy.... Guess that's what I get... Browsing around trying to find a good flywheel

Old 06-02-2015, 07:46 PM   #56
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Yeah that's what I'm thinking.... Got it done for free by a machine shop because my girlfriends dad was good friends with the guy.... Guess that's what I get... Browsing around trying to find a good flywheel

Are you 6 bolt or 8 bolt I forget... 6 bolt I can get you in touch with a place that'll get you an OEM spec iron one to your door for $175 or $185... I forget what I paid.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:47 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Are you 6 bolt or 8 bolt I forget... 6 bolt I can get you in touch with a place that'll get you an OEM spec iron one to your door for $175 or $185... I forget what I paid.

I'm 6 bolt. That would be great!

Old 06-04-2015, 12:23 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

So, i havent checked the flywheel yet but i checked the pressure plate figners. If you hold thr throwout bearing against them, ( i also used a another flat piece of metal) you can see that the fingers dont all impact evenely. There are 3 fingers right next to one another that have gap. Im not sure if a improper machined flywheel would cause the pressure plate fingers to have gap or not. Gonna check the flywheel tomorrow

Old 06-04-2015, 10:03 AM   #59
Staff
Regular
Staff

Hmmm... Something went wrong with the install or the clutch was defective or the flywheel or all 3. I doubt it was the clutch, if you had someone do a quickie cheap resurface that's where I would bet the issue was.

IIRC I saw you post a thread about this on the Corral too. If you want to get one of those flywheels send a PM to Texastransparts on that forum, he sells them. Thing shipped to me in about 3 business days.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:42 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hmmm... Something went wrong with the install or the clutch was defective or the flywheel or all 3. I doubt it was the clutch, if you had someone do a quickie cheap resurface that's where I would bet the issue was.

IIRC I saw you post a thread about this on the Corral too. If you want to get one of those flywheels send a PM to Texastransparts on that forum, he sells them. Thing shipped to me in about 3 business days.

Looking at it it's hard to believe a badly resurfaced flywheel can make the pressure plate fingers not all even, but I guess it is barely uneven as it is. Are you talking about the flywheel from napa I posted?

Old 06-08-2015, 10:14 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Well it's the pressure plate... Put the oem pressure plate on and the fingers sit smooth as silk.. The exedy one has like 6-8 fingers that don't sit flush. I didn't check the flywheel with the dial indicator because I'm afraid to take the spark plugs out cause I know these engine are notorious for blowing the spark plug threads and I hate screwing with that lol, but flywheels resurfaced, and the oem pressure plate sits flush and the exedy one doesn't. I'm gonna say it's safe to say it's the aftermarket pressure plate.

Gonna call them tomorrow and rip some ***. I haven't been able to drive it for a month, had to borrow a car, spent 400$ on other parts I thought it could be, dropped the transmission countless times, and it was their pressure plate the whole time. Maybe they will pitty me and at the very least do fast shipping. Idk

Old 06-08-2015, 10:30 PM   #62
Staff
Regular
Staff

That is very strange... But duds do happen even in the best brands. That's really ****ty. Hopefully you get some resolution to this and get the car back on the road.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:15 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Well, new clutch and pressure plate are in. That's what it was, vibration has drastically decreased; although there is some still in the pedal, there was a few fingers that were still not perfectly flat, but not nearly as much as the other one was, which is confusing but I only have about 4 miles on it so far so it might just be something that'll go away further in the break in? Honestly the vibration is not bad, might not have noticed it if I wasn't looking for it but I'm OCD when it comes to vehicles and especially after what I went through lol.

During the last of my little drive, the clutch did start to feel heavier, when I got home I checked to make sure the fork was still in place and it was fine. Got a little exhaust leak I need to chase down but no big deal prolly just didn't get a bolt tight enough.

What are some symptoms I should expect when breaking this thing in? I'm assuming a little pedal vibration is to be expected? Should it eventually go away?

Big thanks for all the help guys

Old 06-16-2015, 07:18 AM   #64
Staff
Regular
Staff

It should wear itself in. Lots of stop and go for the first 500 miles if you can and go easy on it for those 500 miles.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:54 AM   #65
Lorraine's driver

Regular

If you don't have that counterweight on the clutch fork, I could see that allowing vibration in the pedal.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/gt-s.../topics/424730

I made a thread about it a few years back, but I removed the pic from it a good while ago, because I was stupid lol.

Clutch fork counterweight?
Old 06-16-2015, 01:35 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you don't have that counterweight on the clutch fork, I could see that allowing vibration in the pedal.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/gt-s.../topics/424730

I made a thread about it a few years back, but I removed the pic from it a good while ago, because I was stupid lol.

Clutch fork counterweight?

I have the weight on there. It's got to just be the fingers on the pressure plate. A few of them still didn't seem perfectly even. Idk if that's something that'll smooth out but that's got to be what it is since I have the weight and everything is newClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1434479676.833715.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	185029 I marked the fingers that had slight gap before I put the transmission in

Old 06-16-2015, 02:40 PM   #67
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Here's a pic of it bolted to the clutch fork. It feels like it's 2-3 lbs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1434483555.054059.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	185035

If it bothers you after its broke in completely, maybe you can look for one. I bet it would get rid of the pedal vibration.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:04 PM   #68
Staff
Regular
Staff

Adjustable clutch cable ftl...

Old 06-16-2015, 05:59 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Here's a pic of it bolted to the clutch fork. It feels like it's 2-3 lbs.

Attachment 185035

If it bothers you after its broke in completely, maybe you can look for one. I bet it would get rid of the pedal vibration.

Both my oem and my oem replacement forks have that weightClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1434495588.149241.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	185059

Old 06-17-2015, 01:38 AM   #70
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Both my oem and my oem replacement forks have that weightAttachment 185059

There goes my vibration theory lol.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT