Why won't my Maximum Motorsports firewall adjuster fit? - Page 4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-28-2015, 12:42 AM   #106
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Well, Exedy might have had a bad batch go out or something specifically is boogered in YOUR clutch which can happen. If you didn't buy it too long ago I'd contact them or if you got it from AM, take pics and PM a rep. They may hook you up.

I'd get an entire new setup, completely. You can always roll with a Luk Gold clutch from Rockauto. Luk is another big OEM manufacturer and that clutch is like $150 on Rockauto IIRC.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2015, 01:43 AM   #107
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Well, Exedy might have had a bad batch go out or something specifically is boogered in YOUR clutch which can happen. If you didn't buy it too long ago I'd contact them or if you got it from AM, take pics and PM a rep. They may hook you up.

I'd get an entire new setup, completely. You can always roll with a Luk Gold clutch from Rockauto. Luk is another big OEM manufacturer and that clutch is like $150 on Rockauto IIRC.

I talked to AM and they pretty much just told me they can't do anything about it that I would have to do everything through exedy. I've talked to exedy a bunch of times, when they actually decide to answer their damn phone that is.... Was suppose to send me a rga number so I could return the first kit, been over a week and still haven't got any email from them.. They haven't been much help at all honestly. Gonna call them Monday and tell them that I either want them to send me a clutch kit they have already tested THEMSELVES on whatever machine they use to test them, so I know it's good. Or send me my damn money back so I can go with a different brand. Wouldn't be this upset about it if they actually tried to help me out just seems like they don't care. Over 1k deep on this at this point -.-

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
GHO5T5NIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:55 PM   #108
Staff
Regular
Staff

Finally got around to checking my Exedy PP today (and cleaning the majority of my garage to make room to work) and the fingers are all dead level with a straight edge. You either got a bad one or something got ****ed up on the initial setup.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2015, 12:42 AM   #109
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Finally got around to checking my Exedy PP today (and cleaning the majority of my garage to make room to work) and the fingers are all dead level with a straight edge. You either got a bad one or something got ****ed up on the initial setup.

I need to make sure but I think the only way you can see they aren't even is when bolted onto the flywheel. I'll check but I think mine are dead even too when it's not bolted up

Old 06-30-2015, 02:15 PM   #110
Registered Member
Regular

Think I'm gonna get this:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mcleod...ch-0104gt.html

Opinions? McLeod has been around 40 years and always seem to hear about how good their quality is

Old 07-02-2015, 09:41 AM   #111
Registered Member
Regular

Do they still sell the clutches for the 03 04 cobras? I've read people putting those in but that was back in like 2010 and 2011

Old 07-02-2015, 10:38 AM   #112
Staff
Regular
Staff

No I don't think so. All it was was an 11" Luk clutch I believe. That is what the 11" Luk Gold clutch that I mentioned basically is.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 07-02-2015, 10:47 AM   #113
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No I don't think so. All it was was an 11" Luk clutch I believe. That is what the 11" Luk Gold clutch that I mentioned basically is.

I thought valeo made the cobra Kit too?

Old 07-02-2015, 11:10 AM   #114
Staff
Regular
Staff

It might have been them... Luk, Valeo and Exedy are the "big 3" OEM makers.

You could also get ahold of Clutch Dynamics. Dude is a mom/pop clutch maker up in Minnesota or Michigan... I forget. But he makes super good kits.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:13 PM   #115
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It might have been them... Luk, Valeo and Exedy are the "big 3" OEM makers.

You could also get ahold of Clutch Dynamics. Dude is a mom/pop clutch maker up in Minnesota or Michigan... I forget. But he makes super good kits.

Ok I'll look then up for sure. I'm very open to different kits at this time. I'm trying to think tho, what exactly would make the vibration worse hen everything is warmed up and hardly noticeable while everything's cool? It still doesn't make sense to me. The pressure plate fingers don't just get "more bent" when everything's hot and then magically get better when things cool down. Any idea why that would happen? Just don't want to buy another kit without fully understanding the problem. Have you listened to those 2 videos I posted awhile back?

Old 07-09-2015, 01:50 PM   #116
Registered Member
Regular

Just got the McLeod in the mail today!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1436467759.674310.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	186766
The pressure plate fingers are designed a lot more similar to the stock one than the exedy one isClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1436467836.280523.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	186767
Wish me luck!

Old 07-09-2015, 01:54 PM   #117
Staff
Regular
Staff

Weird because that is how my Mach 400 fingers look... I am le intrigued. I will take a pic and we can compare our junk.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:22 PM   #118
Registered Member
Regular

Here's the stock oneClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1436494833.944890.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	186807
Here's the exedy Mach 400Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1436494860.313180.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	250.9 KB
ID:	186808
And here's the McLeodClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1436494899.081147.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	186809

To me, the exedy design doesn't seem like it would be as stable, or consistent as the eom and McLeod designs are. But I am no engineer for damn sure lol

Old 07-09-2015, 11:33 PM   #119
Registered Member
Regular

You might not be an engineer but have you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express? 😆

dwbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:27 AM   #120
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah my exedy looks like your exedy. Dunno. The one I put in my 98 last year worked like a champ.

Old 07-11-2015, 05:46 PM   #121
Registered Member
Regular

Just bolted up and torqued the new McLeod to a brand new flywheel. Fingers do the same thing that the exedy kits were judging by the way we test it. Held a flat piece of a steel grinder up and you can see the wobble.
https://vid.me/Hiz3

And here is a video of the stock pressure plate torqued to the stock flywheel
https://vid.me/mESm

The McLeod pressure plate uses Valeo fingers just like the stock pressure plate..

Old 07-11-2015, 06:01 PM   #122
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1436655671.986682.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	186929

Old 07-11-2015, 10:41 PM   #123
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
So still the same issues???

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:18 AM   #124
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
So still the same issues???

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Haven't put it together yet but as you can see in the video the fingers do the same thing as the other clutch kits. Oem one is solid... This is on a brand new flywheel and a brand new clutch kit too. Assuming I'm going to have the same symptom when I throw It all back together but who knows at this point.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:44 PM   #125
Registered Member
Regular

Why won't my Maximum Motorsports firewall adjuster fit?

Well just got it back together with the brand new flywheel and new McLeod clutch kit. Same ****.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:13 AM   #126
Staff
Regular
Staff

So with a BRAND NEW flywheel (like BNIB never used) and a BRAND NEW clutch its still doing the same thing?

At this point the only common denominator is the installer... I'm trying to think what you could possibly be doing that might be causing this. And don't take that the wrong way... just not sure what else it could be ya know?

Old 07-13-2015, 07:51 AM   #127
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So with a BRAND NEW flywheel (like BNIB never used) and a BRAND NEW clutch its still doing the same thing?

At this point the only common denominator is the installer... I'm trying to think what you could possibly be doing that might be causing this. And don't take that the wrong way... just not sure what else it could be ya know?

I'm not offended at all I wonder the same thing lol but honestly it's a pretty straight forward thing, I don't understand how I could be screwing it up. My dad has been there with me and installed it himself too, and trust me he knows what he's doing. I torque in a cross cross pattern, and slowly work my way up the torque scale. So, I would turn them all until the bolt head just touches, but not tight. Then I would torque to say 15ftlbs in a cross cross pattern. Then I would torque to 25ftlbs, and then 35ftlbs got the pressure plate. 59 at the flywheel

Old 07-13-2015, 07:55 AM   #128
Staff
Regular
Staff

With the clutch alignment tool in place and making sure you can pull it out and push it back in with no resistance as you go?

Are you using all new ARP hardware for the clutch bolts? Maybe you have a stretching bolt if you are using old ones? I mean that is a long shot but who knows at this point.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:05 AM   #129
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
With the clutch alignment tool in place and making sure you can pull it out and push it back in with no resistance as you go?

Are you using all new ARP hardware for the clutch bolts? Maybe you have a stretching bolt if you are using old ones? I mean that is a long shot but who knows at this point.

Yup I can pull the tool in and out with ease. And these are brand new bolts I ordered straight from ford lol

Old 07-13-2015, 08:12 AM   #130
Registered Member
Regular

I've actually thought about recording my install just to rule me at fault out but it was always too hard to multitask and get it all on a phone camera lol

Old 07-13-2015, 08:29 AM   #131
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHO5T5NIPER View Post
Just bolted up and torqued the new McLeod to a brand new flywheel. Fingers do the same thing that the exedy kits were judging by the way we test it. Held a flat piece of a steel grinder up and you can see the wobble.
https://vid.me/Hiz3

And here is a video of the stock pressure plate torqued to the stock flywheel
https://vid.me/mESm

The McLeod pressure plate uses Valeo fingers just like the stock pressure plate..

Idk if you have watched these two videos yet or not Scotty, but this is what I'm talking about with the fingers not being perfectly straight. Both exedy kits and this McLeod were like this. Then watch the stock pressure plate video and u can see the difference

Old 08-01-2015, 10:21 AM   #132
Registered Member
Regular

Well Exedy returned the money I spent on the first clutch kit after they tested it. Said that if the fingers were off more than a tenth, they give your credit back and I guess mine was. Guess I really do just have bad luck

Old 09-14-2015, 01:47 PM   #133
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
That vibration is indicative of something in the clutch being not quite right honestly. Clutch pedal should not vibrate.

Correct way to set the preload up with a firewall adjuster is to actually be looking into the bellhousing through the clutch fork opening while the car is running in neutral. If the TOB is not spinning, tighten the adjuster up until it starts to spin and then go a little tighter and there you go. If its spinning already when you look at it, back it off till it stops and then do the above process.
I just bought and installed this setup for mine. I couldn't turn the adjuster with my hands. I had to use channel locks. it looks like **** now. I wish I would have bought the unpainted firewall adjuster.

Anyway lol, this is where I'm at now, adjusting the preload. Have you experienced a TOB that touched the pressure plate fingers when it was cold, then when everything was hot, the TOB doesn't touch? I hate this because now I feel like I need to wait until it's fully warmed up then get under and get it adjusted correctly. It's going to be so damn hot down there lol.

Besides getting it adjusted correctly, the pedal feel is lighter and smoother than before with my FRPP quadrant and adjustable cable. I just feel like I need to get more clutch dis-engagement. It wants to be hard to get into 1st and Rev at the moment. Maybe I need to change my fluid.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:49 PM   #134
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I just bought and installed this setup for mine. I couldn't turn the adjuster with my hands. I had to use channel locks. it looks like **** now. I wish I would have bought the unpainted firewall adjuster.

Anyway lol, this is where I'm at now, adjusting the preload. Have you experienced a TOB that touched the pressure plate fingers when it was cold, then when everything was hot, the TOB doesn't touch? I hate this because now I feel like I need to wait until it's fully warmed up then get under and get it adjusted correctly. It's going to be so damn hot down there lol.

Besides getting it adjusted correctly, the pedal feel is lighter and smoother than before with my FRPP quadrant and adjustable cable. I just feel like I need to get more clutch dis-engagement. It wants to be hard to get into 1st and Rev at the moment. Maybe I need to change my fluid.

I haven't got under and examined it compared to when it's hot or cold but it definitely changes. Your tob changes distance depending on temperature?? I'm at 800 miles on this setup and still same symptoms I've been complaining about lol

Old 09-16-2015, 01:31 PM   #135
Lorraine's driver

Regular

I noticed a pretty big improvement in smoothness of pedal motion after I installed the MM cable, quadrant, firewall adjuster. The pedal is even lighter than stock was. I was surprised lol. Since my install and doing some research on a few of the Mustang forums, adjustment is as easy as pulling the clutch cable away from the firewall and turning the firewall adjuster up to meet the cable bushing. You don't have to pull it hard or anything. Leave like a dime size or so gap between the cable bushing and the firewall adjuster.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:56 PM   #136
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Lets talk about your rattle. I just removed my freeplay spring and now I have a rattle in the pedal/quadrant area.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442540888.060588.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	298.7 KB
ID:	191279

I had the spring in there mainly to keep the pedal up with my last setup, kinda like the spring loaded stock setup. Anyway, the rattle is when it's in gear, 1st - 2nd - and 3rd (least amount in 3rd) when you are cruising city/town driving. I don't hear it when I get on it or when idling at a stop light/sign in neutral. The rattle is not the TOB outside, it's the pedal some and quadrant mostly. In my situation, I ran the firewall adjuster in (clockwise) because I think my TOB was a tad too close. Those reduced my rattle quite a bit. If it comes back, I'm gonna stick my freeplay Spring back on lol.

IG: @azurebluemach
Old 09-18-2015, 07:56 AM   #137
Staff
Regular
Staff

If there is a rattle its because the TOB is not tight enough against the fingers, it needs to be preloaded. The freeplay spring is completely useless and all it does is make the pedal harder to push in and put more stress on the cable. A properly adjusted setup will be silent.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:13 AM   #138
Lorraine's driver

Regular

There are sooooooooooo many arguments about having the TOB spinning all the time against the PP fingers OR having it just a tick away so it does not spin when the clutch is engaged.

Sooooooooooo many

I set mine up so its just barely touching, but I would say it spins all the time. It would kinda dance now and then depending how hot everything was. The spring just made it so the pedal wasn't flopping around. It was up, like stock.

I'm not so sure I believe you about the rattle/vibration. I wouldn't say my clutch assembly spins super smooth. And the fact that the TOB is a press fit against the PP fingers, it will dance unless there is hard pressure. This might even be different for different brands of clutches too. Mines an Exedy. I'll try to adjust it closer, but there was no slack to be had before I backed it out after removing the spring.

Old 09-19-2015, 10:54 AM   #139
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
There are sooooooooooo many arguments about having the TOB spinning all the time against the PP fingers OR having it just a tick away so it does not spin when the clutch is engaged.

Sooooooooooo many

I set mine up so its just barely touching, but I would say it spins all the time. It would kinda dance now and then depending how hot everything was. The spring just made it so the pedal wasn't flopping around. It was up, like stock.

I'm not so sure I believe you about the rattle/vibration. I wouldn't say my clutch assembly spins super smooth. And the fact that the TOB is a press fit against the PP fingers, it will dance unless there is hard pressure. This might even be different for different brands of clutches too. Mines an Exedy. I'll try to adjust it closer, but there was no slack to be had before I backed it out after removing the spring.

I have moved my adjuster all over the place and it does the same **** so I think I'm going to try the free play mod and see how that does for me. The only thing that stops the pedal vibration is if I tighten it up a **** ton. But that's not healthy for those parts so I have to loosen it. Even when it's tight the pedal doesn't feel smooth. Heat definitely has a big effect on everything. After a night of hooning a bit last night with a couple if launches, my pedal vibrated a lot harder and I also heard the tob was making a bit of sound it doesn't usually make until I put very slight amount if pressure on the pedal.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:20 PM   #140
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHO5T5NIPER View Post
I have moved my adjuster all over the place and it does the same **** so I think I'm going to try the free play mod and see how that does for me. The only thing that stops the pedal vibration is if I tighten it up a **** ton. But that's not healthy for those parts so I have to loosen it. Even when it's tight the pedal doesn't feel smooth. Heat definitely has a big effect on everything. After a night of hooning a bit last night with a couple if launches, my pedal vibrated a lot harder and I also heard the tob was making a bit of sound it doesn't usually make until I put very slight amount if pressure on the pedal.

Then something is wrong with your setup. I've beaten the everliving **** out of plenty of Mustangs and never had an issue with a properly setup clutch.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT