Why won't my Maximum Motorsports firewall adjuster fit? - Page 5 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-19-2015, 02:56 PM   #141
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Then something is wrong with your setup. I've beaten the everliving **** out of plenty of Mustangs and never had an issue with a properly setup clutch.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Man I've been in there so many times if something was wrong id of seen it by now. 3 clutch kits all the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
GHO5T5NIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2015, 03:02 PM   #142
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHO5T5NIPER View Post
Man I've been in there so many times if something was wrong id of seen it by now. 3 clutch kits all the same.

I'm banking on the idea one of these days it's either going to destroy my tob or something's going to fail and it's going to become apparent what the problem is. Transmissions are cheap for these anyways I guess

Old 09-19-2015, 04:45 PM   #143
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
An automatic with a badass converter would solve your issue lol.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2015, 04:47 PM   #144
Registered Member
Regular

Why won't my Maximum Motorsports firewall adjuster fit?

Quote:
An automatic with a badass converter would solve your issue lol.

I don't think I would ever be able to live without a manual in my life unfortunately. Being a ***** but feel so much more connected with a manual car

Old 09-19-2015, 04:50 PM   #145
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Eh, take a ride in a big power auto and you might change your mind.

But 3 clutch kits and all the same result... something is wrong with your setup or... something because there is no way 3 different brands are all going to have the same issue.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 04:52 PM   #146
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
I thoroughly enjoyed my test drive in a 2015 with an auto.

IG: @azurebluemach
Old 09-19-2015, 04:58 PM   #147
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Eh, take a ride in a big power auto and you might change your mind.

But 3 clutch kits and all the same result... something is wrong with your setup or... something because there is no way 3 different brands are all going to have the same issue.

Yeah haha my dad and I are getting ready to build his 63 Plymouth sport fury and he wants to take the manual in and put in a automatic with a bump shifter. That might be liveable!

As for my car i know at this point it sounds like the installer is at fault but it's a hard thing to screw up lol pretty simple. Might have a friend at the dealership tear it apart if something goes wrong again

Old 09-19-2015, 07:21 PM   #148
Registered Member
Regular

Also forgot to mention ever since I put this new flywheel on and the McLeod kit there isn't enough room to move the tob back any. It is impossible for me to put space Inbetween the tob and the pressure plate fingers

Is screw the adjuster all the way in and the tob is still impacting the fingers a bit

Old 09-20-2015, 10:20 PM   #149
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I'm keeping up with your progress.
I'm having the exact same parts installed this week. ~McLeod.........
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:53 PM   #150
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by robb15033 View Post
I'm keeping up with your progress.
I'm having the exact same parts installed this week. ~McLeod.........

I've heard nothing but good things from McLeod and they have been in the Business for 40 years so they know what their doing! I did send my first Exedy kit back to be tested and they did say the fingers were misaligned so idk. Let me know how yours goes!!!!

Old 09-21-2015, 04:39 PM   #151
Registered Member
Regular

I certainly will. I have the WHOLE gamit of replacement parts to put on as you have. Almost 100% identical. I'm ordering the McLeod flywheel and MM cable kit Thursday and will drop it off on Friday.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:56 PM   #152
Registered Member
Regular

Very easy to read information regarding aligning clutch components. (With Pictures too )
https://www.mcleodracing.com/content...-instructions/
Clutch Tech Tips & Instructions~
https://www.mcleodracing.com/content...uction-sheets/
Old 09-21-2015, 05:05 PM   #153
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I certainly will. I have the WHOLE gamit of replacement parts to put on as you have. Almost 100% identical. I'm ordering the McLeod flywheel and MM cable kit Thursday and will drop it off on Friday.

Sweet! Very curious how yours turns out! Hope yours goes smoothly. Right now I'm running a cheap 90$ flywheel just from the parts store which I am not a fan of at all. So much heavier than the stock flywheel was. But I had the same symptom with the stock flywheel also

Old 10-04-2015, 01:21 AM   #154
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Very easy to read information regarding aligning clutch components. (With Pictures too )

https://www.mcleodracing.com/content...-instructions/

Clutch Tech Tips & Instructions~
https://www.mcleodracing.com/content...uction-sheets/

I'm assuming everything is running smoothly considering we haven't heard from you? I'm getting pissed at mine.. Can't launch and hook nearly as hard as I could with the stock clutch. Power just goes straight to the wheels and spins now. Time to do the suspension upgrades I guess...
In the meantime I'm going to write a love letter to my old stock clutch <3

Old 10-04-2015, 01:02 PM   #155
Registered Member
Regular

Friday was a wash, literally. the radiator fan seized up and i had to find a new one and get it on ASAP in the rain. Most difficult part in history to verify & purchase. What a nightmare.
But anyway, I'm on the schedule for Tuesday morning @ 9:30.
-Can not locate the Pivot Ball Stud (Fulcrum Bolt) that I bought way back when. I don't know where it went.?.?
-I did receive my clutch cable kit from MM though. I got the cable heat shielding and the clutch cable insulator added to the order, never seen it before. Supposed to help. I always need help.
-The McLeod flywheel arrived & looks SWEET! "Light Weight Billet Steel" they say.
-And, of course the Ford Racing hi-torque, mini starter came. Should be plated with gold for the price.
-I'm replacing the clutch fork this time. The FRPP piece appears to have counterweights, feels like a heavy duty, American made part
~Did You Install A New Throw Out Bearing Sleeve Tube?
Old 10-04-2015, 01:44 PM   #156
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Friday was a wash, literally. the radiator fan seized up and i had to find a new one and get it on ASAP in the rain. Most difficult part in history to verify & purchase. What a nightmare.
But anyway, I'm on the schedule for Tuesday morning @ 9:30.
-Can not locate the Pivot Ball Stud (Fulcrum Bolt) that I bought way back when. I don't know where it went.?.?
-I did receive my clutch cable kit from MM though. I got the cable heat shielding and the clutch cable insulator added to the order, never seen it before. Supposed to help. I always need help.
-The McLeod flywheel arrived & looks SWEET! "Light Weight Billet Steel" they say.
-And, of course the Ford Racing hi-torque, mini starter came. Should be plated with gold for the price.
-I'm replacing the clutch fork this time. The FRPP piece appears to have counterweights, feels like a heavy duty, American made part
~Did You Install A New Throw Out Bearing Sleeve Tube?

No I couldn't find the sleeve the tob rides on anywhere.. I actually went to the ford dealer to get all my parts and they ordered me a sleeve for a sn95 I'm assuming cause it was nowhere near the same lol.

I also had them get me the oem clutch fork. I actually heard they got recalled later because of a problem that they wouldn't stay on the pivot ball, they would work their way off of it. Mine did that I just figured it was normal since it was a brand new part and installed it anyways. 1k miles later and it hasn't slid off the pivot ball yet but I still do have the vibration as I did with the old eom fork also.

Old 10-04-2015, 03:34 PM   #157
Registered Member
Regular

Hmmm.
I got this one from LMR. Came in Ford Racing box but it looks like the same one listed as just "Ford". Mine is stamped with "XR33-7515-AA" on fork itself. Ford OEM is stamped with "XR3Z" instead of FRPP "XR33"
Don't know what the difference is yet.

I got my T.O. bearing sleeve and adjuster bolt from T45Source.com but Leathal Performance has them, McLeod, & Ford too.
The T45 Source - Proven, reliable T45 Transmissions
I am eager to get the clutch on. Kinda interested in seeing what condition everything on the car is in now. What kinda clutch, condition of all the moving parts. Needed replaced a long time ago. Barely hanging on right now.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:30 PM   #158
Registered Member
Regular

So I am considering doing the free play mod just to try it out because I have nothing to lose. But the way this McLeod kit or the new flywheel is set up, there is barely any room at all for the fork to be push back far enough from the fingers that the tob stops spinning. You can see in the video when I push it back with my hand, it has barely enough room that the tob will stop spinning and keep in mind this is with the MM firewall adjuster as loose as it will go. So I need to install a spring that is strong enough to constantly push it back that far? You can hear the tob does squeak until pressure is applied and the pedal rattles like crazy until pressure is applied.

https://vid.me/zCfX

Old 10-07-2015, 08:02 AM   #159
Registered Member
Regular

_Call a local MUSTANG shop in your area and you will get the solution, I guarantee it.
-I believe that the throwout bearing is to always spin and that mod isn't normal operation.
-My McLeod kit installation went great. What came out was worn out BIG time! There was a Valeo clutch in there. Disk was worn down to rivets, fork was sloppy loose/worn out.
-Found play in the transmission's 4th gear. Replaced a shim that had a grove in it.
All is done and pedal feels lighter. Good feeling.
Ill check this thread for update later today.
Good Luck-
Old 10-07-2015, 08:23 AM   #160
Lorraine's driver

Regular

OP, all the TOB's squeak like that when they aren't spinning all the time. That noise will go away if you bring the TOB a little closer. I'll try to take a video of mine when I put the freeplay spring back in, but I had my TOB up just touching the clutch fingers (and spinning) and my noise/vibration was NOT present. When I removed the spring, that's when I noticed it. I removed it because the Maximum Motorsports clutch cable and firewall adjuster didn't seem to have as much slop as my previous setup, so I wanted to remove the freeplay spring and see what happened. Mine is a Ford Racing TOB from AM BTW.

I just don't think my clutch assembly and TOB spin that smoothly. That's why I think there's is some noise/vibration.

Old 10-07-2015, 03:20 PM   #161
Registered Member
Regular

The noise does go away when I tighten it up but I have to tighten to where there is literally no slack at all. By the way, my clutches grabbing point is at the very top of the pedal which is really annoying the hell out of me. How do I adjust the grabbing point so it's closer to the floor or can you?

Old 10-07-2015, 09:12 PM   #162
Registered Member
Regular

Mine is and has been grabbing at 2/3- 3/4 the way up. Don't know how common that is but I like it just fine.
------------------------------------------------
FOUND THIS~ TO Bearing touching plate fingers.
Solution:I searched and found out that there should some preload on the bearing so i just stuck with it just enough so that the bearing is just touching the forks, i can adjust it to where it is not touching the forks but then i have to deal with it not going into gear as easy.
VIDEO:

Qusestion- No, the noise was the TOB vibrating on the fork. The TOB sits loosely against the PP when the clutch is released, so it can rattle around. I simple removed the TOB off the fork, greased the prongs of the fork where the TOB is held, the shaft where it slides, and reinstalled--the noise went away.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:51 PM   #163
Registered Member
Regular

ALSO- Forgot to mention~
The new high torque mini starter from Ford Racing is really cool! When you turn the key over, it makes a sound like I've never heard. Sounds cool, very hard to describe but everyone gets a grin when hearing it. Starts quickly. Makes me feel slightly better for the price they charge.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:08 PM   #164
Registered Member
Regular

I can't stand having a clutch that grabs at the very top man! Makes launching and just everyday driving an annoyance for me. Can the MM adjuster kit change the clutches grabbing point? How does one change the grabbing point?

Old 10-08-2015, 03:46 PM   #165
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
I can't stand having a clutch that grabs at the very top man! Makes launching and just everyday driving an annoyance for me. Can the MM adjuster kit change the clutches grabbing point? How does one change the grabbing point?

The easiest way is to turn the adjuster in toward the firewall. You just want to make sure your TOB is still up barely touching the pressure plate fingers when the pedal is up. But, you also want to make sure the clutch is fully disengaged when you push the pedal in all the way. Lol

Old 10-09-2015, 02:02 AM   #166
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
The easiest way is to turn the adjuster in toward the firewall. You just want to make sure your TOB is still up barely touching the pressure plate fingers when the pedal is up. But, you also want to make sure the clutch is fully disengaged when you push the pedal in all the way. Lol

I've messed with the adjuster it doesn't seem to change the grabbing point, just takes the slack out

Old 10-09-2015, 02:02 PM   #167
Registered Member
Regular

Call or e-mail Maximum Motorports and ask them. They are easy to contact/get responses.
Call your clutch manufacturer.
After you asked, I paid attention, and my clutch grabs alot quicker than i thought, at about 45% of the way out.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:15 PM   #168
Registered Member
Regular

Exclamation

YO! YO!
I Figured Out How To Adjust Clutch Pedal & T.O. Bearing Release Point On Pedal Height!
~My new clutch has 4-5 hundred miles on it so it was time to tighten up the cable a little bit. I went crazy overboard and had the clutch releasing a couple of inches from the floor board by accident.
If you still want to know how to adjust it to anywhere you want, respond to thread and I'll tell you what I've done to move it around.
JUST FYI!!
Old 10-28-2015, 12:06 AM   #169
Registered Member
Regular

No Intention Of Bad-Mouthing~Just Curios 1996 Camaro

I want an honest opinion, can you still see 1995 & 1996 Chevy Camaros in prestine condition driving up and down the highways and throughout neighborhoods across America?? Like you do SN95's??
Because I own two of them, I notice them everywhere, and I see alot of them. New Edges, even more so, maybe.
~I just picked up the new MOTOR TREND "YOU AGAIN" addition, it has the Mustang and the Camaro on the cover. As you flip through the pages, you get to page 50 and it shows the introduction to the SN95 and the '96 Camaro. Honestly, the Camaro looks pretty sharp, but I never see them in abundance running up and down the road. Without talking smack about Chevy's, what really happened to them?? I would really, really love to see one some time and park next to it, open up the hoods, look inside, listen to the aftermarket exhaust systems, and all that good stuff. I read in here that Mustang outsold them by tons, but I just never see one. They look pretty sharp too, they look like what a Chevy should look like going up against the new body style of the SN95.
I honestly see SN95 Mustangs ALL OVER THE PLACE!!

Old 10-28-2015, 12:20 AM   #170
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
I want an honest opinion, can you still see 1995 & 1996 Chevy Camaros in prestine condition driving up and down the highways and throughout neighborhoods across America?? Like you do SN95's??
Because I own two of them, I notice them everywhere, and I see alot of them. New Edges, even more so, maybe.
~I just picked up the new MOTOR TREND "YOU AGAIN" addition, it has the Mustang and the Camaro on the cover. As you flip through the pages, you get to page 50 and it shows the introduction to the SN95 and the '96 Camaro. Honestly, the Camaro looks pretty sharp, but I never see them in abundance running up and down the road. Without talking smack about Chevy's, what really happened to them?? I would really, really love to see one some time and park next to it, open up the hoods, look inside, listen to the aftermarket exhaust systems, and all that good stuff. I read in here that Mustang outsold them by tons, but I just never see one. They look pretty sharp too, they look like what a Chevy should look like going up against the new body style of the SN95.
I honestly see SN95 Mustangs ALL OVER THE PLACE!!

No you dont see them often. I see them rarely. When i do their either really beat down or their in great shape. I had a friend with a 94 camaro z28, it had roughly 120k when he bought it from a family friend his dad worked with at GM. It was in pristine conditon, original owner until he got it. He babied it, took care of it meticulously, so did the original owner, pages upon pages of maintenance, kept stock etc. The engine blew at 140k, with light driving over 4 years of him owning it. After all that loving care it gave way. Maybe this happened to a lot of them and were just never fixed?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:59 PM   #171
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
YO! YO!

I Figured Out How To Adjust Clutch Pedal & T.O. Bearing Release Point On Pedal Height!

~My new clutch has 4-5 hundred miles on it so it was time to tighten up the cable a little bit. I went crazy overboard and had the clutch releasing a couple of inches from the floor board by accident.

If you still want to know how to adjust it to anywhere you want, respond to thread and I'll tell you what I've done to move it around.

JUST FYI!!

Would love to be filled in lol but I don't see what more you can so beside screwing in the firewall adjuster?

Old 10-28-2015, 11:18 PM   #172
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Would love to be filled in lol but I don't see what more you can so beside screwing in the firewall adjuster?

YEAH, KINDA.
I was able to have clutch release 2" above floor up to very top of clutch pedal release.
If you have a firewall adjuster, I just pulled the round cable base outwards and screwed the adjuster clockwise inwards towards firewall to get the clutch to release with pedal close to floor board.
Pulled round base cable is connected to, out and spun adjuster counter clockwise, most all the way out to have clutch release with pedal high, away from floor board.
~Is that old news??
It works for me. I can have it pull away from flywheel with pedal anywhere i want.
Problem solved.
Adjustable however anybody would like it., 100%.
Does that help? or do you have something broken???
Old 10-29-2015, 02:09 AM   #173
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
YEAH, KINDA.
I was able to have clutch release 2" above floor up to very top of clutch pedal release.
If you have a firewall adjuster, I just pulled the round cable base outwards and screwed the adjuster clockwise inwards towards firewall to get the clutch to release with pedal close to floor board.
Pulled round base cable is connected to, out and spun adjuster counter clockwise, most all the way out to have clutch release with pedal high, away from floor board.
~Is that old news??
It works for me. I can have it pull away from flywheel with pedal anywhere i want.
Problem solved.
Adjustable however anybody would like it., 100%.
Does that help? or do you have something broken???

I guess I'm confused my "the round base cable". What exactly are u meaning by that? My adjuster is screwed pretty much all the way in and it still engages at the top

Old 10-29-2015, 08:17 PM   #174
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I guess I'm confused my "the round base cable". What exactly are u meaning by that? My adjuster is screwed pretty much all the way in and it still engages at the top

I will take a picture right now,
Stand By-
Old 10-29-2015, 10:25 PM   #175
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

OK, Here are the pictures:
THE ROUND BASE WITH CABLE CONNECTED EXTENDING LEFT, OR DOWNWARDS IN FIRST PICTURE HAS A KEY SEPARATING WHAT IS WHAT I PULL AWAY SO THAT I CAN THREAD THE ROUND WASHER WITH SERRATED EDGES ALL THE WAY IN TOWARDS FIREWALL IF I WANT CLUTCH TO RELEASE AN INCH FROM FLOORBOARD, OR.. LEAVE IT THREADED ALMOST ALL THE WAY OUTWARDS LIKE IN PICTURE TO RELEASE AT A HIGH PEDAL.

The zig-zag serrated teeth is what you grab a hold of and spin inwards and outwards. ( You Got Me?) Understand where I'm coming from here??

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT