5.4 heads on 4.6 block - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-18-2015, 01:39 AM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 2
Send a message via MSN to santanabori
5.4 heads on 4.6 block

Hi guys I have a pair of 5.4 heads im planing to put on my 2000 gt. If any difference or do I need to make a.change. also can I leave the cams ordo I need to.change them for the 4.6? Thank you
santanabori is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-18-2015, 07:05 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,607
5.4 and 4.6L heads are the same, so are the cams. Blocks are different. However... make sure the heads you have are PI heads. Mustangs went to PI heads in 99 but some vehicles including some of the trucks did not until a few years later.


There are also Windsor vs Romeo heads but they are all compatible except you need to have Windsor valve covers for Windsor heads and Romeo valve covers for Romeo heads. Windsors have 13 valve cover bolts, Romeos have 11.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:51 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Panther140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: xxx
Region: Other
Posts: 1,473
Unless you have a 99 or 2000 mustang GT, you are going to need different timing covers to make that work. ALl of the 5.4 engines were made at the Windsor plant. Most of the mustang engines were made at romeo, but the 99 and 00 were windsor. Not sure about 96 and 98 though
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-19-2015, 06:58 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
Unless you have a 99 or 2000 mustang GT, you are going to need different timing covers to make that work. ALl of the 5.4 engines were made at the Windsor plant. Most of the mustang engines were made at romeo, but the 99 and 00 were windsor. Not sure about 96 and 98 though
No, he just needs the correct size hardware. I'm putting a 2000 cover on a 2005 for example, it bolts right on with the correct bolts.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:05 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Panther140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: xxx
Region: Other
Posts: 1,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
No, he just needs the correct size hardware. I'm putting a 2000 cover on a 2005 for example, it bolts right on with the correct bolts.
Oh I see. I thought there was another slight difference in the tensioner for some reason.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:08 PM   #6
WJL
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pittsburgh
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 285
When you say correct bolts what do you mean, longer, shorter, larger diameter or thread type ?

Is this true for a 1998 as well
WJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Panther140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: xxx
Region: Other
Posts: 1,473
The cams are also different in some ways, but still interchangable. One plant pressed the cam gears on, the other bolted them
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:22 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJL View Post
When you say correct bolts what do you mean, longer, shorter, larger diameter or thread type ?

Is this true for a 1998 as well
Romeo heads and Windsor heads use a slightly different size bolt where the timing cover attaches to them. I'm just going to use the stuff that came with the Marquis motor I got, if that doesn't work then its a trip the the hardware store.

Bolt hole locations are the same. I'm just swapping everything on the front assembly from my 2000 Windsor to my 2005 Romeo because I don't feel like having to guess at the blower mounting and the blower belt tensioner and routing.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:27 PM   #9
WJL
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pittsburgh
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 285
Got it, i will learn more i guess when i pick up my 05 Lincoln Motor Saturday, Thanks
WJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:46 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,607
Keep all the hardware from your 2000. Swap everything from the Mustang from the cover to all the accessories and tensioners over to the 2005 "Vic" 2V you are getting. Even if it was the same year as your mustang the accessories are different. You may even have to swap the water pump which is a good excuse to replace it unless its real low mileage, then just a new gasket and go.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:57 AM   #11
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 2
Send a message via MSN to santanabori
Thanks guys how about the cams this is from an expedition do you think they'll work good? Should I leave them? Or should I changed them for the 4.6?
santanabori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:11 AM   #12
Registered Member

Regular
 
natestang07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Soap Lake
Region: Washington
Posts: 5,321
Swap the cams and the intake manifold
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:49 AM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,607
Cams should be the same, you can't use the truck manifold.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:41 AM   #14
Registered Member

Regular
 
natestang07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Soap Lake
Region: Washington
Posts: 5,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Cams should be the same, you can't use the truck manifold.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
The cams are the same in the expy?
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:42 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,607
I believe so but not 100%. PI cams are PI cams. I do not think they are different in the trucks but he can always just swap his cams if he's worried about it. Manifold for a 5.4 is wider though, not compatible and I don't even like using lower mileage used PI manifolds honestly. They all warp under the tstat housing and leak after awhile. Although a new FRPP one will last a good while.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:44 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular
 
natestang07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Soap Lake
Region: Washington
Posts: 5,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I believe so but not 100%. PI cams are PI cams. I do not think they are different in the trucks but he can always just swap his cams if he's worried about it. Manifold for a 5.4 is wider though, not compatible and I don't even like using lower mileage used PI manifolds honestly. They all warp under the tstat housing and leak after awhile. Although a new FRPP one will last a good while.
There in lies the problem. I didn't realize the expy and trucks got the pi treatment.
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Small block big block discussion @ work ReggStang 2005-2010 Mustang GT 6 07-15-2012 04:16 PM
4.6 npi block with pi heads Rexxx73 1996-2004 Mustang GT 4 07-06-2012 10:11 PM
4.6 npi block with pi heads Rexxx73 New Member Introductions & Greetings 0 07-06-2012 01:22 PM
small block/ long block blackGT91 1979-1995 Mustang GT 15 05-14-2012 10:21 PM
5.0 block vs 4.6 block 98RedGT 1996-2004 Mustang GT 4 06-13-2011 01:03 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



09:54 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.