Ready to give up, turns over but don't start - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-25-2015, 12:03 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Even though the Check Engine Light may not be on, you should scan for any pending trouble codes. Most auto parts stores can do this for you. If there are any codes, be sure to write down the number of each one!
While you are there, also have them test your charging system.
If there are no codes, and your charging system checks out good, get a loaner fuel pressure test guage and do a fuel pressure test.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2015, 12:16 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I'm still saying fuel filter. Especially if you don't know when the last time it was changed. It could be 15 years old! Lol.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:24 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linemup View Post
Yes it's a 2000 GT. thank you Panther, an everyone. I will check all those out ASAP!! Here's a list of things I had done in January I think:
1/8/15;
All new plugs, a couple coil packs, fuel pump n filter, all 4 oxygen sensors, temp sensor, AC compressor, 2-3 pulleys, computer, mass air sensor, an more.
I've spent to much money an time in the shop. I wana learn to do stuff myself an with my son!!
It looks like the fuel filter was replaced at the same time as the fuel pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2015, 02:12 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
It looks like the fuel filter was replaced at the same time as the fuel pump.
Gotcha. Missed that
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:32 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Linemup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose View Post
Gotcha. Missed that
My bad sorry, it was replaced when all the other parts were replaced, fuel pump, computer, sensors an all that.
Linemup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:21 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Checked the codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose View Post
Gotcha. Missed that
A friend came by an has a thing to plug in an check the codes. He ran the codes an 2 came up that's said confirmed. Something to do with the catalyst system bank 1 and bank2??
The numbers are po420 & po430. An both said confirmed at the end. I don't know what any of that is or how to go about fixin it. It's orobly somethin outrageously expensive. Can someone please give me some advise? May help me so I no the mechanic isn't bending me over an milk in me for every penny he can?!
Old 05-27-2015, 01:17 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

These codes are commonly encountered when the catalytic converters have been removed.
The codes imply that the ECM has detected that the catalytic converter is not working properly.
These codes , when associated with the catalytic converters, do not usually cause any driveability problems.
Since you ARE experiencing driveability problems, I would start looking for other reasons which can cause this code to appear.
1. Exhaust leak
2. Intake air leak.
3. Faulty fuel injector (Or injectors)
4. Leaking fuel injector.

Do the diagnosis in that order.
You are just going to have to eliminate the possible causes one by one.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:09 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Linemup

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
These codes are commonly encountered when the catalytic converters have been removed.
The codes imply that the ECM has detected that the catalytic converter is not working properly.
These codes , when associated with the catalytic converters, do not usually cause any driveability problems.
Since you ARE experiencing driveability problems, I would start looking for other reasons which can cause this code to appear.
1. Exhaust leak
2. Intake air leak.
3. Faulty fuel injector (Or injectors)
4. Leaking fuel injector.

Do the diagnosis in that order.
You are just going to have to eliminate the possible causes one by one.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:13 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

comfused

She had an exhaust leak a month or so ago, but I took her to the shop an had that fixes professionally. Can you tell me how to check the other things on the list? I'm not very mechanically inclined.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:14 PM   #45
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linemup View Post
She had an exhaust leak a month or so ago, but I took her to the shop an had that fixes professionally. Can you tell me how to check the other things on the list? I'm not very mechanically inclined.
Just take it back to the shop.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:11 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

It's fairly easy to check for any vacuum leaks.
Start at the air cleaner and carefully inspect the air intake plumbing for any loose clamps or anything that looks out of place. Do the same thing to all of the vacuum hoses on the engine. If everything looks ok, buy a cheap can of carburetor cleaner, and with the engine running, spray the carb cleaner everywhere that you just inspected AND all along the intake manifold where it meets the cylinder head. Basically, everywhere that there could possibly be a vacuum leak.
If you hear any change in the idle, you have found a vacuum leak.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:10 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

When u turn ur key to the run position is ur theft light coming on and blinking fast or is it coming on and going back out? It could still be pats even 3 months later cuz the receiver could be bad and not sending signal to the computer telling it that its good to go... If it goes back out and is not blinking then it is not ur issue and we need to look elsewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
thyreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:51 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Thyreaper : pats

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyreaper View Post
When u turn ur key to the run position is ur theft light coming on and blinking fast or is it coming on and going back out? It could still be pats even 3 months later cuz the receiver could be bad and not sending signal to the computer telling it that its good to go... If it goes back out and is not blinking then it is not ur issue and we need to look elsewhere

Old 05-30-2015, 12:01 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Thyreaper!

The theft light comes on when I first turn key on, an stays on about 3-5 seconds then goes off. The only light that stays on is "service engine soom" light. An I think the codes it is showing is po 420 & po 430. Your help is greatly appreciated sir, as I am at my wits end!!
Old 05-30-2015, 12:10 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyreaper View Post

Thank you Thyreaper!! It stays on for about 3-5 seconds then goes off. The only light that stays on is "service engine soon" light, which is showing codes PI 420 & PO 430. I appreciate any suggestions or advice.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT