Ready to give up, turns over but don't start - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-19-2015, 12:57 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Ready to give up, turns over but don't start

I installed a new computer, all new plugs, all o2sensors, fuel pump about 2.5 months ago. I parked it at 5am an went to start it again at 1:30pm sMe day an it would not start. It turns over fine but will not start. It did this 1 time befor an I just waited about 10 minutes an tried again an it started but this time I have tried for 3 days now with no start. Can someone please help me?
Linemup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2015, 01:13 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Please help!!

The fuel pump is workin, I can hear it when I turn the key on. I unhooked the batt cables for about 10-16 mins an then tried to start, didn't work. I read somewhere to run the key from off to on several times then try, so I did an it actually started lastnight. I let it idle, an have it has. It ran about 10 minutes an I shut it down. Got up this morn an same thing, it will turn over but won't start. I tried the key thing again but this time it didn't work. I love this car, my first mustang. I can't stand not being able to drive it!! Please help me!!!
Old 05-19-2015, 01:19 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

By the way it's a 2000 mustang GT. it has a bbk cold air intake, bbk throttle, and slp loudmouth exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2015, 01:44 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Do you think it could be a PATS issue?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:04 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I am not sure what that is. I don't have a lot of mechanical knowledge.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:52 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Passive anti theft system. It will disable the ignition if the code chip in the key goes bad and sometimes the pats system can get wonky

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:56 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

How could I check that? I only have 1 key.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:27 AM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
If it were PATS, wouldn't he not have been able to turn it over that one time?
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:50 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
grab a can of starting fluid and spray a bit into the throttle body while trying to start it. if it sounds any better, then its a fuel issue. if it makes no difference, its probably a spark issue. cant imagine all your coils not working. What made you install a new computer?
Old 05-19-2015, 08:43 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

My mechanic did. It was stalling out when I was comin to a stop sign or red light. As soon as I came to a complete stop it would die. He changed fuel pump, O2 sensors, mass air sensor, 3-4 compacts, all the plugs. He said it was showin different stuff on codes an when he changed it it would stil do it. So he changed to computer an had the ford dealership program it. It's been great ever since til now. I will try the starter fluid when I get off work this evenin. I appreciate yalls help, I no I sure need all the help n advice I can get!!!!
Old 05-19-2015, 08:44 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

3-4 Coil packs, not compact. Dang phone spell check, hate that. Sorry
Old 05-19-2015, 08:49 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Does your mechanic have one of those expensive scanners? i heard ford has one that can narrow down which coil back is hiccuping even without a code. one of those might narrow down what is causing the issue.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:15 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
How about the fuel filter? Anyone check that yet?
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:43 AM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
If you changed the computer without having pats disabled or the computer flashed for your car by Ford then that's your problem. After the 1995 model year you can't just swap computers without dealing with pats.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:37 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Wouldn't the ford dealer done that for PATS? That's been nearly 3 months ago., an its ran fine til 4 days ago. No I haven't checked the filter. Didn't think about that. Like I said I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to mechanics!
Old 05-19-2015, 01:13 PM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Oh if it ran fine and you got it from Ford then its not PATS... hmm...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:15 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Sounds like either more bad Coils or the ones that were replaced are faulty. That's where I'd start.
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:17 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Crank position sensor can cause this exact issue. Verify that your crank position sensor is working properly with a multimeter
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:32 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Where is it located an what do I do to test it? I am clueless but will try anything you think will work. I am desperate to get this ole girl goin again!!!!!
Old 05-19-2015, 06:36 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linemup View Post
Where is it located an what do I do to test it? I am clueless but will try anything you think will work. I am desperate to get this ole girl goin again!!!!!
Its located on the bottom of the engine very near the front and just about center. You could test it with a multimeter but just make sure the wires going to it are good first. Its something you could easily replace by yourself in under 5 minutes. Youtube might have more to offer on this subject, but its the same sensor and location for all ford 4.6L V8 cars. That includes crown vics, grand marquis, lincoln town car, certain trucks, SUVs, and 1996-2004 mustang GTs. You do have the GT right?
Old 05-19-2015, 06:38 PM   #21
WJL
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
That,s actually good advise from Panther, he must not be smoking weed today, Just kidding Panther
WJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:24 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Yes it's a 2000 GT. thank you Panther, an everyone. I will check all those out ASAP!! Here's a list of things I had done in January I think:
1/8/15;
All new plugs, a couple coil packs, fuel pump n filter, all 4 oxygen sensors, temp sensor, AC compressor, 2-3 pulleys, computer, mass air sensor, an more.
I've spent to much money an time in the shop. I wana learn to do stuff myself an with my son!!
Old 05-19-2015, 10:10 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes it's a 2000 GT. thank you Panther, an everyone. I will check all those out ASAP!! Here's a list of things I had done in January I think:
1/8/15;
All new plugs, a couple coil packs, fuel pump n filter, all 4 oxygen sensors, temp sensor, AC compressor, 2-3 pulleys, computer, mass air sensor, an more.
I've spent to much money an time in the shop. I wana learn to do stuff myself an with my son!!
Yeah it sounds like almost all of your sensors are good at this piont. Another thing to consider is the fact that you simply might not have quite enough fuel pressure. You can test fuel pressure with a air pressure guage that normal people use on bike tires. There is a valve on the fuel rail that has a black cap on top of it. If you take that cap off and put a gauge on it you will get a PSI reading in your fuel rail. You should do that with the key in the on position. If its under 25ish then you are way too low. I think 35 is ideal but I have forgotten since upgrading to a much less complex carbureted system

For your EFI car to run, it needs all of the computer **** to be happy, it needs a specific amount of fuel pressure, it needs the spark and fuel each to come in at the right time (thats what the crank position sensor handles.) It needs to know air temps, airflow, O2 readings, blahblahblah.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:24 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Try the starting fluid, like Fenix suggested. That way you can narrow this down to either a fuel problem or an ignition/electrical problem. Then begin your diagnosis from there.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:04 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

+1 on crank sensor. totally forgot about those. you may need to unbolt the ac compressor, just to scoot it aside while you remove and replace the sensor.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:09 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I think you guys are going way too far myself. If he had to replace a couple of the coils a few months ago....I believe there's a really good chance some of the others could be bad also by now. He could also have a faulty new one.
The starting fluid is a good idea to narrow it down to fuel or spark.
Anyway....hope you solve the dilemma.
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:38 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
Does your mechanic have one of those expensive scanners? i heard ford has one that can narrow down which coil back is hiccuping even without a code. one of those might narrow down what is causing the issue.
It sounds like he has something thats even MORE expensive than a high end scanner---- a low end scanner
Old 05-21-2015, 05:32 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I can only hope!!

[QUOTE=Panther140;2230904]Crank position sensor can cause this exact issue. Verify that your crank position sensor is working properly with a multimeter[/QUO

I can only hope that's the problem Fenix!!!! I called auto zone an asked for the price of one an it's only $29.95!! But it's really Gona sick knowin my stang has set for like 6-8 days only because of a $30 part. But if it works an runs rite or better I woulda paid $300+!!! I've had a terrible week an haven't had a chance to even try the starting fluid test yet. There was a shockin death in the immediate family, so my week got shut down. Now it's supposed to rain for the next like 6-7daus so idk if I'll be able to get under it this weekend either. Sucks tho cause w everyone wants to be here now, an I'm drivin my dads 3/4ton cargo van that looks like the Feds are about to bail out the back. I wana be back riding dirty with my girl in my ole girl!!! It's been to long if you haven't noticed. Thank you everyone for your help an suggestions!!! Keep sending them my way. I can use all the advice an knowledge anyone wants to give!!
Old 05-22-2015, 06:21 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I found 2 spare keys in my car. But they won't won't start it either it cranks fine just does start. As I was reading this thread , maybe this could be the pats ? They haven't been used in who knows how long. Maybe the chip expires or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
alecas447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:41 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecas447 View Post
I found 2 spare keys in my car. But they won't won't start it either it cranks fine just does start. As I was reading this thread , maybe this could be the pats ? They haven't been used in who knows how long. Maybe the chip expires or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Have you checked the button in the trunk by the tak lights on the drivers side? If it's engaged I believe it will be pushed in, if not it will be popped out. If it's not engaged push it in. It should stay in. Then try an start it! If that doesn't work have someone try an turn the the engine k dr while you spray starting fluid in the intake. Someone here told me to try this with mine. If it start with the starter fluid then that means it's a fuel problem. If it doesn't the you have a firing prob. Good luck man, this forum helped me!!!
Old 05-23-2015, 01:46 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

A friend came by last night an I was tellin him the mustang symptoms, an everyone here's suggestions. He went out an popped the trunk. He pushed a button by the tail lights an went in an turned the key. No sooner than he touched the key it fired up, almost instatly an ran like nothin was ever wrong!!! What would cause that button to disengage? I haven't tried to start today , I so hope that it does!!
Old 05-23-2015, 02:51 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
A friend came by last night an I was tellin him the mustang symptoms, an everyone here's suggestions. He went out an popped the trunk. He pushed a button by the tail lights an went in an turned the key. No sooner than he touched the key it fired up, almost instatly an ran like nothin was ever wrong!!! What would cause that button to disengage? I haven't tried to start today , I so hope that it does!!
Fuel pump shut off switch. It stops pumping fuel in case you wreck. I had a truck that would pop on its own. Even while driving. Replace the switch. It's not safe
Old 05-23-2015, 07:25 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I haven't hit nothin except a deer but that was like 3 months ago, an it's ran fine from then til last week.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:18 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I haven't hit nothin except a deer but that was like 3 months ago, an it's ran fine from then til last week.
Sometimes they just trip man. My stereo use to knock mine off. Then it just started tripping whenever
Old 05-25-2015, 11:48 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Stil stumped, WTF MAN????

Well I guess that fuel pump switch in the trunk wasn't the problem. I had to leave an got in it this mornin. when it's goin to start it does as soon as I hit the key. It didn't, AGAIN. But I hit it again an it started, then died, like its runnin outa gas. I kept on an kept on an after it started I kept messin with accelerator an trying to keep it runnin. When I finally got to were it would let me give it gas without dyin again, I could rev it up some at keep givin it some gas til it ran fine. I drove about 10 minutes an she came alive man. Ran as good or better seems like than ever!!! I'm so at my wits end man. I hate her not runnin rite. She's my first, an I wana keep her perfect. Idk WTD at all. Somethin wrong an I can't figure it out. It's a fuel problem I think but the fuel pump is comin on. I can hear it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT