Straight cut gears? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-21-2015, 12:23 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Straight cut gears?

Where do you get them for a T-45? Do people do that with the T-45 at all? I have heard of them in the T5, but I think that is something I would like to do with my car this year if you can get them. A good set of straight cut gears makes a lot more sense to me than helical gears in a car that is meant to go fast and they dont put a thrust load on the transmission cases- ergo, the trans can take more abuse with them and they also shift a lot faster without having to go with an auto trans
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2015, 06:15 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
A forum about modding doesn't want to discuss "Unconventional" modding. apparently there are rules to modding and making your car unique. Granted, no one wants to repeatedly hear that carbs are better and that they should switch to a carb setup. But still. im curious to see how this mod goes. also, did you make a thread with whats involved in switching to a carb?
Old 05-21-2015, 06:20 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I can't think of anybody that does them off the top of my head, but maybe check out thet45source?

I'm kind of curious as to why you would want to go straight cut? They are quite noisy and the t45 can be built up to handle quite a bit of power without going straight cut. I'm definitely interested in hearing if you find anyone who does make a straight cut gear
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2015, 06:21 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Oh so when I do it it's not ok.

Sent from the mothership.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:24 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater2111 View Post
Oh so when I do it it's not ok.

Sent from the mothership.
nah i agree with you. its just the "Church Of Carburetor" preaching that gets old fast. I totally understand why people are getting irritated.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:05 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
I can't think of anybody that does them off the top of my head, but maybe check out thet45source?

I'm kind of curious as to why you would want to go straight cut? They are quite noisy and the t45 can be built up to handle quite a bit of power without going straight cut. I'm definitely interested in hearing if you find anyone who does make a straight cut gear
I dont mind a little whine from some straight cut gears. And I really like the improvement in shift speed without needing to go automatic. ANd yeah most people dont realize that helical gears themselves are actually stronger by design, they just apply loads to the trans cases in bad ways.

Basically, if I pull a transmission apart its going to be a lot stronger when it goes back together whether it has helical gears or straight cut ones lol
Old 05-21-2015, 08:21 AM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Do you want a true straight cut gear transmission? Like when you can just pull a lever back for each upshift and forward for each downshift? Or do you want it a dog box style where it is still an H pattern but you don't need a clutch for the upshifts (still need it for down shifts)?

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:14 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Do you want a true straight cut gear transmission? Like when you can just pull a lever back for each upshift and forward for each downshift? Or do you want it a dog box style where it is still an H pattern but you don't need a clutch for the upshifts (still need it for down shifts)?
Dog box. Sequential is cool too though
Old 05-21-2015, 09:17 AM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

The T45 source can do one. There is a guy in Southern Cali that has one. Its a built T45 dog box in a magnesium casing, so its extra light.

HID end all thread
Old 05-21-2015, 12:10 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Afiak there aren't aftermarket gearsets for the t45 but I could be wrong. If there are they will be ridiculosly expensive like they are for the 3650. Dunno why you would need them... Stock gears are good for 600+

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:18 PM   #11
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
...Dunno why you would need them... Stock gears are good for 600+
He wants them for his carburetor.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:42 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
What like a straight cut gearset to open the secondaries instead of vac control??

In all seriousness though, if you plan on more than 600, aftermarket geared 3650 or a built T56 or a Magnum or go auto.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:51 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Just use a Muncie M22 "Rock crusher" transmission. They had that beautiful whine in all 4 of the straight cut gears...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:24 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Afiak there aren't aftermarket gearsets for the t45 but I could be wrong. If there are they will be ridiculosly expensive like they are for the 3650. Dunno why you would need them... Stock gears are good for 600+

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
People dont get straight cut gears because they are stronger. They get them because they can shift them faster and they stress the casing less. Helical gears themselves are actually stronger than straight cut gears, all things being equal. But gear strength is only one factor in overall transmission durability, and transmission durability is only one factor in choosing a setup.

I would get them because they make more sense than helical gears for a car that is meant to go fast and has multiple gears to shift between. If I ever blow a tranny (automotive terms, not sexual terms) I would probably want to put straight cut gears in during the rebuild since they are superior in the ways that matter to me.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:27 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Just use a Muncie M22 "Rock crusher" transmission. They had that beautiful whine in all 4 of the straight cut gears...
Ive thought of those trannies. However, I thought they were helical, but with a really low pitch so they were almost straight cut and still had a lot of the characteristics of them
Old 05-21-2015, 01:31 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What like a straight cut gearset to open the secondaries instead of vac control??

In all seriousness though, if you plan on more than 600, aftermarket geared 3650 or a built T56 or a Magnum or go auto.
Im more worried about shifting characteristics than how much power it will take through it at this point. I want a car that can shift fast on the drag strip, but still one that I am in control of on the track.

Autos are out of the question for me, but not because of 1/4 mile times. Its all about the driving experience for me. My car has 145k miles on it. KNow what percentage of those are on a drag strip? Precisely .00017% of my driving is done on drag strips lol
Old 05-21-2015, 01:32 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The T45 source can do one. There is a guy in Southern Cali that has one. Its a built T45 dog box in a magnesium casing, so its extra light.
THank you I am going to look into that
Old 05-21-2015, 01:36 PM   #18
ME Bloodhound
Staff

If you really have cash to burn there is a European company called PPG that makes a sequential T56. Since US to European currency fluctuates there is no set price for is, but it's roughly $10k

Bullitts are better than Bullets

HID end all thread
Old 05-21-2015, 02:27 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
He wants them for his carburetor.
Beautifully running Carbed Mustang GT with straight cut gears. What part of that is a turn off for you?

Carbs turn me on and they work awesomely why dont you just go ahead and dont be such a h8er boy, okay? see u l8er boy
Old 05-21-2015, 02:29 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you really have cash to burn there is a European company called PPG that makes a sequential T56. Since US to European currency fluctuates there is no set price for is, but it's roughly $10k

Bullitts are better than Bullets
Holy balls man. $10k for a transmission? Deal! Im wiring my student loan money to them right now

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT