Oil pressure gauge possibly failing. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-22-2015, 06:47 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Oil pressure gauge possibly failing.

So when im driving, occasionally my oil gauge will drop to the red line (as opposed to all the way down when the engine is off). I just changed my oil, same oil as always, and 6 quarts as always. It was already doing this a little bit before, friend of mine said its just the gauge needing replacement. I am going to try and replace it today. I unplugged and replugged it when i changed the oil and it seemed like there was oil on the plug itself. so i cleaned it up. Seemed like it was doing better, now whenever i idle at warm, it seems to drop. if i rev it to about 1k or higher, it bounces back up, then when it drops to idle, the pressure gauge drops back down as well. When i am driving on the highway, sometimes it just drops again.

Also, I do know that it is an "Idiot light" and not a real gauge. So i am wondering, Is my pressure riding along 6-7 psi? Everything else feels completely normal. no engine noises, ticking, excessive roughness, all the same as it has been for the past 2 years.

Im gonna grab a pressure sender at the autoparts store today after work and try to swap it out before i drive 200 miles out of town. But given that there are no other symptoms, would you guys say that its likely just the gauge/wire/connection? or can 6psi just sneak up on you and kill your engine? I always imagined oil pressure that low would be very apparent. The oil is right in its normal range on the dipstick btw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2015, 11:19 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Remember stock Guage is just an idiot light. You could test the sending unit if you checked it with a voltmeter making sure resistance is steady. If not that may be your issue. Not sure if a failing oil pump would cause these symptoms though.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FanOfSkynyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:40 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Oil pressure sending unit. Change it. Does it drop to zero at idle. Also make sure there isn't oil on the sending unit plug itself.
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2015, 08:43 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Changed it today. And there was oil in the plug. Cleaned it and installed the new one. So far so good. But havent had the chance to give it a full test yet

Sent from my LG-D800 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 05-23-2015, 08:43 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Mine hasn't worked since I bought the car the battery or the temperature either.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
alecas447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:45 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
Changed it today. And there was oil in the plug. Cleaned it and installed the new one. So far so good. But havent had the chance to give it a full test yet

Sent from my LG-D800 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Your problems fixed!
Old 05-23-2015, 08:47 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecas447 View Post
Mine hasn't worked since I bought the car the battery or the temperature either.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Pull the bezel make sure all connections are plugged in. Check fuses.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:52 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
The stock gauge is an on-off switch. At 6 psi it goes to "normal" and below 6 psi it goes to 0.

Best advice I can give here is to get an aftermarket oil gauge. You don't have to pony up a ton of $$$ for an Autometer Cobalt or anything, I like Speedhut and the prices are fair and the gauges look GREAT. Aftermarket guage will tell you exactly what PSI you are at and you can T the oil press sender to keep the stock gauge from being dead if you want.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:54 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Automater cobalt here. Besides the aeroforce. Worth the $

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT