GT hood scoop for venting hot air - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-23-2015, 10:53 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
GT hood scoop for venting hot air

I have never done any body mods on Abigail, the '04 rag top GT. I was looking into what I can do the reduce the engine bay temperature. I was looking at louvers and an AM hood that is supposed to do this.

I occurred to me the scoop might help. I was considering turning 180 degrees and cutting a hole under it.

This seems like it might to a couple of things: allow hot air under pressure to escape out the low pressure area directly behind the scoop, and to look interesting and not fake.

I was also thinking about leaving it facing forward. This simplifies the job but it seems more likely to get rain and dirt in it.

I would like to hear what people have done and reactions to what I might do.

Thanks.
04RagTopGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2015, 10:55 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Find a cowl hood for it
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:33 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Some guys have tried removing the honeycomb and cutting a hole in the hood to allow fresh air to enter... A lot of those guys have also had their hood scoops blow off on the freeway!
The honeycomb is what anchors the front of the hood scoop to the hood.
As far as turning the scoop around? There will be a big gap in the front recess on the hood where the honeycomb was previously filling it in.

A quality aftermarket hood is the way to go if you want a functional hood scoop.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2015, 05:34 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I was interested in venting engine heat. I have a CAI and am going to wrap the exhaust, the floor pan gets hot, I thought the hood scoop might do it but you are correct. There is no way to get this to work with the stock hood and scoop. Thanks guys.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:58 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RagTopGT View Post
I was interested in venting engine heat. I have a CAI and am going to wrap the exhaust, the floor pan gets hot, I thought the hood scoop might do it but you are correct. There is no way to get this to work with the stock hood and scoop. Thanks guys.
Use a cowl hood
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:03 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

As soon as I can convince the Boss....
Old 05-23-2015, 06:59 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RagTopGT View Post
As soon as I can convince the Boss....
We all know how that goes!

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:28 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Good luck
GTgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:36 PM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

You can drill holes through the honeycomb and then cut the hole in the hood. Just don't remove the honeycomb unless you want to lose the scoop.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:05 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
What, may I ask, makes you think your underhood temps are too high? Do you have an aftermarket water temp gauge to actually tell you how hot the engine is getting? That should be your first modification IMO.

As far as lowering temps. Don't **** around with the honeycomb on the stock hood, that'll just end badly. Get an aftermarket cowl or heat extractor hood and install it. The stock airbox IS A CAI, you will not lower temps anymore than they already are with an aftermarket one especially if you install a metal one and ESPECIALLY if you put in one that does not pull from the fenderwell.

As far as running a 180... no need. Stock t-stat.

Like I said, get an aftermarket water temp gauge before you get all worked up about underhood temps. Unless there is something wrong with your cooling system, you should not need to be worrying about overheating. Even in 100 degrees and in traffic.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:28 PM   #11
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Cervinis came out with a new hood that looks similar to the stock hood but the scoop is functional and it has 13/14 style heat extractors.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:36 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Cervinis came out with a new hood that looks similar to the stock hood but the scoop is functional and it has 13/14 style heat extractors.

I thought that was still in testing or whatever.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:46 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

The system seems to be fine. The foot wells are quite warm probably due to the cats. There are 2 things I thought might help this. The first is wrapping the pipes to get heat out the tailpipe. This won't change the temp of the cat but it should help shave a few degrees off everything else in the area that is dumping heat into the floor pan. The second is I think reducing the heat under the hood could increase the lifespan of the plastic and wiring components.

At this point it is clear messing with the "intake" on the hood will likely not end well so that is not going to happen.

The louvers seem like they might get me the result I am looking for though. I saw some things that might work at HoodLouvers.com.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:54 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
I cut a hole in my hood and never flew off, but I wouldn't do it. If you want it cooler in the bay buy a cowl hood so heat can escape the bay. The hood scoops were originally for carbs intakes to catch air and flow into the engine. When you cut a hole in our scoops just to catch air it doesn't do much except maybe keep the motor cooler by a few degrees which isn't noticeable plus it is very likely for it to fly off on a freeway. The hood scoop is for looks not functional if you want a functional hood scoop buy the shaker kit or cowl hood. Cutting holes in the stock hood is gonna look like crap and ghetto as heck. Do it right the first time. Plus water and dirt gets in your engine bay even with filters over the holes. It's just a no go all the way.

2004 Mustang GT 5 Speed Full Bolt On 370rwhp 440rwtq
12.1 @ 117.9 (1.7) in 1/4th
7.6 @ 92.1 (1.6) in 1/8th
Speed_Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:32 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I have to admit to being more than a little leery about cutting holes in my baby's hood. The Terminator hood (Mustang Heat Extractor Style Hood at .com (99-04 All) - Free Shipping) looks like a good option as does the cowl. It will mean more saving and less instant gratification. This forum is good for my character

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT