Problem With Speed Cal - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-26-2015, 01:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Problem With Speed Cal

So today I go to install my new MGW short throw shifter, and I discover that the previous owner had put a Mustang Speed Calibrator on the car. So, i move it to the side so I can work, taking note of how he had the wires under the dust boot, and went along with the install. Shifter went on easy, and i got everything buttoned up real neat, and decided to take it for a spin. Well, My speedo doesn't move now, the Traction control button lit up, and my odometer had switched to dots. So my question is, How do i either 1) Fix this stupid thing. Or 2) Get rid of this stupid thing. Kind of irritated because the shifter was really the first time I've done any wrenching without the help of my dad, and everything went so smoothly up until the whole speedometer crapping out happened. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2015, 01:38 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
First thing to do is fine out what the codes are. Get those and we can get started on possible fixes.
And man don't sweat it. We were all beginners at one time. Best way to learn is doing it. And most of the first time jobs you'll mess up, it's natural. The first time I wrenched by myself was replacing the heater core in my 65 Impala, first heater core job I did too. And I screwed up big time, nearly busted the firewall, wheel well, and front fender. I was furious, I did some light damage to the car. But it's not going to change anything being upset; wish someone told me that. I still get irritated about it.

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Ehh, i don't blame myself on this one too much. The speed cal wiring is so damn sloppy inside there it's ridiculous. it was bound to happen!However, I'm not sure what codes you're referring to. If it's cel codes, there are none that have popped up. The speedo is literally just sitting at zero. Originally I had thought I pinched a wire or something when installing the dust boot, so i removed it, cut a small hole through the boot, and ran the wires through so they aren't being pinched down. Haven't retested to see if that was the cause yet, because It's now raining.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2015, 05:32 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I'd remove it and re-install it yourself so you know it was done properly.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:13 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Truth be told, I don't really even need it in there. I have a Bama tune that should be calibrating it. I was never told about the calibrator when I bought the car, and only just found it when installing my new shifter. I also really have no idea how this thing is hooked up, or how to remove it.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:16 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Its wired inline after the VSS sensor. Basically it intercepts the VSS signal and converts the incoming pulses per mile (PPM) to 8000 which is what the computer expects.

I swapped in a 3650 to my 98 last year and I had to have an extended range speedcal or the speedo would never work. I think it was converting something like 36,000 OSS pulses to 8,000 VSS pulses lol.

To remove you just... well you just remove it and make sure the VSS wires are good and roll.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 03:54 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I had my first day off in a solid 7 days today, so I took a peak under the car to see what everything looked like. Now, I'm not very experienced working with wiring, or anything mechanical for that matter. So I had no idea how to decipher the directions, and what got wired to what. So Long story short, I had a hunch that somehow i messed up the power wire while installing the shifter, because that's all i really moved when installing it. I respliced the power wires, and that did absolutely nothing. Then my dad tested to see if I was even getting power to the wire, and it wasn't. Somehow I blew the fuse to the cigarette lighter. And after replacing it, everything is working as it should.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT