Vortech supercharger install question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-28-2015, 10:44 AM   #1

Vortech supercharger install question

Hey guys how are you all? So I decided to build me a superchar/vortech... And I've got all the supporting items needed except the head unit... For 550... Thanks to Craigslist, now aside from the head unit... I would like to know if I'm only looking to run 5-6boost to start off with because of budget. I would like to know can I get away with using everything stock as far as fuel injectors, pump, & maf? And if not can I suffice one fore the other for example! Larger fuel injectors but stock pump and maf...etc l, oh by the way I have a Bama tuner and American muscle does supercharger custome tunes now, I know a dyno I preferred, but I plan on doing these things as far as upgrading everything eventually. Just want to be on the road with this thing and be okay... Oh BTW I have a late 2001 Mustang gt with the pink fuel injectors. 3.73, 75mm TB & plen, off road H, flowmaster super 10. Thanks any input would be appreciated, in talks with get a Toltec head unit for $600 so $ 1100 for everything... Oh BTW I'm installing myself pretty easy, and non intercooler. Only part I bought brand new was was oil lines and short metal tube for water hose mod.
Treyvon1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2015, 10:58 AM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Going to need injectors and a pump for sure. Stock MAF will start pegging too so that'll need to be upgraded. Preferred MAF setup is a 05+ slot style setup. Poweradder solutions sells a MAF kit with the slot style MAF, weld on bung and pigtail for $240 shipped. On3 also has one for $224.

I would not trust bama to tune a supercharged app and they may not do one for you unless you buy the whole Vortech kit from them anyway.

Would not recommend running more than 5 or 6 psi on a non intercooled app.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:12 AM   #3

So how long do you think before the maf gives out? And besides 42lb injectors... What other sizes do you think can work with a upgraded pump?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2015, 01:09 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

42s are fine, use a SVT Focus pump. The MAF will peg at 5500 rpm or therabouts so you won't even get to tune it properly. The MAFs up to 04 use sampling tubes which are holdover tech from the 80s, anyone running a blower would be wise to upgrade to the slot style 05+ setup.

I know you are trying to do this as cheap as possible but there are just certain things you are going to have to do to make it run correctly. If you don't have the money to do it right, consider putting those brackets in storage until you do. I mean a good S trim headunit alone is going to be $800+ for one that is a recent rebuild or low miles.

What sort of budget are we working with here?

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:33 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

The lowest injector u could get away with is 31# ones for low boost but if ur gonna spend the $ then may as well just get the 42# green tops so u wont have fuel issues at all , u need a better maf u can get a 90mm lightning maf for around 100 and it wont peg at ur power level ( mine didnt at 450 hp ) and u absolutely need a dyno tune do not try a email tune because u usually have to datalog and send in the logs and it takes several logs/tunes to get it right and all it takes is for u to be in it and it lean out and pop goes the motor... And btw u should invest in a a/f gauge because when ur blown knowing ur a/f is critical

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
thyreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:45 PM   #6

I appreciate that I kinda want to start at 6 or 8 psi nothing to high... I have two cars a 4 cylinder tbh I just want to start with 350ish rwhp/containable lol... And I bought a lightning 90mm for $30 earlier today off of Craigslist with tube/and I ordered a warblo fuel pump today also., I'm probably gonna put that in when I get it, the fuel pump that is lol. I'm gonna buy fuel injectors new... I think lol. And the guy I was gonna get the head unit from sold it after having it for sale for 3weeks and someone magically wanted it. smh
Old 05-28-2015, 09:04 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yep, wideband is a must have not a "nice thing to have". You can get these tuned remotely TBTH. Any good tuner will have it on the conservative side for the initial driving tune. Then you can either keep going with the remote tuner or drive the car to a local dyno that you trust and have them work it.

edit: I guarantee that dude still has that headunit btw. Probably went on a few forums and saw what they are actually worth and said "**** $600". They did used to go for that price but when superchargersonline started letting people piece together kits for $1200 including a $500 headunit the prices shot up.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:15 PM   #8

Okay so let see if I'm totally understanding you! So if I don't want like an outrageous power boost off bat but just conservative like Daily driver.. I could possibly get away with the custom Bama tune? For they have custom tune options for maf/fuel injectors... Etc on their custome tune sheet now. And like you say I should get a/f gauge. So if everything adds up right do you think I could get by?
Old 05-28-2015, 09:53 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

If bama is going to actually take your datalogs and burn you a custom tune specifically for your car and not a canned tune from "19 questions" then maybe.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:59 PM   #10

Okay, I totally understand now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT