Wanted to keep stock but guess I can't - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-01-2015, 05:01 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Wanted to keep stock but guess I can't

So I took a look at the filter for the first time the other day as I was trying to figure out why the car wouldn't start. And the filter well let's just say looks pretty ****ty.

This has been beat to death but
I wanted to keep the car as stock as possible but I guess I'm going to have to start on the modding with the intake.

So a new filter is about 30-50 bucks at the local auto parts. But I looked at AM site and they have one for like 80?
Sr I believe, but it goes an the fender well? Pros and cons of that? I've heard it isn't a great idea to have the filter there. I figured I might as well get the cold air intake for 80 vs a 40 filter by itself. Opinions and suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
alecas447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2015, 05:11 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
If you want to keep it stock why not just buy a stock paper filter for 10-15 dollars?

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I vote for the stock paper filter. You can get a k&n for around 40. I had a SR intake and took it off, their not made very well. If you go aftermarket i wouldnt go SR

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2015, 05:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I'm using a drop in k&n temporarily and it seems to breathe quite a lot better than those ragged paper ones!

Ryan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:02 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Don't waste your money on those SR CAI. They're crap and only pull heat soaked air in. Also. Their chrome finish rusts very quickly. The stock air intake is a CAI. And a very well designed one at that. Either a motorcraft filter or K&N reusable one. I have the K&N one and paid $35 for it at Oreillys with a coupon and military discount. Works very well so far.

Sent from the mothership.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:15 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater2111 View Post
Don't waste your money on those SR CAI. They're crap and only pull heat soaked air in. Also. Their chrome finish rusts very quickly. The stock air intake is a CAI. And a very well designed one at that. Either a motorcraft filter or K&N reusable one. I have the K&N one and paid $35 for it at Oreillys with a coupon and military discount. Works very well so far.

Would be any different? If say I decide to get a tune or something?

Old 06-01-2015, 07:47 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

As far as the CAI? Not so much unless you get a JLT CAI. Even with a tune it won't net you enough to feel in your seat.

Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:53 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I'm definitely gonna go with an airaid CAI as soon as I can

Old 06-01-2015, 11:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
The previous owner of my car thought it'd be a brilliant idea to hack up the stock intake to make a "ram air" style cold air intake, and slap a cheap filter on the end and just call it a day. So all it's really doing right now is sucking in hot engine bay air. I purchased the black SR CAI, for like 80 bucks. Any fender well is better than an engine bay intake, imo. All cold air intakes are pretty much the same, so I figured i'd slap a cheap one on to see how it goes. But as for a fender well filter, vs a bay filter, the fender well filter really isn't bad. Just don't go driving in deep puddles and you'll be fine. I personally like the fender filter better, just because it's actually got access to colder air.

PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:29 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

But also with engine bay CAIs you gotta remember you have a heat shield for a reason, although you'll get colder air in the fender it's not as bad under the hood with a heat shield

Old 06-01-2015, 11:38 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoyV6 View Post
The previous owner of my car thought it'd be a brilliant idea to hack up the stock intake to make a "ram air" style cold air intake, and slap a cheap filter on the end and just call it a day. So all it's really doing right now is sucking in hot engine bay air. I purchased the black SR CAI, for like 80 bucks. Any fender well is better than an engine bay intake, imo. All cold air intakes are pretty much the same, so I figured i'd slap a cheap one on to see how it goes. But as for a fender well filter, vs a bay filter, the fender well filter really isn't bad. Just don't go driving in deep puddles and you'll be fine. I personally like the fender filter better, just because it's actually got access to colder air.

I'm in Florida and it rains a lot not sure if that would make a difference

Old 06-02-2015, 12:30 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Wanted to keep stock but guess I can't

Don't bother buying a cheap $80 sr, bbk, or any other metal intake, you're better off buying a k&n filter and keeping the stock intake or buying a JLT or Induction Products intake which are ~$260. Keep in mind the stock intake is a cold air intake and it works better than most aftermarket intakes you see. Dyno's have proven this fact also. Just buy a $40 k&n filter and call it a day. 😎

2004 Mustang GT 5 Speed Full Bolt On 370rwhp 440rwtq
12.1 @ 117.9 (1.7) in 1/4th
7.6 @ 92.1 (1.6) in 1/8th
Speed_Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:33 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoyV6 View Post

I would have done the same in your situation or tried to find a used oem one. The sr will be good for you application but i wouldnt use it if your stock one is fine

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:44 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

in florida your fine. if your car isnt lowered, then they filter is still pretty high up. now im curious, you havent looked at your filter until now? I run a short ram intake with a c&l tube and a k&n filter. I switched back to the stock for a little while, and really didn't notice any difference. Might have shaved off like, a 16th of a second from a 1/4 mile time. But even with a tune, (which i dont have) it wont add much horsepower to be worth what you spend on it. Most people (who know what they are doing) get them for sound, or looks. the only restriction on the stock setup is the little tube that goes into the fenderwell. its more narrow than the rest of the tubing, but its not holding back any hp.

as long as you dont drive in floods, florida rain wont do much. and ive driven through our yearly florida monsoons on several occasions. (both this car, and my old car with a fender mounted cai)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT