Longtube headers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-01-2015, 06:14 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Longtube headers

Hi mustang community,

I am ordering my longtube headers tonight and i was wondering which gaskets you guys would recommend.

I also heard about these stage 8 header bolts, are they any good? Do you have any experience with them?

What else should i replace when dropping the k member?

thanks.
robin_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2015, 12:22 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Ford racing gasket and the bolts that come with the headers do fine if you can hand tighten them up really tight to were they won't back out. Make sure you put them in by hand a few threads. Don't want to cross thread. Lol

Some say it's a good idea to do motor mounts bushing when you lift up the engine and take the k-member off.

2004 Mustang GT 5 Speed Full Bolt On 370rwhp 440rwtq
12.1 @ 117.9 (1.7) in 1/4th
7.6 @ 92.1 (1.6) in 1/8th
Speed_Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:32 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed_Mister View Post
Ford racing gasket and the bolts that come with the headers do fine if you can hand tighten them up really tight to were they won't back out. Make sure you put them in by hand a few threads. Don't want to cross thread. Lol

Some say it's a good idea to do motor mounts bushing when you lift up the engine and take the k-member off.

Thanks for your response

I will try the ford racing gasket and i hope its gonna hold up well haha

Yeah i think im gonna do the motor mounts while im in there. Should i go poly or just stay urethane? I heard that poly are too stiff and are annoying when daily driving the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2015, 08:20 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
It should hold up that's what I used and 30,000 miles later NO leaks. Just tighten them bolts hella tight.

And I would do poly mounts since it's gonna be more solid and you'll be up in there already. There is a lot of people that are very anal about the poly motor mounts and the ridged feeling, but they help out a lot. So it'd be up to you.

12.1 @ 117.9 (1.7) in 1/4th
7.6 @ 92.1 (1.6) in 1/8th
Speed_Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:28 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I'd replace your starter with a mini high torque starter otherwise if your starter goes bad you'll be taking out passenger side header just to get it out. With a mini high torque starter you'll still be able to service it without removing the header. I say this because my starter went bad weeks after putting on my LTs.

Yellastang03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:30 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

With that I'd say only install the 2 bottom starter mount bolts as well. The 3rd is a bit** to get to and will hold just fine with 2.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:40 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellastang03 View Post
I'd replace your starter with a mini high torque starter otherwise if your starter goes bad you'll be taking out passenger side header just to get it out. With a mini high torque starter you'll still be able to service it without removing the header. I say this because my starter went bad weeks after putting on my LTs.

True the mini starters seem kinda expensive will this one do just fine or is it too big to clear the headers?
http://www.americanmuscle.com/starte...rce=igodigital

Old 06-02-2015, 12:30 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

That's a OE design so it will be the same size. You don't need a mini it would just be easier to service if needed.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:41 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Anything after 93 was technically a "high torque mini" starter from the factory. There is no need to change it out. If you are that worried about heat soak then wrap the headers in that area but I never had a problem with longtubes soaking a 94+ factory starter.

As far as mounts. You want Energy Suspension or don't bother. They are pricier than the ones on AM/LRS/Ebay yes, there is a reason for that. They use a MUCH better compound and made in USA vs Chinese copypasta. They also perfectly mimic the stock rubber mounts as far as how high the motor sits which ensures your driveline/pinion angles will not change. Prothane and the knock offs are known to sit the engine up higher.

If you want to do all the way around you can get both motor mounts and the trans mount for $210 or so on Summit or Jegs. I had all Energy suspension in my 98 and you get a very slight increase in NVH but its not anything uncomfortable.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/en.../model/mustang

If you want to do just the motor mounts then they sell them with just those too for $150.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/en.../model/mustang

Energy suspension vs stock pic below

I will say that it is a total ***** to do the mounts with the motor still in the car and the K in place so if you are dropping the K member then now is the time to do it. I'm putting them in my 2000 as well while I have the motor out.

As far as the stage 8 locking bolts... They really aren't needed with 96+ stud setup. The nuts don't back off the studs like the bolts for the 95-down cars would. However, I did have them on my 95 and they work spectacularly well. Get the gasket on, tighten them up working from the middle out and USE A TORQUE WRENCH going to minimum spec torque. Then start putting the collars on the bolts and see how much further you need to go with each one to have the metal collar touching the primary to keep it from moving. The new versions of these bolts have 12 point collars so its very easy to do vs the old style. I may also do the stage 8s on this modular just for peace of mind TBTH. Again, easy to do while the motor is out or the K is dropped.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:49 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Anything after 93 was technically a "high torque mini" starter from the factory. There is no need to change it out. If you are that worried about heat soak then wrap the headers in that area but I never had a problem with longtubes soaking a 94+ factory starter.

As far as mounts. You want Energy Suspension or don't bother. They are pricier than the ones on AM/LRS/Ebay yes, there is a reason for that. If you want to do all the way around you can get both motor mounts and the trans mount for $210 or so on Summit or Jegs. I had all Energy suspension in my 98 and you get a very slight increase in NVH but its not anything uncomfortable.

Energy suspension vs stock pic below

I will say that it is a total ***** to do the mounts with the motor still in the car and the K in place so if you are dropping the K member then now is the time to do it. I'm putting them in my 2000 as well while I have the motor out.

As far as the stage 8 locking bolts... They really aren't needed with 96+ stud setup. The nuts don't back off the studs like the bolts for the 95-down cars would. However, I did have them on my 95 and they work spectacularly well. Get the gasket on, tighten them up working from the middle out and USE A TORQUE WRENCH going to minimum spec torque. Then start putting the collars on the bolts and see how much further you need to go with each one to have the metal collar touching the primary to keep it from moving. The new versions of these bolts have 12 point collars so its very easy to do vs the old style. I may also do the stage 8s on this modular just for piece of mind TBTH. Again, easy to do while the motor is out or the K is dropped.
hey thanks for the response.
i will definitely replace the starter because mine already has a couple miles on it and feels kinda weak once the car gets to operating temperature.
I am going to order the energy suspension motor mounts tonight.
i am also going to get the stage 8 bolts just as an extra piece of mind.
So are the ford racing header gaskets that they sell on AM good? i heard that the bassani gaskets are really good.
thanks
Old 06-02-2015, 12:51 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I did a few edits to the above post. The Ford gaskets are fine. Shot you links on where to order from Summit, that is going to be your best price. If you want mounts with red urethane they have those instead of black.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:56 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I did a few edits to the above post. The Ford gaskets are fine. Shot you links on where to order from Summit, that is going to be your best price. If you want mounts with red urethane they have those instead of black.
awesome thanks for the links and the advice

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT