2003 GT hole in manifold... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-02-2015, 10:03 AM   #1

Region: New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to ChaudMasterFlex Send a message via Yahoo to ChaudMasterFlex
2003 GT hole in manifold...

So I have a 2003 GT convertible that was at a shop getting a new top installed. I get a call the other day stating that when they went to start the car it backfired and blew a baseball sized hole in the intake manifold (near the water pump). The only mods I have on the vehicle are an intake, Accufab TB/elbow, and it was tuned at another shop. The car ran fine prior to this. There are no open recalls on this car either. I tried perusing the web earlier to find an answer, but to no avail. Trying to get an idea on how plausible this could be? Thanks.
ChaudMasterFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2015, 10:08 AM   #2

If your talking about passenger side where the water tube hooks up to manifold right by spark plugs then it's a normal issue, I was driving last month no problem until I was leaving work to go home then all of the sudden car started blowing steam and I had to get a intake manifold, so yes if that's what happened it can happen anytime anywhere, I have a 2002 gt

Sent from my SM-N910T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Treyvon1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:10 AM   #3

And the back the firing would be from water probably sneaking into rear spark plug hole because it so close and when the tube breaks the water Flys everywhere

Sent from my SM-N910T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2015, 10:34 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to ChaudMasterFlex Send a message via Yahoo to ChaudMasterFlex
That makes me feel a little better. Just hoping this isn't some kind of catastrophic failure.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:38 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Same thing happened to me a couple months back. You just have to replace the intake manifold and if you have basic mechanical skills/tools you can install it yourself it is pretty straight forward just print out the step by step installation instructions they even come with pictures. I upgraded at the same time by getting the ford racing intake manifold from american muscle which is like $200. Just make sure to get new gaskets and to clean the engine off because there is probably coolant all over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
robin_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:42 AM   #6

Oh btw to make it cheap on yourself go to Google and look up advanced auto parts coupons and order the intake online to pick up at store and, I think they still have the 40% off one online still if I'm not mistaken, but there's plenty of coupons, Do NOT BUY A USED ONE, for the same thing will happen soon, just buy new or if you're into modding upgrade. But save yourself hassle and go to advanced oh btw, their manifold look better than the ones that came stock anyways... Just a little fyi
Old 06-02-2015, 12:17 PM   #7

Yeah, I believe AM has it for $200.00
Old 06-02-2015, 12:23 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
No it's $215. DO NOT BUY THE $200 ONE OR A PARTS STORE MANIFOLD. Buy the Ford Racing one ONLY. Definitely do not buy one from Advance Auto lol. That is the Dorman...

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:24 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
No it's $215. DO NOT BUY THE $200 ONE OR A PARTS STORE MANIFOLD. Buy the Ford Racing one ONLY. Definitely do not buy one from Advance Auto lol. That is the Dorman...

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Yeah i can only agree with that i don't trust these auto part stores when it comes to parts like these.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 06-02-2015, 12:33 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Its not that they'll give you the "wrong" part, the auto parts stores do not carry the FRPP manifold. They carry a knock off from Dorman that does not flow like the OEM/FRPP manifolds, you are basically bolting on a "NPI" manifold if you buy the Dorman.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:36 PM   #11

I will make sure to stay away from Dorkman.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:55 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lmao, "Dorkman"!

This is the exact one you want.

Ford Racing 4.6L Performance Improvement (PI) Mustang Intake Manifold M-9424-P46 (96-04 GT) - Free Shipping

Also consider upgrading the Plenum and TB while you are at it. I recommend Trick Flow for that.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:56 PM   #13

Well I do agree on some parts, and I need to make a correction I got mine from oriellys with a lifetime warranty, after they price matched advanced, sorry but I'll take my lifetime warranty anyday, 169.99.. Just saying
Old 06-02-2015, 01:04 PM   #14

I work part-time at a garage so I can get parts at cost. Funny thing is my cost on the Dorkman is $204.00 yet AM's better version is only $214.99.

Can't beat AM's price's
Old 06-02-2015, 01:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Lmao, "Dorkman"!

This is the exact one you want.

Ford Racing 4.6L Performance Improvement (PI) Mustang Intake Manifold M-9424-P46 (96-04 GT) - Free Shipping

Also consider upgrading the Plenum and TB while you are at it. I recommend Trick Flow for that.
Already have the Accufab throttle body and plenum.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:08 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaudMasterFlex View Post
I work part-time at a garage so I can get parts at cost. Funny thing is my cost on the Dorkman is $204.00 yet AM's better version is only $214.99.

Can't beat AM's price's
Yeah i would take a somewhat OE part like Ford racing any day over the advance auto part brand Dor(k)man
Old 06-02-2015, 02:21 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
This thread reminded me of a vid I saw of what can cause plastic intake manifolds to blow holes. Check out about 4 1/2 min in with the Escape pic. Real science & non-snake oil info that can keep a new manifold from blowing again!

https://youtu.be/pyqCA-7Pvh0

I'm not endorsing their product - just good info for what happened to OP.
Koryak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 02:48 PM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treyvon1987 View Post
Well I do agree on some parts, and I need to make a correction I got mine from oriellys with a lifetime warranty, after they price matched advanced, sorry but I'll take my lifetime warranty anyday, 169.99.. Just saying
Your "lifetime warranty" is costing you power and making it harder to change your spark plugs. Also the part itself is inferior. If its more important to you to have the warranty then its better for you I guess. I would not be caught dead with a Dorman on any of my cars.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koryak View Post
This thread reminded me of a vid I saw of what can cause plastic intake manifolds to blow holes. Check out about 4 1/2 min in with the Escape pic. Real science & non-snake oil info that can keep a new manifold from blowing again!

https://youtu.be/pyqCA-7Pvh0

I'm not endorsing their product - just good info for what happened to OP.
Great video BTW. I always knew that the ethanol in gasoline is a serious issue, but never realized how bad it can get.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT