Just purchased 02 Roush 360R - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-03-2015, 01:22 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Just purchased 02 Roush 360R

Hello all, I've been on the forums for several years and I have just purchased a 360R and am wondering what good modds I can do to it and where to find parts for it at? I've heard a smaller pully and BBK cold air intake are great modds but Roush says you have to make sure the cold air intake work with it. Any good ideas or information would be great. Also, is there a way to get the papers from Roush?

Btw. I have also had a 01 v6 a long time ago and was in an accident and I also have a 1967 mustang that I will be selling as I am giving up on the project.
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2015, 01:24 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

18k all original miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1433312612043.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	183993   Click image for larger version

Name:	1433312638322.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	183994  

Old 06-03-2015, 03:20 PM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Roush is right, do not put any random air intake on it. Also, BBK is going to be crap, don't mess up a real low mileage low numbers car by putting BBK/SR/SVE garbage on it PLEASE.

Is this car "stock" from Roush or what?

Also there were only 141 of those made in 02 IIRC. 80 White like yours and then 61 red.

As far as mods...

-75mm Throttle body (Summit Racing one for $160)
-JLT intake
-Aftermarket mid pipe (UPR is actually USA made for this and very good)
-Catback of choice
-Pulley to take it to 8 PSI
-Dyno tune

Should make right around 400whp. Just remember that M90 is going to be spinning its *** off at that point and the car will heat soak pretty easy. That said, if you are used to basic bolt on 2V cars or your V6, this will be a monster for you. Nice pickup!
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2015, 05:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I knew it was a very rare car. I got an amazing deal. The previous owner wanted it to go to someone that will respect the car for what it is. It is "stock" from Roush. Meaning nothing extra done other than what Roush has done to it.

Will the throttle body work with it as it is supercharged or does that not matter? (I know a decent amount about cars and especially mustangs but I am totally new to the supercharged world)
I will definitely look for the jlt intake. Will just a regular GT one do?
And I'm having trouble finding a source for the pulley from the 440a to bring the boost up. I'm also worried if the block can handle that.

Thank you for the advice. Great help. I practically stole the car gaga. I have had a 2001 v6 and I daily drive a 5.4l f150 so this thing is already a total screamer for me. Haha. I am in love with it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-03-2015, 06:14 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky

Good color combo! I looked at one of those, very nice cars! People think 360hp isn't stout, well these cars are fast. Those Roush 2Vs are very underrated.

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:31 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you! It does look good. Never had a white car before. People almost always think it's fake or a v6 with a body kit. I have to explain to everybody and show then the engine for them to believe me. Or just hit the gas haha. They are seriously underrated. I have people tell me all the time "360 horsepower, is that all?" But the car hooks really well with the fat Nittos on it

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

Very impressed with the 2v engine.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:33 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Do you guys think it's sinful to lightly mod this? Headers, full exhaust, quality intake? I'll leave gears alone. I just would hate to mess up the rarity of the car. I would also like to add a boost gauge and air /fuel to be safe. Again I'm afraid of modifying it due to decreasing value

Old 06-05-2015, 12:07 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Does not need headers. Mid pipe and catback are all you need. Gears I would for sure do if they aren't already. Its not like you couldn't put it back to the stock gears if you really wanted to. Air intake should be the JLT, again you can keep the stock parts in a box if you ever wanted to put it back.

I would for DAMN sure get a wideband/fuel pressure/boost gauge in there ASAP as well as oil press/water temp. The fact that these cars didn't come with boost/wideband/fuel at least is ridiculous. I have a supercharged Steeda GT numbered car that didn't come with a wideband either... no idea...

Again, gauges are something you can remove if you want it to be "bone stock" for a sale. And all of these things would add to the value of the car. Keep all the stock parts in storage to include with the car if you ever sell it or in the event you do put the car back to stock.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:00 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Does not need headers. Mid pipe and catback are all you need. Gears I would for sure do if they aren't already. Its not like you couldn't put it back to the stock gears if you really wanted to. Air intake should be the JLT, again you can keep the stock parts in a box if you ever wanted to put it back.

I would for DAMN sure get a wideband/fuel pressure/boost gauge in there ASAP as well as oil press/water temp. The fact that these cars didn't come with boost/wideband/fuel at least is ridiculous. I have a supercharged Steeda GT numbered car that didn't come with a wideband either... no idea...

Again, gauges are something you can remove if you want it to be "bone stock" for a sale. And all of these things would add to the value of the car. Keep all the stock parts in storage to include with the car if you ever sell it or in the event you do put the car back to stock.
Thanks for the reply, I will definitely be keeping anything I take off of it. I decided against gears becuase acceleration is already pretty crazy and it already can spin easily so I figured even 3.73 would be too much gear. My friend drove it and said he missed having stock gears lol.

The exhaust pipe from the manifold looks extremely small in my opinion plus headers on these apparently make huge power. I think the first think I will do is the fuel/air and boost gauge. Problem is I can't find a gauge pillar or an 02. They stop at 01 it seems. Do you think oil pressure and water temp are crucial?

Old 06-05-2015, 12:03 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Also, the install for the gauges looks complicated. Is it a good idea to have a professional do it if I'm not electrically inclined?

Old 06-05-2015, 12:10 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Nice find Joshy!

I think that you will be ok doing some "tasteful" mods. Just don't go crazy, and do only what is necessary to accomplish your immediate goals. Hang on to all of the parts that you remove.
The school of thought that the car will be returned to stock someday is generally flawed. Most of the time, when someone sells a car, they are done with it! Ready to move on to the next vehicle, it is unlikely that any of the parts will be exchanged for the stock ones.
The "tuner" cars are full of aftermarket parts, so modding them is keeping with the theme of the car anyways.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:11 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

My car is the same way. Everyone thinks it a V6 with a body kit, or it has a 427 in it.

Adventure till you drop
Old 06-05-2015, 12:11 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Whoever told you headers make huge power was probably reading something on the internet. With a supercharger you do not need more than the stock manifolds on the stock internal motor. The terminator guys run the stock manifolds up to the 600hp range just to illustrate.

Definitely swap the mid pipe and definitely do a catback. For a gauge pillar, send yours out to Speed of Sound

Speed of Sound gauge pillars, pods, and switch panels for the Ford Mustang

And all the 99-02 A pillars are the same, 03/04 is different.

IMO, oil and water are crucial because the stock oil press gauge is literally an on/off switch at 6 psi an the stock water gauge tells you nothing because you have no idea what the actual temp is when the needle is on "R". Or whatever...

Gauges should be:

-Oil press
-Water temp
-Fuel press
-Boost
-Wideband

For gears... well with a better suspension setup you can utilize steeper gears but for a positive displacement setup making 400hp or so the 3.27s will be fine. Or do the suspension and go 3.55s.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:35 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Nice find Joshy!

I think that you will be ok doing some "tasteful" mods. Just don't go crazy, and do only what is necessary to accomplish your immediate goals. Hang on to all of the parts that you remove.
The school of thought that the car will be returned to stock someday is generally flawed. Most of the time, when someone sells a car, they are done with it! Ready to move on to the next vehicle, it is unlikely that any of the parts will be exchanged for the stock ones.
The "tuner" cars are full of aftermarket parts, so modding them is keeping with the theme of the car anyways.
Thank you! Yeah you're probably right about that. I'm just making sure what I do sticks to the feel of the car.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:37 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
My car is the same way. Everyone thinks it a V6 with a body kit, or it has a 427 in it.

Adventure till you drop
Haha. I bet you do get that a lot. I have a question, how do you go about insurance on these? Becuase insurance companies only see then as GT's. If something did happen I wouldn't get what it is worth.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:40 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

The guy telling me they make huge power has a twin turbo GT with a built 4v. His was supercharged before that. Either way long tubes sound great compared to a manifold.

I'll look into those gauges. Going to be one expensive job. Haha

Old 06-05-2015, 01:26 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy View Post
Haha. I bet you do get that a lot. I have a question, how do you go about insurance on these? Becuase insurance companies only see then as GT's. If something did happen I wouldn't get what it is worth.

I'm getting ready to put it on hagerty insurance. They will insure it as a Roush mustang, and cover the Roush mods done to the vehicle. One drawback is you can only drive the car an X number amount of miles per year. But yes my current insurance is covering a GT.

Adventure till you drop
Old 06-06-2015, 09:14 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm my opinion a fully stock original roush that's numbered I wouldn't mod it just to keep its value unless the upgrades are only roush parts kinda like an investment great car by the way

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:41 AM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

^ this. Which if it was mine, it would stay original, that's just me. Only one mod I'd do is Roush hood struts. I hate hood stands with a passion.

Adventure till you drop
Old 06-06-2015, 01:04 PM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
Absolutely beautiful car bro! Get us some more pics. These guys are telling you right. Getting great advice.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:25 PM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

^ I second that, more pictures.

Adventure till you drop
Old 06-06-2015, 07:25 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeno View Post
Hmm my opinion a fully stock original roush that's numbered I wouldn't mod it just to keep its value unless the upgrades are only roush parts kinda like an investment great car by the way

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I just was planning on doing small bolt ons. I'm still debating. I really want a little more power. But I really hate to modify a rare car. If I do I will keep it very tasteful. I am installing a roush boost gauge for sure and a different brand air/fuel gauge. And thank you very much. I love it

---------- Post added at 06:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
^ this. Which if it was mine, it would stay original, that's just me. Only one mod I'd do is Roush hood struts. I hate hood stands with a passion.

Adventure till you drop
I do love the roush hood stands. UT wasn't sure how difficult it was or if those might hurt value

Old 06-06-2015, 07:27 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
Absolutely beautiful car bro! Get us some more pics. These guys are telling you right. Getting great advice.
Thank you very much man! I will do that. I'm about to buff it and wax it once the weather gets a little nicer here. Will get some pretty pictures then for sure. Engine bay needs a lot of love before car shows haha

Old 06-06-2015, 07:27 PM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

Mod it. If you are that worried about it make sure anything you do is reversible and keep the stock parts.

I would not drive around without a boost/fuel/wideband on a car like this just because that is not very bright IMO.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:29 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Here's a couple more. Will take more very soon!

Thank you everyone for the helpful advice and compliments. It's very appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1433636886081.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	184272   Click image for larger version

Name:	1433636916309.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	184273  

Old 06-06-2015, 07:30 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Mod it. If you are that worried about it make sure anything you do is reversible and keep the stock parts.

I would not drive around without a boost/fuel/wideband on a car like this just because that is not very bright IMO.
I know it's not. That's the first thing I'm doing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT