Cleaning My Holes! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-03-2015, 07:55 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maine
Cleaning My Holes!

I was changing my spark plugs recently and there was some **** around the coil packs, kinda under the fuel rail. Some of this **** fell in the spark plug holes.

How can I clean this out? I tried compressed air but it did not work too well. What's the best way to clean around the holes too?
Michael.s.king is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2015, 10:39 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
What like dirt and debris? Like you tried usually a good amount of air pressure will blow it out. However, if you can't get it all out usually you will be ok and will blow out once the engine is started. Change your oil asap.

Sent from the mothership.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:45 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater2111 View Post
What like dirt and debris? Like you tried usually a good amount of air pressure will blow it out. However, if you can't get it all out usually you will be ok and will blow out once the engine is started. Change your oil asap.

Would this cause any clogs anywhere in my system?

Yeah just some dirt and crap. Alright will do, thanks!

To prevent this from happening again when I change my plugs, would it be a good idea to take off my fuel rail to really clean around the COPs and stuff? I'm just not sure what taking off my fuel rail really involves so i'm wondering if that's worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2015, 11:05 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Unless we're talking big chunks most likely not. If you're really concerned about it get a shop vac and duct tape a straw to it and suck it out. But it's highly recommended to change your oil. To clean it in the future blow everything off with an air compressor before you start and before you take each spark plug out. You can apply some engine cleaner and wipe it out also.

Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:12 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater2111 View Post
Unless we're talking big chunks most likely not. If you're really concerned about it get a shop vac and duct tape a straw to it and suck it out. But it's highly recommended to change your oil. To clean it in the future blow everything off with an air compressor before you start and before you take each spark plug out. You can apply some engine cleaner and wipe it out also.

You sir are a genius, thanks for the help!
Old 06-03-2015, 11:29 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
squirt a little oil in there so its not so abrasive on your exhaust valve seats when it comes out. Also, have you tried a vacuum? take a small tube that will fit through the spark plug hole and duct tape it to the end of a shop vac hose. It might get some of it out. Then blow it with air to move **** around and then try it again. Either way its probably not going to be a big deal as long as it wasn't large amounts of sand particles. A little grime wont kill it
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:41 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
IMHO... and I might get laughed at for this. Everyone should have one of these.

DataVac Electric Duster 500 - White (4.5 Amps) : Target

I have one for cleaning out my PCs instead of paying for compressed air cans and it makes a GREAT double for cleaning out around the spark plugs when I do changes. No kidding. I just used it tonight actually as I was disassembling the 2V motor I have on my engine stand to blow all the crud out from areas my shop vac could not get.

It looks pricey but it doesn't freeze your hands like compressed air cans do, doesn't have anything potentially toxic in it, won't get weak halfway through the can and run out and since pretty much everyone has a computer these days these things are worth their weight in gold.

And word of advice, always blow all the crud off your motor when doing plugs FIRST and THEN remove the COPs and the plugs... Also when doing plugs do them one at a time, don't remove them all at once and then install them all at once, that leaves all 8 cylinders open to the air unnecessarily. I try to keep the time each cylinder is without a plug in it to a matter of as long as it takes to remove the old one and thread the new one in.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT