Camming my Moms 03 GT - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-04-2015, 09:02 PM   #36
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I'm going to have a set of real low mileage windsor cores here in a few weeks...

But yeah the MHS stock mod setup is very nice. MHS does badass porting too, like... REALLY good porting. His "stage 2" and "stage 3" heads are documented at 700+ with power adders. No need for TFS heads unless you are looking for more power than that or a max effort NA build.

Just to get by until a coyote can go in lol. I know the valve seals are on their way out. If the heads have to come out I may as well upgrade it. That way I can have a little more power and a few more rpms. $1800 for the set of heads and cams. Not including shipping. Need Romeo heads though. Tuning would be $450. Install no idea how much.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2015, 02:47 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Ive also looked into doing the mhs cams. When you price out a good used set of pi heads (in my case being a 96 this is mainly for a pi swap) getting them gone thru at a machine shop, ordering a stage 1 or 2 cam, springs, all the gaskets and goodies you dont save much at all verse buying the mhs heads all ready to bolt up. They make very very good quality stuff there from everything i have researched. If i went mhs instead of piecing it together it would only be 3-400 more or so from what i have figured out for my car. Then again do i want to spend 2500-3k with install, tune etc on a 96 GT? It would net me some nice gains but i would get more from leaving it npi and adding a vortech blower or close anyway.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 02:49 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Or cheap used pi heads, new pi intake, and then a vortech blower, lol. Too many options and never enough splurge money, haha.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2015, 10:40 AM   #39
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
You'll get a much better bang for you buck putting on a set of low mileage PI heads with the cams still in them and a PI intake and supercharging. Like I said I'll be having a real low mileage set of PI heads that look brand new here for sale hopefully in the next month or so.

In all seriousness though I would not waste my time or money with cams until one needs blower or nitrous cams for a built motor with a power adder. A basic S trim which is a "baby" blower will more than max out the stock internals with the stock PI heads/cams/intake.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 01:08 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Yea and let's remember i only have 1100$ for go fast parts I was going cams because there is no cammed 2v in my area there all noobies and dont wanna drop the money for it but if i dont go cams ill just longtube it through and redo 50% of the suspension

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
3Point7 HTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:32 PM   #41
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Suspension definitely.

HID end all thread
Old 06-05-2015, 11:21 PM   #42
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Point7 HTx View Post
Yea and let's remember i only have 1100$ for go fast parts I was going cams because there is no cammed 2v in my area there all noobies and dont wanna drop the money for it but if i dont go cams ill just longtube it through and redo 50% of the suspension

Cams are going to run more than $1100.

-$570 for "stage 2" cams
-$150 for degree service
-$50 for TFS crank gear
-$200 for .600 lift valve springs
-$100-$200 for misc gaskets/hardware
-$200 for a used tuner
-$200-$400 for a remote tune or dyno tune

And if the bolt ons and cams are the only thing you have done and no suspension work, a bolt on car making 255hp with correct suspension/gears/tires is going to leave you at a stoplight.

This does not factor in the labor to have them installed if you are not doing them youself. That's another $500+ easy.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:23 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

I have parts too exchange for extra cash all i got atm tangible

Old 06-05-2015, 11:27 PM   #44
Staff
Regular
Staff

You doing the labor yourself then or are you going to pay for the install?

Old 06-05-2015, 11:28 PM   #45
ME Bloodhound
Staff

But that lope!

If you want to do it I say go for it. It definitely isn't cheap for the gains. But you do gain some power and better top end from it.

HID end all thread
Old 06-06-2015, 12:09 AM   #46
Staff
Regular
Staff

Oh the gains are definitely there... but you are going to be paying $1500+ for a shop to do it and do it correctly. That is a LOT of money for 30whp. Like... a LOT.

Then again, this is not a cheap hobby lol.

Old 06-21-2015, 03:18 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I wouldn't cam a non PI engine.. It would be easier just to get some PI heads with the stock PI cams and throw those on there. It would also give you more power than big cams in a stock Non PI head..
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 03:20 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

I wouldn't cam a non PI engine.. It would be easy just to get some PI heads with the stock PI cams and throw those on there. It would also give you more power than big cams in a stock Non PI head..

Do suspension work and have a good clutch. That is what will actually make you faster
Old 06-21-2015, 03:22 PM   #49
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
I wouldn't cam a non PI engine.. It would be easier just to get some PI heads with the stock PI cams and throw those on there. It would also give you more power than big cams in a stock Non PI head..
Actually its been proven by multiple shops that the NPI heads are actually pretty good. Its the NPI intake and cams that eat up most of the power. NPI heads actually flow just as well as the PI heads, the PI heads make the extra power with a better overall design though. So you could definitely cam a NPI motor with a PI intake swap and have a strong 2V motor.

That said... if you are busted down far enough to get at the cams you might as well just swap the heads too since they are dirt cheap.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:00 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Actually its been proven by multiple shops that the NPI heads are actually pretty good. Its the NPI intake and cams that eat up most of the power. NPI heads actually flow just as well as the PI heads, the PI heads make the extra power with a better overall design though. So you could definitely cam a NPI motor with a PI intake swap and have a strong 2V motor.

That said... if you are busted down far enough to get at the cams you might as well just swap the heads too since they are dirt cheap.
Oh I didn't know that. But yeah if you're swapping the intake and the cams anyway, its hardly any extra work to put the PI heads on and then the intake bolts right up without any possible sketchyness
Old 06-21-2015, 04:06 PM   #51
Staff
Regular
Staff

That and the biggest deal is you bump the compression to 10.5:1 so a PI swapped 96-98 car actually will make more power than a straight up PI motor swap like my 98 had.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:13 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Definitely degree your cams, by the way. Its free horseys. Anybody have any recommended cam advance/****** positions for peak horsepower improvements? Cam timing matters

Why in the hell is R3t@rd blocked here? This is an automotive forum, that is stupid..
Old 06-21-2015, 04:34 PM   #53
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah professional degree service from cushman or mhs or someone like that.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:47 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Point7 HTx View Post
Longstory short my moms taking my 3.7 and trading it in and im getting the 03 GT (Convertible) it has 110k miles on it my dad kept it maintained and there not hard miles at all just highway my mom doesnt go above 80mph.. I wanted too do a Comp Cam 270 Stage 3 but would it be safe since its my daily driver and with the motor having loads of miles on it if i shouldnt i wont but if i can what all should i change out like the oil pump for example and injectors. And what brand should i get

If your mother is trading or returning you car to the dealer, which probably means you can't afford the payments, what makes you think you can afford several thousand dollars on a 12 year old car with 110k on it?

Save your money till you can afford a newer mustang.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:31 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah professional degree service from cushman or mhs or someone like that.
Ehh, Id say Its not that cool unless you're the only one who touched it since it was stock
Old 06-21-2015, 11:25 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

This topic has been answered be and scotty came too the conclusion of coyote swap will fit the needs and questions and too the above statement thats not the case speak on what you know

Old 06-22-2015, 07:48 AM   #57
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
If your mother is trading or returning you car to the dealer, which probably means you can't afford the payments, what makes you think you can afford several thousand dollars on a 12 year old car with 110k on it?

Save your money till you can afford a newer mustang.
What I said at the beginning of the thread... I think... If not I was thinking it loudly.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT