Blown head gasket? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-05-2015, 07:43 AM   #1

Region: Massachusetts
Blown head gasket?

I havent done very much digging into the car so I am just pulling at straws but I have a feeling something isnt quite right with my car. I purchased a 2002 Mustang GT on CL a couple weeks ago. The car has a salvage title, and was totaled because of body damage. I purchased it from someone who was sitting on it for two years and then decided it was too much of a project. I am pretty sure the car hasn't been driven in at least 3-4 years.

With that being said it fires right up, there are no check engine lights and the motor purrs like a kitten. There is an awful lot of moisture coming out of the exhaust though. Could this be a combination of crap built up in the exhaust and gas that is over three years old? There isnt any coolant in the oil and I dont see the overflow going down. I need to fix the car before I can register it and really drive it.

Yes....I know... compression/leak down test but that scares me with these engines. This is my second Ford, my first being a P71 Crown Vic, and I knew well enough that when I was attempting to change the plugs when one didnt want to come out, I just left it alone. I really dont want to be blowing out all of the spark plugs in this thing and creating another job for myself.
mickyads92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2015, 07:58 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Condensation from the exhaust is normal. That's what it should do.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:26 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
When engines are shut down for long periods of time, condensation forms in the oil and in the engine. Get it up to operating temp for about 5-10 minutes. Let the oil wash away the rust and moisture evaporate, then while it's still hot change the oil. Chances are very good it needs it. Also yea you probably should do a compression test to check the rings and make sure they didn't rust and chip away after starting after such time. That's what we're taught about airplane engines that cost a minimum of 30k to overhaul atleast.

Sent from the mothership.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2015, 11:04 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Change the plugs, change the oil with some cheap autozone conventional oil and just get it running for awhile again. Let it sit idling and get up to temp and run it up through the RPM range to blow out anything in the exhaust. Most likely its just junk in the system from sitting so long.

Also you have to realized that the gas in the tank is probably laquer at this point if you have not filled it up. If its full I would drain it and fill it up with fresh. If near empty, fill it up with fresh fuel ASAP.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:27 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Change the plugs, change the oil with some cheap autozone conventional oil and just get it running for awhile again. Let it sit idling and get up to temp and run it up through the RPM range to blow out anything in the exhaust. Most likely its just junk in the system from sitting so long.

Also you have to realized that the gas in the tank is probably laquer at this point if you have not filled it up. If its full I would drain it and fill it up with fresh. If near empty, fill it up with fresh fuel ASAP.
Also some seafoam wouldn't hurt.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:53 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Condensation.
Billgluckman is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT