What is 2003 Cobra w/5500 miles worth - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-05-2015, 04:56 PM   #1
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
What is 2003 Cobra w/5500 miles worth

I had my Mustang at my local Ford dealer this afternoon...they replaced a pinion seal in my 14 TrakPak Mustang and now there is an intermittent whine between 2/3k rpm..........anyway I was talking with one of the gentlemen there in service and he shows me pictures of his 2003 Mustang Cobra, and told me he tried to sell it a few years ago and he was only offered $13k........he has had the car since new and replaces the oil every six months, just bought a new set of tires because the OE tires were starting to crack...........it's always been stored in a heated/AC garage and covered. He even has some hard find spare parts. He said he would let it go for $25k................what do you think??????
I told him to send me more pictures (he showed me some from last month that were on his phone) and I told him I'd come over and look at the car.
Any opinions??????
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2015, 05:00 PM   #2
Kevin.Cook

Well if he has issues selling it and has only been offered 13k, maybe you could meet him in the middle at ~18k-19k. As this is all the value it has with NADA and KBB. Definitely want to inspect it though. See if it is all stock, etc.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
It depends on the color of the car and whether it is a hardtop or not, but I suppose that $25k is not unreasonable for a low mileage, mint condition, unmolested Terminator.
It is still hard to find a nice hardtop for less than $20k.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2015, 05:31 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

The young service writer was telling him it was worth $25 easy, but I had the feeling he would take low $20's.
The service manager has seen the car and it is Dark Shadow Gray. He also told me the car came with a Ford Factory Warranty until 2018. Apparently it originally came with the Ford Warranty and the owner bought the extension when the first one ran out, I didn't know you could do that with Ford Warranties. He has seen the car since new and told me it was bone stock and very, very nice.
I'm going to go look at. Not sure where I would put it, but just looking here on the West Coast they are advertised from mid to high 20's with less than 25k miles. Could be a Barrett Jackson car.................maybe, we will see. I'll post pictures when I look at it.

Yes, it is a hardtop.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:33 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The car has 5,500 miles? Yes it's worth 25k

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:34 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Well if he has issues selling it and has only been offered 13k, maybe you could meet him in the middle at ~18k-19k. As this is all the value it has with NADA and KBB. Definitely want to inspect it though. See if it is all stock, etc.
I doubt you use NADA or KBB on this car, it just doesn't apply.
He is not actively looking to sell it but we got talking about my car and he mentioned he had a 2003. I was the one that asked him if he ever thought about selling it and he told me he tried to some 2/3 years ago and the highest offer was around $13k and he decided to just keep it. After talking with Service Manager who knows the car he told me it's bone stock and extremely nice.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:35 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
The car has 5,500 miles? Yes it's worth 25k

I understand about the motor, but is that the main reason other than the low miles that it is worth $25k. What would be the max it would be worth?
Old 06-05-2015, 05:43 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
I understand about the motor, but is that the main reason other than the low miles that it is worth $25k. What would be the max it would be worth?
They were just limited production cars. So they have a high $ value still.

Max for a 5,500mile 100% stock car I would say 27k.

Old 06-05-2015, 05:47 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I paid 27 k for my 03 Cobra back when I was 17 so 8 years ago and it had about 25,000 miles.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:14 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
It's only worth what the bank will loan, if you are financing it lol. Make a serious low offer and go from there. Have a real number in mind you won't go past. They want to sell it and I'm sure have to make money on it. Make a serious offer.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 06:22 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I paid 27 k for my 03 Cobra back when I was 17 so 8 years ago and it had about 25,000 miles.

My 97 Cobra had a sticker of $26k new.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:28 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Currently trying for a cobra but as the years go by they decrease in numbers and increase in miles its my dream car but as the dude stated before sentimental value means alot but its truly only worth what a bank will give you incase **** happens but usually u can offer 2k out your own pocket of the banks limit but if it has 5500 miles thats kinda like impossible too find and Money comes and go we can die or go too jail tomorrow and cant take anything so go from there

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
3Point7 HTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 06:29 PM   #13
Kevin.Cook

I know you all are very stuck to the 25-30k range. But I have dealt with banks alot and they are very strict about not paying more then what a car is worth. Even if the enthusiasts "think" it holds extra value. Out of the 8-9 banks I have worked with, about 7 of them went by NADA value. So if you are financing this, make sure to double check with your bank. Because this may be why he only got a 13k offer, because that is all the person's bank would pay.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:30 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
It's only worth what the bank will loan, if you are financing it lol make a serious low offer and go from there. Have a real number in mind you won't go passed. They want to sell it and I'm sure have to make money on it. Make a serious offer.
I don't use banks to buy cars anymore, and yes sometimes making a low offer works...........in this instance I don't believe it would although I'll have to see the car first. The Ford service manager said if I purchased the car I could have a copy of the complete service file since it was new..................if I were to purchase the car for a short term investment.........although maybe I'd sell my 14 and keep the 03.............I don't know at this point. It's just not every day you find this kind of deal and the 03's and 04's are starting to climb skyward. and if I could realize $4/5k it could be an interesting short term investment.
Just thinking out loud.
I just have to see the car, then take it from there.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:32 PM   #15
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
I don't use banks to buy cars anymore, and yes sometimes making a low offer works...........in this instance I don't believe it would although I'll have to see the car first. The Ford service manager said if I purchased the car I could have a copy of the complete service file since it was new..................if I were to purchase the car for a short term investment.........although maybe I'd sell my 14 and keep the 03.............I don't know at this point. It's just not every day you find this kind of deal and the 03's and 04's are starting to climb skyward. and if I could realize $4/5k it could be an interesting short term investment.
Just thinking out loud.
I just have to see the car, then take it from there.
Definitely. See if he will let you take a pic so you can share.

I gotcha on the banks. Didn't realize you were coming out of pocket on it if you got it. Well, if the car is legit and nice, and you have the money, definitely buy it if it is what you want. In the end, as long as both parties are happy with their side of the deal, then it is worth it.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:47 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

I'm not sure there is much sentimental value here, he has had it since new and only put 5500 miles on it, changes oil every 6 months, bought new tires because it just sits, starts it up and drives it to town maybe once or twice every couple of months and maybe would rather have money than the car..............we will see.

When I get pictures I will send them so everyone can see. Then I'll go from there.

Thanks Everyone
Old 06-05-2015, 06:57 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Honestly if I was looking for another terminator I would be all over this like white on rice

Old 06-05-2015, 07:10 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky

It's the second most valuable new edge at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes number 1 eventually. It's incredibly popular, and get to be a desired car. Pretty much an investment you can enjoy. I say go for it. Plus it looks mean as hell, and the engine sounds amazing.

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:01 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Honestly if I was looking for another terminator I would be all over this like white on rice

Me too!
I have too many New Edges to entertain such a proposition though.

If you wanted to flip that car, Olerodder, I would think that you would need to purchase it in the very low $20k's to be able to make money on the deal.
The benefit to that car is that, at the very least, it isn't going to depreciate like your current Mustang. You could drive it and enjoy it, and if you make a little bit when you sell it... Awesome!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:33 PM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Me too!
I have too many New Edges to entertain such a proposition though.

If you wanted to flip that car, Olerodder, I would think that you would need to purchase it in the very low $20k's to be able to make money on the deal.
The benefit to that car is that, at the very least, it isn't going to depreciate like your current Mustang. You could drive it and enjoy it, and if you make a little bit when you sell it... Awesome!
Yes, I agree. I'd need to buy in at $21k.............we'll see what happens.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:55 PM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

That might offend him, just a thought. 99.9% of terminator owners are religiously proud of their cars. I've never seen any other mustang model have such loyal/proud owners, well maybe the classics.

Adventure till you drop
Old 06-05-2015, 10:04 PM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

I spent some time talking with him and looking at pictures on his cell phone. He's had it for 12 years and only driven it 5500....and he is not a collector. I've talked with him on the phone this afternoon and I'm going to go look at Monday.
I think if I offered him 15/18k...........that would offend him, but I am pretty sure after talking with him I'm going to offer $20k, and come up to $21k. I don't think he's a diehard Cobra person. He was driving a new Focus ST and said he had a "show" 63-1/2 Falcon Sprint convertible with factory 4spd. I could be wrong. He is either ready to sell or he isn't, we will see on Monday.
As they say, "Money talks and B.S. walks".
Old 06-05-2015, 10:10 PM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:

I hear what you are saying.......I like talking with people and this just came out of the blue. I really like my 14 and just starting to get it sorted out. Truthfully I really never liked the looks of the 2000 to 2004's. With that said if I can own the car for a short time and not put too many miles on it...............then flip it for a profit then maybe that will be ok. Now if it had been a 65/66 Mustang GT with factory 4spd and 289HiPo, or 63 Falcon Sprint with factory 260/4spd I would be all over it like white on rice.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:30 PM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

^ we had a 64? Falcon Futura at the shop a while back. Unfortunately, it was a straight six and an auto. But awesome car, unrestored unmolested survivor. Classics are amazing, I was born in the wrong generation!

Adventure till you drop
Old 06-05-2015, 10:42 PM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

A friend I've known for 50 years has a beautiful "Real Deal" 63-1/2 V8 4spd Sprint Convertible..................very nice!
If the guy had said this was the car he wanted to sell, my Mustang would be sitting outside and the Falcon would be in the garage.
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2015, 10:47 PM   #26
Registered Member

Regular

Yea, my Impala is in my garage and my mustang is in my neighbors garage. I need a bigger garage.

Adventure till you drop
Old 06-05-2015, 11:22 PM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

Yea, don't we all!
Old 06-06-2015, 05:30 AM   #28
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
That's awesome rodder. I hope all works out. I'm sure it's a beautiful car. Be sure to share some pics on Monday.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:10 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Man I would love to come across a deal like this come on 5000+ miles how sweet a garage queen

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:00 PM   #30
Registered Member

Regular

Here are pictures of the outside before my phone died.
To be continued............................
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2015, 09:42 AM   #31
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
With 5500 original miles and all stock that dude should get $25k for it all day. I hope he walked out of the dealership laughing hysterically when they offered him $13k for it, I would have.

Guy I work with had an 03 Chrome Yellow with 28k miles, a few bolt ons and a pulley and a dealer gave him $19k for it and then financed him for a $24k 2011 Coyote with 20-something thousand miles on it. Termi was paid off so he just did a 3 year real low interest loan on $6k and I think he paid it off in like 4 months lol.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT